Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Premium Member
You can test the old thermostat by putting it in a pan of water bring to the boil and it should open.
Is your rad full, is the expansion bottle at the high level mark, have you got a 50/50 coolant mix, is it good or tired old coolant change it if more than 2 years. Fan should kick in when coolant temperature nudges 4 bars. Is the Rad cap good. Check the oil filler cap for creamy deposits if there are any suspect head gasket.
add noodles and carrots, then lunch will be ready when the test is over

Registered
Mikey you are being silly. One never put noodles in with carrots it will be like squirrrl poop by the time the carrots are cooked. You stick to K reactions leave the cooking to us Army boys.:D馃榿
Great. Now I need to get to Ye Olde War Surplus Store and pick up some some MREs just to test cooking them on the Burgman's engine. Is there enough room under the cover for an entree pouch? Then I need to find some arming wire to make a holder for the pouch... :)

Premium Member
bwaahaha your experiences are showing.!!!

Reactions: Rusty J

Administrator
In about 1977 we had what was called a two day 'Road March' from Ft Ord (Moneray CA) to 29 Palms Marine Corp base . We left Ft Ord (Closed base is now Calf State Uni) and drove to Bakersfield for the first night stop. Our planed 2 meals for the two days was C-Rats with a cooked Supper meal at Bakersfield CA.

I was driving a 2 1/2 ton cargo truck with a huge diesel engine.

In Bakersfield a couple of us went down to market and bought some grub fixens. I had Yukon Gold Potatoes and 2 nice cuts of Pork, a 7 pound pork Pork Butt and a 12 pound shoulders. Salt, pepper and garlic rubbed.
A few guys had different items. Every thing was wrapped in foil. At 6 AM I put the pork shoulder and butt on the sides of the trucks exhaust manifold and the potatoes went up on the radiator and started the engine. We pulled out at 8 AM after breakfast. Our first stop, lunch and a C-Rat, was 3.5 hours out of Bakersfield at 35 MPH. I rotated the items around. The smell was real good.
Our dinner stop 3 hours later we all gathered the food and shared with all the guys. We had Tacos, corn on the cob, rice, beef roast, vegies, roasted pork, potatoes.
It was a very nice "Tail Gate Party" throw together meal to add to our C-Rats. We still had 2.5 hours to go to 29 Palms. Was so full it was hard to stay awake. I did not organize this, one of our Mess Sergeants did.

Premium Member
best smelling army convoy in America! (and some of them can get pretty smelly)

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I'm still waiting on new water pump. Once installed I'll have a new thermo switch. thermostat, radiator cap and new water pump. The radiator is clean but I may flush. The hoses are in good condition. I'm extremely doubtful I have a blown head gasket because there was no sign of oil in coolant or coolant in the oil. By the way, I tested the old thermostat.....it worked. Since I'm replacing everything I won't know what the problem was assume I have fixed it.

Registered
The water pump is mechanical and driven by the engine. Normally not much goes wrong apart from the oil seal and this is indicated by coolant dripping from the back of the pump. The impeller is plastic and if the fins are good and it spins freely on the bearings probably nothing wrong with it.

Administrator
Just follow the burping procedures when refilling the coolant.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32

Premium Member
yeeaaah, but keep your speed below 60 mph and try to use straight roads when your head is down there :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts