Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all of you for your input on the fact that the Burgman 400 comes with the windshield, contrary to what the dealer first told me. I shared with him information from all of you and he said it was "a mistake"... It does come with the windshield. The cost is $4799, out the door. I'm responsible for registration. It is a 2003 model that has been on their floor since October 2003. Another dealer told me that his cost for the 2004 400 Burgman is $4798. He also said that there is no difference between the 2003 and the 2004 models, except for the colors. He also said that most dealers pay interest on a scooter after a period of time, and so this other dealer is probably anxious to get it off the floor. He did say that $4799 was still a good deal for a 2003 model.

If there's anything that I am missing here, I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks again. This is the first time that I have participated in a forum, and am really enjoying it. By the way, I don't type! I use a dictation program through which I talk to my computer and the words are printed. Sometimes you may see a crazy mistake that the computer makes! At least that's my excuse! Best wishes, Bob Dorsett

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It still sounds to me that the dealer was trying to recover some of their floorplanning costs by "selling" the windshield as an option. It sounds more like a fraudulent act than a "mistake".

I think I might buy the machine and run - find another dealer for my future service and accessories business. You can't really prove it - and I wouldn't burn bridges, since you might unavoidably need something from them at some point in the future. But if there is blatant dishonesty in the sales transaction, that lack of ethics probably spreads to other areas of the dealership. The "other dealer" you talked to would probably be very happy to provide service on the machine, and they seemed to be more open and direct.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bob,

There are only 2 minor differences between the 2003 and 2004 models: The small gloveboxs have a different design and a plastic piece in front of the kickstand to deflect water away from the bike. Neither of these were enough to tempt me into 2004 over the 2003 for the price difference. To give the dealer the benefit of doubt, many of the salesmen may not know much about the Burgmans. It may have been dealer ignorance. I would probably bet on it being a ploy to increase the price or to use 'giving the windshield for free' as a closing tool to seal the deal. I agree with Paul. Take the bike at that price and find another dealer to do business with in the long haul.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
There are only 2 minor differences between the 2003 and 2004 models: The small gloveboxs have a different design and a plastic piece in front of the kickstand to deflect water away from the bike.
I wasn't aware of the small glovebox redesign - I like the ones on my '03 though. I'll take a look if my dealer has an '04 left on the floor - they don't stay on the floor very long though - sales have been good.

The rain deflector is no big deal - you can buy one from Ron Ayers online for a couple of bucks and install it yourself. I bought one, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts