Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All
I am a total potential newcomer to the world of scooters.
I currently ride a 2005 BMW R1200RT but because of the ever increasing traffic down here in SoCal, the clutch gets VERY tiresome VERY quickly. I do like shifting though.
So the Burgman 650 Executive has caught my eye.
There is a VERY nice 2012 with only 2600 miles available locally but before I can make a relatively educated decision, I am reaching out to your massive experience with all things- scooter.
I fully realize that ALL mechanical things have "issues", some real, most imagined, and I'm sure the Executive is no exception.
If you can believe it, there are even "issues" attributed to my venerable Beemer, but neither I or any other BMW owners I know has ever experienced any of these "issues".

My general question for you is to get an idea of what MAJOR "issues" that I MIGHT be facing with the 2012 Executive.
I have to assume that the 2012, being the latest version, is the best of the lot and many previous "issues" have been solved.
So what's left lurking in the shadows that I need to be aware of if I decide to go ahead with this purchase?
I would very much appreciate your candid comments and suggestions.
Thanks
Bernd

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
If you cannot verify if the previous owner had the initial 600
mile service done, I would say to plan to at least change
the oil & filter. Then, pay attention to the threads on this
website that pertain to the Stopper Bolt Issue.
Not a real problem, if attention is paid to it, but can be
a problem if ignored.
Other than that...ride brother...ride.
And don't fight The GRIN.. :D ...it comes naturally.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
These bikes are mostly trouble free. The two major issues that have come up on a few 650's are failure of bearings and/or stopper bolts in the CVT and failure of rectifiers and/or stators. Suzuki has made some changes in the CVT for 2012 to address those issues. The stator/rectifier issues were attributed to a bad batch from suppliers in 2009 although some say the style of rectifier Suzuki uses in all their bikes is weak.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My friend, who has a 2006 R1200RT, bought a 650 last spring. A group of us get together one or two times each week to take a ride of 150-250 miles. In the beginning, he would occasionally ride the 650 instead of the BMW. By the fall, he would almost always ride the 650 rather than the BMW (and we ride crooked mountain roads). It took him all summer to talk me into riding his 650 instead of my BMW. When I finally rode it, I bought a 400, even though the only thing the 650 and 400 have in common is the name. We both find we have to make ourselves ride the BMWs to keep the battery charged and we would both choose the Burgmans over the BMWs if we had to choose only one.

We found that shifting gears is highly over rated.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My general question for you is to get an idea of what MAJOR "issues" that I MIGHT be facing with the 2012 Executive.
I have to assume that the 2012, being the latest version, is the best of the lot and many previous "issues" have been solved.
So what's left lurking in the shadows that I need to be aware of if I decide to go ahead with this purchase?
I would very much appreciate your candid comments and suggestions.
Thanks
Bernd
close to 60,000 km on two different 650s and my total issues of any kind was a dead battery in the 2005 that was 5 years old and getting to it's service life.

The 650s are wonderful reliable bikes that are just plain fun to ride.

The seating position will be different for you and do use the Power button freely in the twisties ( where you may be delighted as I was ) and for passing. Makes the mild 650 twin much quicker than the horsepower would indicate.

Mind the rather aggressive engine braking at slow speed so roll off the throttle slowly at slower speeds.

You'll miss you suspension on the Beemer but I suspect the rest will more than make up for it. :thumbup:

The only cloud is as mentioned above and that's a lot of miles away before you even should think of it. Do keep an eye on tire pressure - the 650s tend to go through rear tires.

Go ahead - you'll love it. Many here including me have owned lots of bikes and consider the Burgman 650 the best all around machine they've owned.

Here is the review that got me hooked on the category.
I had the Silverwing initially, the move to the 650 Burgman was very positive step up.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04 ... i-burgman/

I've had a couple of 1,000 km days and many 12 hour plus days not going for distance but just enjoying the back roads and scenery.
It does a lot of things very well.
Mind the front brake with the wheel turned at slow speed but that's true of all mcycles.
THe Burgman does not feel as heavy as it is but will torque over right quick if you forget.

Great machine...hope you go for it.

••••

We found that shifting gears is highly over rated.
hehe - I have a few on another forum that don't quite get that.....good tale.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First off I'd make sure the bike is still covered by warranty - and ask for verification and how much is left. I bought my 650 a year ago with an extended warranty that was good till August. I asked for the warranty info and the dealer showed it to me. Next - take a test ride of at least half an hour. If you come back smiling then you should consider buying it. But wait a day or so and see if you can stop thinking about that half hour ride - I could not! Since you aren't shifting as you accelerate its kind of deceptive as to how fast the 650 really is. Its fast enough that I seldom use the 'Power' button. Seems the acceleration picks up from about 40mph until 70 or so when it starts tapering off.

My last ride was a 2001 Harley Electra Glide - sometimes I miss it - most of the time I'm too busy smiling as the miles roll along. I'd love to have electronic cruise control and a decent radio on the Burgman - those are what I miss the most with the Electra Glide. I get a reminder of how much I love the 650 whenever I take the 400 Majesty out. The Majesty is a good bike but there is no comparison. Its small and I can't even get my feet out of the wind - yes - I have big feet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For 2013, the 650 has undergone some possibly significant changes.

So be aware of that before you plunk down some cash on a 2012.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
blackcat54 said:
For 2013, the 650 has undergone some possibly significant changes.

So be aware of that before you plunk down some cash on a 2012.
just found out there will be 400 2013'sburgman 650's in the U.S. those who put down deposits will get them next month , price at over 11 grand

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys! :thumbup:

This is the kind of info I was looking for. It's a VERY difficult decision to make whether to switch from my R1200RT to a Maxi-Scooter.
I guess I'll go check out a few more 650 Executives in the local area and see what floats my boat.
It's a travesty though that the Japanese dealers won't allow test rides. Makes it almost impossible to make a realistic decision.
I can go to my local BMW dealer and get a hour+ test ride on a $30K bike with no issues. Go figure.
Thanks again for the good commentary.

Regards
Bernd

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
at the risk of confusing you even more - Is there a specific reason you wanted a 650 ? I owned a 650 and loved it, if i could have afforded it i would have kept it when i purchased my FJR

The 400 is also a very capabale machine and is a little smaller and lighter, but would do socal traffic i think just as well. Buffalo drives both - the 400 has a more traditional CVT so has a differnet set of "issues", and you definately get one for less than a 650

Just something to think about - if you have decided 650 - ignore me ! :D

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Bernd,

Keeping your BMW as an open-road touring bike, and adding a Burgman 400 as an in-town commuter would give you the best of both worlds. If you have to give up the Beemer, know that the 650 can do it all. However if you do a lot of concrete slab freeway riding at speed, the BMW suspension with out-shine the Burgman.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could hang on to the Beemer but I simply don't have the room to store 2 BIG bikes as well as my '86 KLR250. Sad but true.
Thats why I seem to be gravitating toward the 650, because it will allow me do hiway cruising/touring in a style and comfort approaching the RT.
I know the Scooter's suspension is a far cry from the RT's but I guess you can't have it all.
Regards
Bernd

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
You won't be disappointed with a 650. I do everything from grocery shopping to riding annual 10 day tours throughout California (Sierra passes, Big Sur coast, Napa/Sonoma wine country) - two-up with the wife on back. I've got two vacations coming up - one to Hawaii and another Cal. scooter tour. All I can think about is the scooter trip.

If the price is right, that 2012 sounds sweet. I bought my '07 in late 2009 used with 1200 miles. Aside from oil changes, a rear tire and front brakes, I've never had a problem. (Although rectifier was replaced under factory recall/warrantee). I'm at about 14,000 miles now.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
We have both the 400 and 650 Burg. Both are great rides. Both are quiet, no vibration, comfortable, and the way we ride at 55-65 mph most of the time on country roads: the wifester gets about 20 more mpg on the 400 than I do on the big pig. She's just as comfy on hers as I am on mine. I'd recommend either one for single riding, and the big one for riding double. But then again the 400 can handle that too. It's a win win choice. :cheers: :thumbup: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OP- I'd not be too concerned about a test drive as it will really not give you time to adjust to a quite a different machine.

To a point you are going to have to rely on other riders for feedback.

I took an RT1150 for a test drive and while I did like the balanced seating position and suspension I did not like the wrap around the motor and tank feel and it cured me of my "what ifs".

I recently bought a ST1100 Pan European Honda for Australia and I'm still mixed on it. Buddy here rides the exact 650 Burgman I have at home and he's far more relaxed in traffic and tight uncertain twisties ( the Daintree is a chore in the rain ).
I'd swap the ST in a heart beat for my Burgman 650.
Like your tourer - at 110 on the open highway it's lovely and I'm getting more used to it in the less tight twisties on the Captain Cook Highway and the range roads but it's nowhere near as effortless as the Burgman 650 to ride.

Storage is similar, weight is similar ( Burgman is 45 lb lighter ) and the ST1100 has it's weight down low due to clever design of the fuel tank but the Burgmans is lower.

Acceleration up to 100 KPH ( 60 mph ) is similar if the Burgman has the power button on but of course the ST1100 has far more top end....not a lot of use here where even 10 KPH over the 100 limit can get a ticket ( at home the norm is 20-30 over on the freeways with no hassle ).

The day I got my first 650 after the Honda Silverwing I happened to pull up to my fav coffee spot and there was another there.
Got chatting and he owned 18 bikes( at the same time - not serially ), worked for a bike dealer and had is pick....long time rider about my age.
His choice for 90% of his riding was the Burgman 650. It just does everything well and is easy to ride.

You might want to read through this

http://www.max.grenkowitz.net/res/Journ ... pV1_50.jpg

http://www.max.grenkowitz.net/?topic=900
6th day out - mileage for the day

Trip Data for the Day

1,229 km over the elapsed time of 13 hours 50 minutes.
now that is an impressive run. :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I bit the bullet and bought the Pearl white 2012 650 Executive today and so far I have put about 45 miles on it.
The bike turned 3000 miles on the way home from the dealer.
We haggled a fair bit over the price. They were asking $8495 plus $349 for "servicing fees" which BTW included 2 brand new Bridgestone tires.
Of course tax and license and registration fees were also added for a total of about $9300 OTD.
After a fair amount of back & forth, they finally asked me what they would have to do for me to take it home then & there.
I told them that I thought the sticker price of $8495 OTD with no more add-ons, was good for me.
They ran it by their sales guru and he said OK! Cool. Done deal.
I also purchased an extended 4 year, unlimited miles, bumper to bumper service contract for an additional $499. That same contract from the same company for my Beemer was 1200 bux!!
So, grand total was $8999 including the warranty.
So far I really like it with 2 exceptions. It needs a bigger, better windshield (I'm open to suggestions) and I'll look into softening up the suspension a bit, if possible.
I was absolutely amazed how easily and smoothly it accelerates and by NOT having to shift, I completely lost track of my speed and found myself over 80mph several times. When you manually shift a bike you automatically know what gear you're in so you have an idea of your speed. Not so with this thing. Uncanny, but cool.
Oh BTW....did I mention I bought it with my VISA Air miles card??? That's a nice chunk of mileage points, and the dealer ate the 4% CC fee.
I think I did OK. The bike is literally like brand new.
Thanks for all your comments. They helped me decide!
Regards
Bernd

Almost forgot to ask....there is a soft but distinct "whine" which I assume is the gear train between the CVT and the rear wheel. All those straight cut gears have got to sing, right?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I'm certain it's a decision you'll be happy with.

I got my 2011 new in Oct 2012.

I agree with the screen comments. I added a laminar lip to mine, and it works for me, but does give a "double line" at the screen top. I can live with that, but there is still a bit of flex at speed. There are good replacement screens available, and what suits you will depend on your height, and budget.

Suspension I have had no issues with, but at around 250lbs for me, you may find things different.

Enjoy it. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Bernard sounds like you got a very good deal. The rear shock setting comes stock on #2 setting so you may try to move it to #1. As far as the windscreen goes I'm looking at Clearview for me only because of the vent. Out here in the desert by Palm Springs it should work great. :wink:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Congrats! You chose wisely.

I have a standard 650, so my screen is different from the Exec. While the Laminar Lip offered a tremendous improvement on my 400 screen, I felt there was only a marginal improvement on the 600. But there are a lot of variablew - height of the rider, and where you choose to mount the Lip. I've since upgraded to a Clearview that I'm very happy with. (I'm also happy with the Givi on my 400). Not really a bad choice here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I appreciate all the comments
It's always scary to make such a big leap into the relative unknown. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts