Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this review but I can't tell who wrote it .. http://burgmanusa.com/corbin_reviewcontent.htm

I have a question.. I just had one shipped to me that I bought from another member here.. I went over it in detail today.. and had a few questions..

I'll ask them here, but these would be best considred by someone who has installed one of these..
I see, on the stock seat, a plastic protrusion on the pan, that extends from the seat, into the body of the scoot.. it looks about 1n inch wide and about 2 to3 inches long.. When the seat closes, it goes into a hole in the scoot. It's not on the Corbin.. what is that and do I have to remove the one on the stock seat and re-install on the new seat pan? It looks like it's molded into the original, but I may be wrong on that.

I see some solid rubber round bumpers on the stock seat.. do these come off and is there a place to re-install on the Corbin pan? How are they removed? I expected to see a screw in the middle of them, but they look solid.

I see a rubber gasket both around the the opening under the seat (obviously I leave that)and a rubber gasket on the bottom of the stock pan as well. Do I have to somehow remove that and re-install it on the Corbin pan? I don't see a spot for that. I have a 2012 650 if that makes a difference..

I'm not great at winging it.. and I want to be clear about what has to happen before I start tearing things apart.. ..
THanks..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Take some pictures of what your referring too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't post pictures here as I don't have a membership to photobucket.. but I'll try to find a pic in the many project photos.. it'sstock.. so I'm sure there is one .. I went to LeDude's site..

On this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbIMh0ZqX7A&feature=plcp
at 36-37 seconds hit the "pause"... odd, I did it twice and there is a different frame (by about a second or so) each time I stopped..)

Directly above his hand is the little protrusion thing... and above his wrist.. and above his hand and to the right are the solid rubber bumpers that I asked about.. You can also see the rubber gasket at this spot that runs around the bottom of the seat pan..
As long as I am asking.. wouldn't it make more sense to leave the bottom of the gas support strut attached at the bottom and just remove the cotter pin and clevis pin at the top on the seat pan (after removing the bracket from the old pan and putting it on the new Corbin pan).. and then re-attaching it..

Sorry for being dense.. but I realy don't want to messup my bike..
THanks..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I guess you are referring to that finger looking thing. It is nothing. It slides into a loop, my guess is to keep the seat lined up as it latches in the rear. Since Corbin makes their own seat pans they eliminated the need for it or feel that it is not required.

All you should have to worry about is the 4 nuts at the front, the light connection and the seat latch in the rear.

From my experience, Suzuki has a very thin construction material. To supplement that, they added extra bends and bridges to increase the sturdyness as the middle section would be the weakest. In case you have not compared, the Corbin is much heavier and has no series of grooves or fancy designs. They also tend to fall down unless supported by a better shock.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.. that makes sense.. Suzuki probably has those rubber posts to reduce flexing too.. I was concerned that the finger thing.. might trip some sort of safety switch and I was worried I needed that.. clear enough..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about that gasket on the stock seat.. There's still a gasket on the scoot body opening.. but I am curious about that.. I had underseat storage that leaked on my Piaggio and I don't want to deal with that again..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just install the seat like Cary instructed it won't leak. If you get tired of the thing falling down all the time I make the Super Seat support that replaces the weak gas strut Mark

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just install the seat like Cary instructed it won't leak. If you get tired of the thing falling down all the time I make the Super Seat support that replaces the weak gas strut Mark
Great.. I'll probably see how much that bothers me.. (and I'm sure it will). Sorry to be indulging in more detail than necessary but I have a long history of messing things up... over muscling bolts, stripping screws, etc so I want to be sure I get it.. before I start..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So.. I am trying (still) to install that seat and I have another problem.. sorry. referring to the video above (if necessary).. it has to do with the gas cylinder support strut.. and how it is mounted to the stock seat..

It is held onto the stock seat by 2 10mm nuts.. No big deal to remove.. I did that... this allowed me to open the seat further and get decent access to the bolts all the way forward on the seat mounting bracket.. I have fat hands.. .. great..

Ok. so I removed the two nuts.. and the bracket came off .. (of course, nothing holding it on now).. BUT the stock seat has two threaded bolts mounted into the stock seat pan.. do those unscrew? No one said anything about that.. I don't want to break them loose and cause an issue.. on the Corbin pan there are two threaded holes , i suspect that will receive these two threaded headless bolts.. My question is should I unscrew those so I can use them for the bracket on the new seat?

I suspect the answer is yes.. but I don't want to barge ahead without checking..
No one mentioned these..
Thanks..

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I'm not sure if the threaded studs will unscrew from the stock seat or not. All depends on how they were attached in the first place. If they are screwed into inserts they would just screw out. If on the other hand they are molded into the seat pan they would not.

My Corbin seat came with two bolts that are used to hold the bracket on instead of the stud and nut arrangement that the stock seat used. I don't know if Corbin supplied those or not. I bought it used so the previous owner may have bought them after the fact. If your seat came with a hardware packet you might look and see if there are a couple of bolts in it to fit in those holes. If not you should be able to get some at a hardware store. They would be the same size and pitch as the nuts you took off the stock seat's studs so you could just take those down and get two bolts the same size.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.. I bought mine used as well.. I used a pai rof vice grips on the studs and they didn't budge,, I didn't want to strip them so I just put all the stock stuff back together and took my fiorst ride of the season.. it wasalmost 50 degrees and the roads were dry.. so I set my priorities.. That's pretty much what I thought about getting some little bolts.. but worth a question..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
OK, I finally got out in the garage and snapped some photos for you. The studs you are referring to are a flat top and are spot welded to a flat piece of metal that is used for a base plate.

The holder for the seat strut and the 4 bolts used to hold the seat on are done the same way. Not sure how you would approach this, but if you wanted to follow the Suzuki model you would have to remove the seat cover and the foam pad to place it thru the top.

I took the pictures of both the strut bolts and the 4 bolts that secure the seat at the front. I guess all those seats in my garage are useful after all.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK.. I am wondering if there is a parts kit offered by Corbin.. There are threaded recepticles in the Corbin pan.. I called and Corbin does not offer that.. I have ot go to a Corbin dealer..
Strange.. everyone says all I have to do is remove 6 bolts and put the seat on.. apparently not.. more to it than that.. that sucks..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You should only have to remove 4 nuts to get the seat on. Those in the front nose piece of the seat. I had a corbin seat before and thats all it was. It did not have a strut for the seat. I do not remember if it had the connector on the seat.

I would bet if you tapped 2 holes in the seat pan, put in two bolts and the nut, you could put the piece from your stock seat onto the corbin. It might look a little funny, but it would work. If it does not fit properly, just force it. It will fit if you beat it hard enough...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are threaded receptacles in the Corbin pan.. I just loked at the Corbin site.. and if yiu look long enough (under the "notes" section for the specific seat model).. They give you the size and thread for the bolts.. I can just go to a Loews or Home depot and buy some.. Basically the difference is that there afre nuts on the stock seat and the Corbin requires bolts.. that threw me as I was not expecting that.. Corbin will not sell me the parts needed.. their dealaer won't either as Corbin does not have a specific parts # on the parets kit., so I have to use the description of the parts and buy them.. Just an unexpected wrinkle but doable.,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi North, It sounds to me like you & Cary are talking about 2 different things. The corbin seat should have 4 studs at the front that go threw the seat hinge. You are correct in stating you could use bolts but it would be much easier to mount with studs. They should be available at your local hardware store, you just have to identify the thead size & pitch. Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
North, I was looking threw my papers & found the original instructions that came with the Corbin seat. It says you need 4 bolts M6 by 16 MM long. If you would like I could probably fax you the instructions.You can reach me @ 732-267-4389. Mark

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You gave me what I need. that info is on the Corbinn site as well.. Nothing is ever easy.. as the saying goes.. seems likeCorbin could have tried to use the same system.. but it is doable..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts