Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, :)

I am contemplating purchasing a 2013 Burgman 650 in the spring. I currently ride a Kymco Downtown 300i. My only concern is the weight of the Burgman (200+ pounds heavier). Any advice, tips, experiences? I'm 225lbs with a 30inch inseem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
I think that unless you have balance problem you should be good to go.

I bought my first Maxi this fall after being a life long motorcycle rider.
At 180 lbs , 5' 8" and a 28 " inseam I have no trouble with the Burgman.

My motorcycles have been everything from a Goldwing, a Harley, to a Triumph Bonneville and a V Strom over the last couple years. Throw in a couple BMW airheads to boot.

The Burgman does everything any of the others do and it's still flickable in the twisties.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
At 225 lbs. you should be strong enough to handle a 650. As you already know, all two wheeled vehicles require balance, that's all there is to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
+1 on being inseam challenged. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs with a 30' inseam. Depending where I position myself on seat, I can hold the bike up with confidence either on the balls of my feet, or fully flat-footed. With a little experience you will be able to handle the weight.

I trust serious commuting or touring is in your future, otherwise I'd recommend the 400.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DandyDoug said:
I think that unless you have balance problem you should be good to go.

I bought my first Maxi this fall after being a life long motorcycle rider.
At 180 lbs , 5' 8" and a 28 " inseam I have no trouble with the Burgman.

My motorcycles have been everything from a Goldwing, a Harley, to a Triumph Bonneville and a V Strom over the last couple years. Throw in a couple BMW airheads to boot.

The Burgman does everything any of the others do and it's still flickable in the twisties.
Thanks Doug!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bearcat said:
At 225 lbs. you should be strong enough to handle a 650. As you already know, all two wheeled vehicles require balance, that's all there is to it.
Gotcha Bearcat. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeff_MDR said:
+1 on being inseam challenged. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs with a 30' inseam. Depending where I position myself on seat, I can hold the bike up with confidence either on the balls of my feet, or fully flat-footed. With a little experience you will be able to handle the weight.

I trust serious commuting or touring is in your future, otherwise I'd recommend the 400.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the feedback Jeff!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
647 Posts
MisterSolo said:
Greetings all, :)

I am contemplating purchasing a 2013 Burgman 650 in the spring. I currently ride a Kymco Downtown 300i. My only concern is the weight of the Burgman (200+ pounds heavier). Any advice, tips, experiences? I'm 225lbs with a 30inch inseem.
I went from a sym rv250 to the 650, and the big difference was how easily the power rolls on , I needed to be a bit ess aggressive out of turns, the other was slow manouver with the extra weight, trick is to use little amounts of throttle and rear brake to stabalize but I love this scoot and I'm slowly, 1 rider at a time, 8) converting people to it. Cycle riders are always amazed at the speed and manouver ability
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
I too am 225 llbs with a 30" inseam and owned a 400 for 5 yrs and a 650 for 5 yrs and have had no problems with the seating in either one. The 650 is the way to go if you do alot of hwy driving, otherwise the 400 should be just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gbjbany said:
MisterSolo said:
Greetings all, :)

I am contemplating purchasing a 2013 Burgman 650 in the spring. I currently ride a Kymco Downtown 300i. My only concern is the weight of the Burgman (200+ pounds heavier). Any advice, tips, experiences? I'm 225lbs with a 30inch inseem.
I went from a sym rv250 to the 650, and the big difference was how easily the power rolls on , I needed to be a bit ess aggressive out of turns, the other was slow manouver with the extra weight, trick is to use little amounts of throttle and rear brake to stabalize but I love this scoot and I'm slowly, 1 rider at a time, 8) converting people to it. Cycle riders are always amazed at the speed and manouver ability
Thanks Gbjbany! Those are very valuable tips! I'm really looking forward to the spring and the 2013 Burgman! Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tomgin said:
I too am 225 llbs with a 30" inseam and owned a 400 for 5 yrs and a 650 for 5 yrs and have had no problems with the seating in either one. The 650 is the way to go if you do alot of hwy driving, otherwise the 400 should be just fine.
Very encouraging tomgin. Thanks for the feedback!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
MisterSolo said:
Greetings all, :)

I am contemplating purchasing a 2013 Burgman 650 in the spring. I currently ride a Kymco Downtown 300i. My only concern is the weight of the Burgman (200+ pounds heavier). Any advice, tips, experiences? I'm 225lbs with a 30inch inseem.
I'm right at 200 lbs and wear 34" inseam jeans. I can flatfoot my 650 Burgie at stops but just barely. There isn't a whole lot of extra room. I learned the hard way several times when the bike was new to me but after getting used to it I don't do that anymore. Just pay attention to the landscape where you plan to put your feet. Oh, and by the way the scoot is relatively easy to pick up in case you have one of those "moments".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
I have a 30" inseam and have no issues.. I went from an MP3 500 to my Burgman 650 and it did take some getting used to.. but that's life.. I had no idea how much the 2 front wheels help , really, with rolling the bike around.. So, I had to get used to it, but I love it.. a lot !
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top