Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had no problems with the cooling fan...Usually I come home and it runs for maybe 30 seconds and it shuts off..Today it is 97 here in San Antonio. I got home and the fan continues to run. I don't want to turn the key off until the fan shuts off but I don't want to leave the key on and kill the battery..The temperature guage on the the dash says 105.
What should I do? Thanks...

08 Executive

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have had no problems with the cooling fan...Usually I come home and it runs for maybe 30 seconds and it shuts off..Today it is 97 here in San Antonio. I got home and the fan continues to run. I don't want to turn the key off until the fan shuts off but I don't want to leave the key on and kill the battery..The temperature guage on the the dash says 105.
What should I do? Thanks...

08 Executive
I usually put the kick stand down and the fan runs for 15-30 seconds. Went out and started it and the fan comes on. I started it again and the fan came on...temperature now says 97 however when I put the kick stand down the fan runs. Then I turned the red power button off instead of the kick stand and the fan motor shuts off..Perhaps I need to lubricate the kick stand switch....

· Premium Member
8,531 Posts
temperatures do spike after engine is shut off, cooling water from the radiator is not circulating to the engine, the fan is a dunction of the temp switch ah heck,,, naw it aint gonna hurt anything to shut it down, if it NEVER goes off you got a problem

· Premium Member
4,246 Posts
I’m always trying to baby my battery and hate having Always On Headlights. I’ve had cars that the fan would run after shutting off the ignition…maybe us Texans should do a mod to have the fan run and shut off after parking ?

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I’ve had cars that the fan would run after shutting off the ignition…
So have I... Used to get told it was because coolant was still absorbing engine heat, so still pressure in there, so chance of head gasket blowing.
Strange thing is, it was never a problem when we had belt driven fans that stopped when the engine did.

· Administrator
16,962 Posts
I would just let it run after shut down for 30 seconds and then 'Key Off' and walk away. It will not hurt anything.

Back in the Carbrated days of the Chrysler 2.2 4 cylinder days the engine would heat soak the Carb and boil the fuel out. The Catalytic Converter was 1 foot away under the carb. So they added a 'Timed' fan run system that would run for 2-3 minutes to purg that heat down and out. It killed a lot of batteries.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would just let it run after shut down for 30 seconds and then 'Key Off' and walk away. It will not hurt anything.

Back in the Carbrated days of the Chrysler 2.2 4 cylinder days the engine would heat soak the Carb and boil the fuel out. The Catalytic Converter was 1 foot away under the carb. So they added a 'Timed' fan run system that would run for 2-3 minutes to purg that heat down and out. It killed a lot of batteries.
I have cleaned and lubed both the side and stand switch. The fan only turns off if I turn off the power switch. I've gotten used to putting the side stand down to kill the engine then turning the key off. Could there be a relay switch that is keeping the fan running once I turn the power on. This has never happened before. Could the thermostat be bad or the water pump be causing problems.....It is not over heating-the fan is just running as long as the power switch is on.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
temperatures do spike after engine is shut off, cooling water from the radiator is not circulating to the engine, the fan is a dunction of the temp switch ah heck,,, naw it aint gonna hurt anything to shut it down, if it NEVER goes off you got a problem
It NEVER goes off....so I have a problem....someone in this great community surely must have had and solved this problem before

· Premium Member
8,531 Posts
for a 650 08 model I can't be specific, since mine is a 15, but there are a couple things that can cause it, you mention a temp of 105, that's ambient, not engine or water temp and it's bout useless here in Fla . my 650 has bar indicators to measure eng temp and normally runs 3 bars, there's a temp switch for the cooling system that turns on the fan that may be stuck , it's on the radiator on my 15, somebody with an 08 should be able to help a lot more than me.

· Registered
965 Posts
temperatures do spike after engine is shut off, cooling water from the radiator is not circulating to the engine,
That’s actually kind of a very popular old wives tale. The temperature sensor in the coolant can rise in temperature after the engine is stopped, but the engine actually starts cooling, the moment it stops. The only source of energy in the engine, is the combustion of fuel, and that conversion to heat energy, ceases the moment the engine stops. The actual engine at the moment you shut it off, is the same temperature it was a moment ago, when running, and starts cooling as the much hotter parts- that being, the pistons, cylinders, and head chambers, thermally conduct heat to the now stagnant water and adjacent metals.

· Registered
965 Posts

Yup, the dreaded 2.2.
The other heat related drawback to carbureted engines like that , is that they continue to draw in a mist of idle circuit fuel into the cylinders while engine rpm’s ramp down to 0 with when the ignition is shut off, and no spark is present. This provides a wet fuel/ potential heat source in the hot stationary cylinders that can convert to heat energy right after shutdown.
Fuel injection has the advantage of cutting fuel at the same time as the spark is cut, so there’s no unwanted fuel drawn in the hot engine as it ramps down.

· Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
I usually let it run, but don't think it makes a lot of difference either way.
If it does kill your battery...Good. I'd much rather have it die at home than elsewhere.
If your battery is so weak that that's an issue you should replace it.
If you are that concerned about battery health & longevity, get a battery tender. It'll do far more for your battery than a couple minutes of running your fan ever will.

· Registered
965 Posts
I’ve had cars that the fan would run after shutting off the ignition…
In that case , the radiator fan runs, but the engine coolant pump is stopped. Pretty useless, other than the case, where you ran into the store, and started your hot vehicle back up a few minutes later. In that case, the fan reduced the temperature of the radiator coolant, plus some negligible stratification movements within the coolant system, and your starting temperature is a bit lower

· Registered
965 Posts
More of a problem with later stuff where you have different metals expanding contracting at different rates
Older aluminum head/iron block engines had to contend with the prevalent exhaust design of the day, being high mass cast iron exhaust manifolds, conducting high residual heat back to the aluminum head on a shutdown engine lacking the moving cooling that flow ls through the head when running.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for a 650 08 model I can't be specific, since mine is a 15, but there are a couple things that can cause it, you mention a temp of 105, that's ambient, not engine or water temp and it's bout useless here in Fla . my 650 has bar indicators to measure eng temp and normally runs 3 bars, there's a temp switch for the cooling system that turns on the fan that may be stuck , it's on the radiator on my 15, somebody with an 08 should be able to help a lot more than me.
Your right it was the ambient temp. My scoot always runs 3 bars. I will look at my original service manual for a temp switch....Thanks for your imput.
I usually let it run, but don't think it makes a lot of difference either way.
If it does kill your battery...Good. I'd much rather have it die at home than elsewhere.
If your battery is so weak that that's an issue you should replace it.
If you are that concerned about battery health & longevity, get a battery tender. It'll do far more for your battery than a couple minutes of running your fan ever will.
My battery is old but I always keep it on a battery tender and it maintains 12 volts. Going to check my service manual for a temp switch that MikeyMarine mentioned. I replaced my fan about a year ago because it wasn't working.....I don't want it working full time now....only want it to work when it is supposed to be working.Thanks

· Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Sorry musta missed the part where it was not shutting off at all.

Your right it was the ambient temp. My scoot always runs 3 bars. I will look at my original service manual for a temp switch....Thanks for your imput.

My battery is old but I always keep it on a battery tender and it maintains 12 volts. Going to check my service manual for a temp switch that MikeyMarine mentioned. I replaced my fan about a year ago because it wasn't working.....I don't want it working full time now....only want it to work when it is supposed to be working.Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.