Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know folks:

When I sold my 2002 Kaw Nomad FI, with all the trimmings, I pretty much said to myself, "its all down hill from here....' It was one of the -scratch that- - the best big bike I ever owned.

Before Burgie, I was kind of just shopping for a used put put, like an old reflex, helix, a new Vino 250...etc. That's when I saw the Burgman.

The sales dude had nothing to say about it AT ALL.

Afteer the ridiculous price quote of 7700 (ya'll know I paid 6650) I said, 'sheeet man, I'll buy a real motorcycle for that.

But as I did the research, alot of it right here, it became apparent this was no ordinary scooter.

My feelings were...'man, I'll never get used to a little 650cc scooter, man...what am I doing......' How will I live with this little bitty Burgman?

I was just ready for not being 'right' with the Burgman after riding big road bikes. It was the curse of the poisoned mind.

But since I've been riding Burgie, I just keep thinking...'This machine feels like a full size sport tourer, like a real road bike in every way. It is a REAL ROAD Bike.'

Im totally converted. I rode a 150 mile loop around Cape Ann without putting my feet down. I just rode again around town. And I asked myself, 'other than the slightly smaller wheel diameter, what does the Burgie not have ?'

It has it all; Power, handling, comfort (better than the Nomad for sure).

We are very fortunate people.

Can I hear an AMEN.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I keep thinking the same thing every time I ride! I was also dubious at first whether I was making the right decision, but not any more. With each ride, whether to work, or on my favorite backroads, I'm amazed at how good this machine is. I've been searching for the perfect bike for years and I think I've come as close as I'll ever get! You lurkers out there sitting on the fence, Don't hesitate, spring is here, DO IT!

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have yet to find anyone that doesn't like the looks of the burgy. Many start on one side and do a full 360 and then say something like.." Man, that's really NIIIIIIIIIIICE". Then the next ? is "How fast will it go?". Standard answer is..."How fast do you want to go?". This is a great product....Suzuki (are you listening?) Don't screw it up! Just keep improving it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Burgybeauty

I bought mine last Saturday (used '03 with 1400 miles) and tossed and turned most of the night. My God, I could have bought a fairly spiffy motorcycle for that kind of money. What have I done? Bought some kind of strange looking hybrid design thing?

In order to get home from the dealer (Honda dealer took it on trade and knew as much about it as he did about the retrograde motion of the stars) I had to ride 26 miles on a high speed rural highway through (and up) a mountain pass. My buddy was riding a Ducati powered Cagiva Grand Canyon. He likes 85mph. We cruised together at 85mph and up the steep part at 80mph.

We were both impressed.

So the next day I awoke, bleary-eyed from sleepless worry, went down to the coffee shop on Main Street and sat down with my rider buddies for the ritual Sunday morning chitchat. After a few sips, one of them said, jeez, look out the window. There was a crowd around the Burgman. Go out there and tell 'em about it (like what did I know at this point?), he said. Anyway, I did, demonstrated the lift up seat thing and listening to the ahs and ohs as they gaped at the cavernous luggage compartment. Got a bit theatrical and said, look, this is the first motorcycle I've ever seen with a glove compartment (punched the lever, it opened, and voila! gloves, sunglasses, digital camera, Altoids, vehicle papers, etc.). Stunned silence.

I've got over three hundred miles on it and am quite pleased with its power, handling, and good looks. It may turn out to be the best two-wheeled machine in my life, and I've had over twenty-five.

It's finally warmed up. My car's going to rot in the carport.

Pauljo says the dealer told him the Cummings diesel sound is nothing to worry about, and I think that's the most accurate take. As you all know, it disappears the minute you begin moving. If I can ever find a Suzuki dealer in Arizona that will fix it, I'll have it fixed. But in the interval, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That diesel sound is just one more of several distinctive attributes of my burger. 8)

I've had it for one month now. Didn't ride for almost a week of that due to (really) cold weather. My 240+ miler today netted me over 2000 miles total.

What don't I like about the Burgman? Just one thing. It's a bug magnet! I have to wash and wax it every single night! (Not that I mind all that much. :D )

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted,

I've had so many people come over to look at my Burgman 650 when I've stopped somewhere. Most are absolutely fascinated with it. It draws way more attention than my yellow 1000cc V-Strom (and that is a very nice motorcycle). The first time I showed up to ride with the sport bike guys for a Sunday run through the twisties on the scooter, I thought I'd be laughed at. Didn't happen - no negative comments at all. And I had no trouble staying with the group during the ride. So what you are experiencing is very typical I am happy to say.

Regarding the diesel sound at idle. It is Suzuki USA that says it won't hurt anything - not a dealer. I just make that point, because after some of the things dealer personnel have told members of this forum lately, they...
how should I say this... lack credibility. The "fix" is somewhat disappointing too - there is still a lot of clatter at idle. I probably wouldn't bother with it if I had it to do over again. Most motorcycles make some unpleasant sounds at idle. The Kawasaki Concours is prone to cam chain rattle, Ducati's and V-Stroms are prone to clutch hammer, and so forth. Most long time riders just write it off to "character", as I'm sure you know. I am hopeful that my new Remus exhaust will burble just loud enough at idle to mask the mechanical chatter.

Anyway, I'm happy that you are learning what "Super-Scooter Image" is all about. It is not a bad thing after all! 8)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Paul,
Since getting my bike, I have gotten ZERO comments from other riders (except friends). Your last post made me realize why that is so.

YA GOTTA STOP!

:shock: :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Just last night on our major 12 lane highway while I was riding into work I had a tow truck pull up beside me and yell SWEET! at me and then he gave me a big thumbs up :thumbleft: The driver was about 25 yrs old and I couldnt wipe the smile from my face untill I got to work.

I've had this response several times from people in there cars.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Flintbobbi:

For some reason mine is only $104 per year with Progessive and that includes $500 deductible collision. Strangely, they gave me a home-owners' discount even though I don't have my home insured with them.

I love Progessive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts