Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a small convex mirror on my left mirror with double sided 3M tape. I never use it and would like to remove it. I'm afraid of cracking the flat stock mirror under it. Any suggestions on how to do it??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got mine off with a single side (like goes in a scraper) razor blade.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Warming it up with something like a hair dryer will soften the glue on the tape and make it easier to scrape off.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Alcohol does it fine! Isopropyl alcohol if you can get it. We used it all the time to remove 3m fixed items of body trim. Spray it on and around the item and start to tease it off. It will suddenly just uncouple itself without any strain whatsoever. Just be careful it won't unglue anything else you want to stay glued on. Try not to get it on paintwork if it has transfers on. They may come off too. Otherwise, some mild heat will help as Buffalo says. Get the hairdryer out.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Use piece 8-9 inch nylon fish string to cut sticky 3M backing tape with saw like motion between bike mirror surface and plastic base of convex mirror, this work extremely well, take 30 second to do job, no mess & no stress, not damage anything, once off clean balance of sticky tape left on bike mirror with lighter fluid or other product that dilutes and clean glue. Bike mirror look new again after.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Wish I knew all this stuff earlier today. I removed my amber reflectors with a heat gun. When the reflector started to bubble I knew the fairing could do the same. Duh! I was careful after that and lucky too. Popped them off then very slowly I pulled the adhesive off in one piece. A bit of WD40 and that was that. Sheesh!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alcohol does it fine! Isopropyl alcohol if you can get it. We used it all the time to remove 3m fixed items of body trim. Spray it on and around the item and start to tease it off. It will suddenly just uncouple itself without any strain whatsoever. Just be careful it won't unglue anything else you want to stay glued on. Try not to get it on paintwork if it has transfers on. They may come off too. Otherwise, some mild heat will help as Buffalo says. Get the hairdryer out.
It worked. I combined a couple of ideas from this thread. The alcohol first. Then the single sided razor. Then the thin fishing line. I cleaned up the residue with "Goo Gone". Then cleaned the mirror with windshield spray cleaner.

Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It worked. I combined a couple of ideas from this thread. The alcohol first. Then the single sided razor. Then the thin fishing line. I cleaned up the residue with "Goo Gone". Then cleaned the mirror with windshield spray cleaner.

Thanks guys for the help.

Have taken off Maxiview rear view swivel mirror to switch from bike, to bike, not need to use alcool or razor blade first, simply use fish line in U shape in saw motion and it cut easily sticky pad in few seconds, then clean off remaining sticky tape with lighter fluid or other glue remover type . This super easy job to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts