Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

As some know, I went to a NAPA store and bought the missing 4 mounting bolts and installed the Corbin. I have 3 DIFFERENT e mails, all from Oneida stating if I pay return shipping to Corbin direct they will either rpair, OR replace my seat and I will, OR Corbin will pay return shipping back to me as well, depending on WHICH e mail from 3 DIFFERENT Oneida reps?.....I have e mailed AND called Corbin for 2 straight days for what would REALLY happen if I return the seat to them as Oneida demands. NO ANSWER!!!! I get put on voice mail etc. I do not want to send this thing ANYWHERE without a straight answer. So, I have decided to do the following.

A friend and customer of mine owns an upholtery shop. Just found out today he specializes in Custom Motorcycle seats. He looked at my little 1/2" tear and laughed. Said to take the seat off and give him $20.00 and a day to fix it. DONE Deal! Will give it to him next week. He ALSO said I should give him my stock seat to "rework". I will also do that next week. No matter HOW it turns out. Why?
I am 6'2" tall but with only 29" inseam. Don't mind my feet not being flat footed at stop lights, but the Corbin ALSO pushes you BACK 2-3 inches. I have adjusted my handle bars and ridden 300 miles in 2 days TRYING in vain to not be leaning forward ala crotch rocket. NO dice. The seat will just not work for me I fear? I will see what he can do with my stock seat. IF he can create the same type "bucket" you sit "IN" like with a Corbin, I'll sell my new Corbin if anyone is interested? Will give it a couple weeks to sort all out.
Two things have changed FOREVER. As a customer of Corbin's for 20+ years AND as a customer of Oneida since they BEGAN, I QUIT BOTH OF THEM Forever, PERIOD. I will be just a small dent (if even that) to their business, but I am DONE with these companies. As far as I am concerned, Oneiday may even have some scam going to send me a used of "defective" seat they pick up cheap then stiff Corbin??? I just don't know but NEITHER of them return my calls OR e mails. SCREW EM BOTH!
If anyone wants my Oneida $20.00 "Discount Coupon", let me know, I'll give it to ya, Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Locate the wires (in front) and gently pull the up. There is a white snap plug, then un-plug. There should be enough slack to pull it up far enough.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Finally figured it out and went to install my new seat. Decided to wait for the wife to help since my back is junk. Noticed 2 problems. Problem #1- It sez:"using the provided
M6 x16MM HHCS bolts, your Corbin saddle will attach to the hinged mounting
bracket the same as the OEM seat". Well, mine HAS no such bolts.

Problem #2: I see I have a small tear on the right nose of the NEW sear about 3/4" ling right along the seam. Like a slit. NEVER had any problems befor from Oneida, but I have a BAD feeling on this one.

Plus NOW my scoot is apart in the garage. Here goes.... :x

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pappy said:
Problem #2: I see I have a small tear on the right nose of the NEW sear about 3/4" ling right along the seam. Like a slit. NEVER had any problems befor from Oneida, but I have a BAD feeling on this one.
If there is damage on the seat, I would contact Oneida (or Corbin) before mounting it on the bike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billmeek said:
Pappy said:
If there is damage on the seat, I would contact Oneida (or Corbin) before mounting it on the bike.
Yep, just did. They first responded that the California factory (near me) is shipping me the bolts. I already have my 12V cable to the light threaded and was having the wife head out to the hardware store to get "something" when she saw it. Just e maile Oneida. Will see. I feel sick now. I wanted this seat so BAD! Now God know how long I'll be down...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
billmeek said:
Hopefully, they have another seat in stock and can get it to you quickly.
I just went to their website and notice they have "no returns on seats". Period. I'll wait and see. NEVER had this kind of thing happen so never paid much attention before. HEARD horror stories about Oneida personally but always defended them. I have hope they do the right thing. They can see I e mailed them within 2 hours of receipt. I have to believe they won't hang me out to dry.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pappy said:
billmeek said:
Pappy said:
Well,

It seems I am going to WAR with Oneida. Even though I notified them of the problems withing minutes of opening the box, they only offer me a partial solution. They want me to pay my OWN shipping to the factory, have it repaired plus pay return shipping. This is NOT acceptable to me! I guess I'll just issue a charge back on my credit card to buy me some time to yank BACK on them. NOT a happy day. I have some kind of Corbin "jinx" I guess. Here I have had trouble on my Harley's with Corbin seats but THIS is probably a problem with Oneida instead. I just have some kind of "MOJO" when even saying the word Corbin I guess. Sad because the seat LOOKS like it would be really comfy etc.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I would call Corbin directly, 800-538-7035 Toll Free and complain to them. I am almost sure they would back up their main business.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
casek said:
I would call Corbin directly, 800-538-7035 Toll Free and complain to them. I am almost sure they would back up their main business.
PS,

For the record, I would NEVER expect ANY help or "consideration" for any product I ever ordered that was NOT delivered to me "damaged". That is, if I damage or disfigure any product bacause I am an idiot (been KNOWN to happen!), I would NOT expect any slack or help in my self induced plight. In this case. I received the seat incomplete AND with a small cut. Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cooled down a bit and decided to keep my torn seat. I don't have a CLUE how to STOP the now 1" tear at the front of the seat (near pan) from growing. I assume in the end it will cost me over $120.00 round trip shipping and still risk getting somehow charged for repairs. So, Trish went and bought mounting studs and we put the dmaned thing on. I figure i just need to find a way to STOP the tear from growing. I can put a "matching" little patch on the other front side. NOT in any place I can feel. Anyone have idea's on how to arrest this tear?
I was expecting higher seating but my GOD! This seems more than 2"! Second thing I noticed and LOVE is I now have a sort of "pocket" to sit back into. And I MEAN "BACK". My arms now barely reach the bars. I have to find out how to remove the plastic and hope to adjust my bars back. Sadly, they look like they may already BE all the way back? 3rd thing I noticed was the ROCK hardness. Not worried yet as my Russell Daylong Saddles were hard also (but not THIS hard!), and never caused any pain.
Only rode it 5 miles. Don't care my little legs don't even reach the ground anymore. OR that my legs don't even let my feet reach the front of the floorboards! AMAZING.... I feel like I'm on an Enduro now instead a low, fast scooter. Unnerving but what the Hell. Will put some miles on and quit bitching for awhile. Promise! Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stormsteed said:
I am amazed to hear stories like this one and like the one about the Gustaffson screen... Vendors with deplorable customer service. Since the Corbin seat was just created for the Burgman, the few people who have it are still the "evaluators", and their experiences can really make or break the decisions of others sitting on the fence about doing this mod. Big companies like Oneida and Corbin are really doing themselves a disservice by this type of policy.

A few years ago, I remodeled my kitchen. I bought all of the cabinets from IKEA and they were shipped to my house, all requiring assembly. While unpacking one of the cabinets, I dropped one of the shelves and it disfigured. I was horrified and upset because it was my error. I called IKEA and explained what happened... not three days later, an entire new cabinet was delivered to my door at no charge, whatsover. I did not even have to return the faulty one. Now, I realize I probably spent about $5,000 altogether, and the one cabinet was probably only $300, but still... That experience cemented IKEA's reputation for me, and although they are about 70 minutes from my house, I go out of my way to take advantage of their smart and practical wares.

Oneida, Corbin and Gustaffson should do themselves a favor and read these forums... much can be learned about how they could ensure good return business and new business by word-of-mouth. As it stands right now, I'm impressed with none of them.
On a surprizing note. Corbin called me a week ago about the backrest I was considering. An EXTREMELY nice woman (who barely spoke English) was SO nice and SO helpful, I almost bought it direct from Corbin. GLAD I waited as I seem to feel I won't need it on this seat? But they sure were nice compared to my Harley days. Also, in this case of damaged goods FOM ONEIDA (NOT Corbin, it was Corbin who offered to fix it IF I paid round trip shipping. This in itself makes me thing better about "Corbin". But I feel Oneida can shove it. I'm still too upset to thing better....Mike

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Your seat will "Break-In" and get real comfortable quickly. Mine started out pretty firm then loosened up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok,

As some know, I went to a NAPA store and bought the missing 4 mounting bolts and installed the Corbin. I have 3 DIFFERENT e mails, all from Oneida stating if I pay return shipping to Corbin direct they will either rpair, OR replace my seat and I will, OR Corbin will pay return shipping back to me as well, depending on WHICH e mail from 3 DIFFERENT Oneida reps?.....I have e mailed AND called Corbin for 2 straight days for what would REALLY happen if I return the seat to them as Oneida demands. NO ANSWER!!!! I get put on voice mail etc. I do not want to send this thing ANYWHERE without a straight answer. So, I have decided to do the following.

A friend and customer of mine owns an upholtery shop. Just found out today he specializes in Custom Motorcycle seats. He looked at my little 1/2" tear and laughed. Said to take the seat off and give him $20.00 and a day to fix it. DONE Deal! Will give it to him next week. He ALSO said I should give him my stock seat to "rework". I will also do that next week. No matter HOW it turns out. Why?
I am 6'2" tall but with only 29" inseam. Don't mind my feet not being flat footed at stop lights, but the Corbin ALSO pushes you BACK 2-3 inches. I have adjusted my handle bars and ridden 300 miles in 2 days TRYING in vain to not be leaning forward ala crotch rocket. NO dice. The seat will just not work for me I fear? I will see what he can do with my stock seat. IF he can create the same type "bucket" you sit "IN" like with a Corbin, I'll sell my new Corbin if anyone is interested? Will give it a couple weeks to sort all out.
Two things have changed FOREVER. As a customer of Corbin's for 20+ years AND as a customer of Oneida since they BEGAN, I QUIT BOTH OF THEM Forever, PERIOD. I will be just a small dent (if even that) to their business, but I am DONE with these companies. As far as I am concerned, Oneiday may even have some scam going to send me a used of "defective" seat they pick up cheap then stiff Corbin??? I just don't know but NEITHER of them return my calls OR e mails. SCREW EM BOTH!
If anyone wants my Oneida $20.00 "Discount Coupon", let me know, I'll give it to ya, Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pappy said:
Ok,

For any and ALL who want to use my Discount coupon, here's the number: Gift Certificate ID: E83414B4C1939F84 . Enjoy, whoever can trust these snakes....Mike

8/27/04:

After several e mails and phone calls I now have a promise from Corbin to replace my seat with an all new "CLOSE" model when production starts in approx. 4 weeks. It will be lower and put me closer to the bars like the stock seat. If this comes to pass, I WILL be a happy old dude. Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts