Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a refurbishment of the engine on my 400 K4 and today it was time to start. I filled up with coolant, but began to fill the expansion tank, because I felt it was easier to refill there. But the tank become quickly full and then I tried to fill in the "big hole". Started the engine and heated it up for about 30 minutes. Opened the air bleeding but the coolant level does not sink into the exp container. What could it be? I have recycled the coolant I drained, so I have control over how much liquid I filled up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You need to fill the radiator first slowly as it takes time. Squeeze the coolant hoses to get the air out. The expansion tank is exactly that. As water heats it expands and this takes it from the radiator. As the radiator cools it sucks the coolant back in. You will note the expansion tank bottom is lower than the radiator so you can't fill the radiator from the expansion tank. If you haven't filled the radiator your bike will overheat.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I did mine I tried to skip the air bleed hole step because getting to it is a PITA requiring plastic removal, but you really can't. After it's filled, open the bleed until coolant squirts out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Today, after the engine has cooled down, the liquid level in the expansion tank has returned to normal. So, everything seems be well. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts