Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1982 Honda Silverwing for a project. I had not driven a clutch motorcycle in 30 some years so I was not sure of trusting myself with someone elses property. I just had the seller ride it up and down the street for me just to make sure nothing sounded funny. I got it home and finally straddled the bike. With my bad knees and hip that took some doing. I started out, getting used to shifting again. First thing I noticed was the abvious, I needed all 4 appendages to ride. What a bother. As soon as I wanted to notice something, oops I have to shift again. Also this thing is a turd compared to my Burg and Swing scooter. They run rings around this thing.

Riding a conventional Motorcycle after 3 years of scooters is like going to a Model T after my mini-van. What a Turd. It wont take long for me to get through this stage of my life.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Is it a 500 or a 650?

I had a regular CX500 and hated the high revs it was always running.
1st gear was ridiculously low and shifting gears was no pleasure.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
But in spite of all that (and your cooked knees) they are cool motorcycles. The CX 500/650 is one of the bikes on my short list that I always wanted to have but missed getting.

Enjoy your Silverwing...
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
9 Posts
The CX650 turbo is a gem of a machine and not that much heavier than a carbed 500, 135 mph is easy to reach on these machines but they are like hens teeth, I still use my old VT500E which was the 500cc Honda Vtwin model after the CX series, they have a very tall 6th gear which Honda called an overdrive resulting in only 5000 RPM @80 mph plus the bonus of shaft drive and the odd enclosed front cast iron disc brake

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
But in spite of all that (and your cooked knees) they are cool motorcycles. The CX 500/650 is one of the bikes on my short list that I always wanted to have but missed getting.

Enjoy your Silverwing...
Doug in Kentucky
I thought I wanted one too until I rode one my friend had (many years ago). It was a vibrating machine. He rode it 110,000 miles before he sold it. I also thought I wanted a Kawasaki Concours. This same friend replaced the Honda with a Concours. I rode it and I knew it was not for me before I got it out of 3rd gear. Tall, top heavy and buzzy did not do it for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a gl500 interstate. the 650 was only 1983. It is nice as a conversation piece and as soon as I can It will find a new owner. I,m going to stick with scooters.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Interstate? With the fairing, luggage, and topbox?

Those Water-Guzzis seemed remarkably cool.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I picked up a 1982 Honda Silverwing for a project. I had not driven a clutch motorcycle in 30 some years so I was not sure of trusting myself with someone elses property. I just had the seller ride it up and down the street for me just to make sure nothing sounded funny. I got it home and finally straddled the bike. With my bad knees and hip that took some doing. I started out, getting used to shifting again. First thing I noticed was the abvious, I needed all 4 appendages to ride. What a bother. As soon as I wanted to notice something, oops I have to shift again. Also this thing is a turd compared to my Burg and Swing scooter. They run rings around this thing.

Riding a conventional Motorcycle after 3 years of scooters is like going to a Model T after my mini-van. What a Turd. It wont take long for me to get through this stage of my life.
Just try a GL1800 Goldwing..........for quiet silky smooth ride. I have one.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well.......!!!!!!! What did you expect when you bought an A N T I Q U E..??

·
Registered
806 Posts
Suzuki's big single,the S40

I always liked the looks and sound of a thumper. I presently ride a Burgman 650.
While reading one of the national bike magazines I was surprised to find how deficient it was to the Burgman 650. The Suzuki S40 is considerably lighter with a larger engine yet it is lacking in almost all the things I like in the Burgman 650.
Such as a higher top speed, no vibration at cruising speed, loads of storage, protection from the weather ETC.

I got back into riding three years ago and bought a smaller scooter as my age was such as to limit me from riding a bicycle. I'm 82. I tried sitting on the new Honda automatic. Even with the low seat I had trouble throwing my leg over it.

I think my Burgy will be my last ride. It fulfils all my requirement for a fine riding machine.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I bought a 400 last year, it was to replace my old BMW R80RT. With my short inseam, the old airhead was tall for me. I kept my BMW R1200CLC for long trips because it was great on the interstate with cruise and had the heft that kept it from being blown around. However, after riding the 400 and occasionally riding the BMW, riding the BMW was work. On July 1, I was hit in the rear and the 400 was totaled. I replaced it with a 650. I found it was also a great road bike (except for the lack of cruise) and since I wasn't riding it, I sold the BMW R1200CLC. After 40+ years of riding motorcycles, it didn't seem right to only have a scooter. I then got on Craigs List and found a little V-Star 650 Midnight Custom with 700 miles on it. I found it to be light with a very low and narrow seat and it fit me perfectly with the $1,000 of accessories on it. You can keep it in high gear from about 30-35 MPH. I really enjoy riding it as it is a very traditional but smooth bike. The only thing modern about it is the self cancelling turn signals.

The 650 does everything better than the little V-Star and I use it for traveling and errands when I need to carry things. However, it doesn't have the personality or feel of a motorcycle and that I missed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just bought a B400 and took it out yesterday for my first real ride. The bike does everything well that everybody on the forums claimed it would do but like Osbornk said it lacks the personality and feel of a motorcycle, it was so car-like that I almost forgot to put my feet down at stops!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I know the feeling well. When I test-drove my 650 for the first time, I had the odd feeling that I was driving without a seatbelt! (Followed immediately by the realization I was doing 60 on a surface street...)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You should have bought a REAL motorcycle ;)ould

1 - 15 of 15 Posts