Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered my cooling fan is dead. Went through the troubleshooting... fuse good, then I found that it doesn't rotate freely. Is replacement a huge deal? can someone with reasonably good ability do it? Is it possible to do without draining the radiator? Haven't fully explored yet but the manual shows only three screws and an electrical connection. Doesn't look like a lot of room behind the front tire though. I'd like to hear from someone that has done it. Also should I buy a new one or used?

Frank

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I fixed the wiring problem mine had, I had to pull the radiator loose. It wasn't so hard as it was time consuming. Mine was also binding, slightly bent fan frame probably from the rock or debrie that bounced up and "cut" one of the wires. I pulled it loose and put a couple of washers between the radiator and the fan, and then it spun free.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It would help if we knew if you had a 400 or a 650. Suggest adding it to your bike type verbiage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Buffalo and MarylinsPrince:

As you can see above, I corrected that problem. It's a 650; and MarylinsPrince, I'm going to pull mine and see why it barely spins. Might save some money. I assumed that if it wasn't turning freely the motor was burned up.

Thanks to you both

Frank

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I agree with MarylinsPrince, check to see if it is dragging on the radiator before you buy a new one. A number of folks have had the fan mount get bent so that the fan drags and just straightening it out solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
As for the question of how hard is it to replace the fan, it's not a big deal at all. It's simple to remove and replace. There is a bolt on the left hand side of the radiator you can loosen to swing the radiator out to gain access it it. If that does not get you enough room, go over on the right side and remove the two bolts that attach the hinge and you can pull it even further forward. There should be no need to drain the radiator.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi Frank. You might get some useful info from this topic:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/87458-aftermarket-radiator-cooling-fan.html

I was very unimpressed with the design and construction of the OEM fan so I went with a MUCH less expensive aftermarket one.

I pulled the radiator and overflow tank and cleaned them thoroughly. If you haven't changed coolant within the last 2-3 years, this is a good time to take care of it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
for somebody's info. I had same problem, fan rubbing housing. I shimmed mine with washers some thousands of miles ago. just before trip out west, the problem returned. took it to shop with 60k miles. they replaced for $500+.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced the fan on my '03 Burgman 650 with an aftermarket fan I bought from Amazon. My original fan kept blowing fuses whenever I encountered stop and go traffic on hot days. The replacement fan is 5" in diameter and all plastic. I did have to remove the radiator to remove the old fan assembly and install the new fan. You do have to cut the wiring to splice in the thermostatic off and on switch.

To refill the coolant, I used a garden sprayer with the tip removed and bent at a 90 degree angle. This was much simpler than using a funnel with a flexible hose.

Do a search on this forum like I did and you'll find the thread which details the replacement fan.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
for somebody's info. I had same problem, fan rubbing housing. I shimmed mine with washers some thousands of miles ago. just before trip out west, the problem returned. took it to shop with 60k miles. they replaced for $500+.
A memorable trip is worth much more than $500, but if it hadn't been for the trip, I bet you would have spent some time finding a different solution.

Also, from what I've read, you might very well end up with the scoot being stranded in the shop because of back-ordered parts, like the people insisting on getting an identical OEM rectifier/regulator to the one that just burned out on them, instead of a readily available and superior alternative part, requiring minor modification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts