Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming that regular automobile anti-freeze 50/50, silicate free (example- Prestone Good for all makes and models) is OK?
It's raining so I might as well wrench on the scoot. :?

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
That is what I use in my scoots.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was talking to my service dept. about engine coolant. When I said, "You're supposed to use distilled water only, right?" He said, "Yeah, that's the best way to do it." This told me one thing. They probably don't use distilled water when they do it. I wonder just how many service depts. actually do. Probably none. Now I know I'll be doing this myself. The mineral deposits and other contaminants in regular water is what causes corrosion. Use distilled water only and the radiator will probably last the life of the bike.

Sube

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
if you don't follow the bleed procedure as recommemnded be prepared for an unpleasant surprise, and a search fora solution in the bkb or the forums this is NOT a simple procedure like it should be

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I was aware of the bleed procedure. I plan on following the procedure to a "T". I must have watched the tutorial video (Mitch's) a half dozen times. I'll see what they have to add. Any way you look at it, I trust myself more than I trust my dealer's service department. Thus far, they haven't exactly instilled confidence in me. There are certain things I know I'll be in over my head with. For those things I'll get professional service. Changing the engine coolant is not one of those things.

*Link removed and post edited due to non Suzuki sanctioned material.

Sube

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
if you don't follow the bleed procedure as recommemnded be prepared for an unpleasant surprise, and a search fora solution in the bkb or the forums this is NOT a simple procedure like it should be
+10 on the need to bleed part :oops: :oops:

It also showed me how tough these little engines are to have survived my mistake and still not use oil or lose compression.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with maintenance on the K400 is.....EASY!!!! Too much tupperware......................... :( :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
V8eyedoc, it's just something you get used to. Take your time and all will be well. Some bikes are a little better than others. But to be honest, virtually ALL bikes, not just scooters now have to have the tanks and various bits of tupperware taken off. I've spent years doing it. My Vstrom 1000 had to have the tank, fairing and loads of other panels off for spark plugs to be changed (an easy job on the Burgman 400) and any other engine stuff except oil and filter. Took ages. The Burgman 400 is not really any different, but somewhat easier than my Vstrom and the 650 Burgman I think.

For coolant change, regarding the water to use. Tap water is ok if mixed properly with a good coolant and you use a high mix ratio as this neutralises the salts etc and lubes the seals. But distilled is best, but if you don't have any and you don't want to make pure distilled, you can use 'boiled water' that's been allowed to cool. Now some will say right away that the boiling process concentrates the minerals in the water. BUT...it does remove much of the calcium, the most harmful mineral for the engine, it releases the chlorine, and if left open to the air to cool will evap off some other chemicals. It's better than just using tap water. The engine antifreeze will of course neutralise salts and lube the pump seals.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
mikeyMarine said:
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with maintenance on the K400 is.....EASY!!!! Too much tupperware......................... :( :(

it's universal, I spent over 4 hours installing 3 new horns on my nissan versa yesterday, at least 80 percent of the time was tupperware time, but it doesn't sound like a clown car anymore :thumbup: although it still looks like one btw the wolo bad boy is great , douply great when you have 2, and 3 is enough to make neighbors dogs howl :twisted: my next scooter Will have at least one

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Why not just use pre-mixed coolant thats already at the 50/50 ratio?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Distilled water is not that hard to come by. Every supermarket sells it for dirt cheap. I already keep a supply for my humidifier. Not really that big of a deal. Now, removing the tupperware, that's another story.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am with happytech, why not just buy 50/50 premix and be done with it? Just make sure that it is not harmful to aluminum engines.

Bill

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK
if you don't bleed it, per Mitch video, what happens? Overheating? :|
Yeah, I saw the part about distilled water, in the owner's manual.
Pre-mixed is appealing, it's only 1.7 qts. after all :)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You get trapped air and overheating.

Chris

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Daboo said:
You get trapped air and overheating.

Chris
Listen to the ancient one - he's very correct. :oops: