Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..I am new to this forum. I currently own 2012 Majesty 400 which I really enjoy. I have, of late, been looking at the 2013 Burgman 650 and very intrigued and interested. I am strongly considering trading in my Majesty for the new Burgman when it becomes available in the U.S. (anyone know when that will be?) So I would like some advise on this possible trade in. Anyone owned a Majesty and trade to a Burgman 650? Pros and Cons please? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Thanks, in advance for the advise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
585 Posts
I bought a Majesty very early last year and put a couple hundred miles on it. I still have it although a nephew is interested in buying it. Once I took an ill-advised 'test' ride on a nearly new (3900 miles) 2008 Exec I knew the Majesty was toast. Nothing wrong with the Majesty other than a slow takeoff which I understand can be alleviated by installing aftermarket clutch weights. And that I felt rather cramped - it is smaller than the Burgman by a bit. Footboard is narrower - I got big feet! Poor wind protection also on the Majesty. I installed a Cleaview shield with vent on the 650. I like the way it works.

IMO it isn't even fair to compare the two. The 650 has much more power - the windshield is adjustable (exec model only) and the motor is very smooth. Not that the Majesty isn't smooth but the 650 twin is so much smoother.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I'll put on my "wet blanket" mode only because it is so much easier to just say "go for it!"

So a couple thoughts come to mind...
  • 1. I'd like to be the salesman you come to see. :) The 2012 Majesty is about the same as all the previous years back to 2007 or so. The colors changed, but that's about all. So you paid around $6750, plus tax and license and whatever other add-on costs they may or may not have added on. You've kept it for less than a year...but the Kelley Blue Book Trade-In value is now $3745. That's a 3000 dollar hit for riding it off the parking lot. :cry:
    2. The 2012 Burgman 650 is $9899...plus tax, license and whatever other add-on costs they may tack on. And as a new model, I doubt they'll be trying to lower the price below MSRP. BTW, that price is for the 2012, and the 2013 is still TBA. It won't be less.
    3. So just a rough estimation is that you'll pay about $6500 to get the advantages of the 650. If that's pocket change for you, go for it. :)
One advantage as the others have written, is the 650 has more power. But how much is enough? If you're carrying a passenger...or if you by yourself are the equivalent of riding two up...the 650's power will come in handy. If on the other hand, you aren't on the heavy side and ride by yourself, your Majesty does pretty good. I'm sure you've noticed how you can leave everyone else behind at stop lights...without trying to race. And as I've thought before when carrying one of my daughters, I wouldn't want my bike to accelerate much faster, just because I wouldn't want to dump them off the back end.

Once you're up to the speed limit, what do you do with the extra power? My friend's FZ-1 will do the speed limit in any place in the state...in first gear. My point is when you're weighing the differences between the two bikes and you say to yourself as part of the justification to buy this new bike that it has more power...will you ever really use it? And if you decide you will...is it worth $6500 to you?

Some other things that come to mind.
  • 4. Weight. The 650's weight disappears once it is moving, but if you have to push it around in your garage or a parking lot, you'll find it is all there.
    5. Tires. The Majesty's tires cost half what the 650's tires cost and will probably last you twice as long. Not a big deal if you don't ride much, but it will be if you're a commuter who puts on high miles.
    6. Buy used, or a 2011-2012 model. The differences for the most part are cosmetic and I have to admit I like the looks of the new 650 much more than the old one, but you'll find deals on the older models where the dealer wants to push them out the door at cost. You'd save a few bucks that way.
Chris

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Never having owned a Majesty, but having a Burgman 400, and a 650, I'll weigh in here too.

What Chris said about the extra weight of the 650 is true, however even on the road it doesn't totally disappear, and I notice a difference between the two, with the 400 being more "flickable", but less stable.
But having said that, the 650 is still easier to handle at low speed, and pushing around, than the C50 it replaced, which was of a similar overall weight.

I purchased my 2011 650 Exec new in October of 2012, listed at $7,999. Keeping the bike at advertised price (which was $1800 below list) I was able to negotiate on the trade value, and got $600 less in trade for the 09 C50 than I paid for it a year earlier, so for the bike, and a five year extended warranty, out the door it cost me $5,100.
For me it was money well spent. For you, only you can judge if a deal is good for you or not.

As far as performance, I agree with what you said in your original post. The only compliant I had about the 400 is that it wasn't just quick enough off the mark, and that's why I wanted the big one.
Having both now, I appreciate the performance of the big one, and the handling of the little one. So I've got the best of both worlds and am a happy bear. I'm sure it'd be the same if I had the big Burg, and a Majesty.
If I had to choose, I'd probably rate the little one more fun to ride, the big one more satisfying, and equally rewarding.....but if I could only keep one, it would be the 400.

As for how much is enough power, that's up to the individual.......I wanted more ommph from the 400....... Yesterday, for the first time I wanted more oomph from the 650......When I had my 1300 RSV (which was way quicker than both, or the C50) I wanted more from that,.........I guess some of us just want more!
I had the power, I used it, even if only very occasionally. I liked it, but did I need it all the time? No.....
.....another way to look at it is how hard do you want to work your engine? Yeah, the 400 can handle highway commuting, at around 78% of flat-out, but he 650 does it at around 64% of flat-out......so how much do you want in reserve? and how hard to push what you've got most of the time?
Different strokes for different folks, each has their merits, and their drawbacks.

When I ride with my wife, I ride with a slower right wrist. Not just because I don't want to dump her off the back, but because I don't want to alarm or upset her at all. Just as with the RSV before.
I have the extra power, but the funny thing is, I can control it! I don't have to be wide-open all the time (and will admit I do that a lot more on the 400 than the 650). So I don't see "too much power" as an argument against the bigger bike, unless you lack control skills.

There are savings to be made in buying a relatively new used, or leftover new, bike. But if it's the styling of the 2013 you want, get what you want.
Negotiate the best deal you can, and don't be bothered about walking away if you can't get the deal you want.

I'm very happy with my decision to get a 650, and hope you will be too, if that's what you decide.

Jim

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I think Jim nailed it pretty well. But I guess I’ll chime in with my 400 vs. 650 comparisons as I own both models too.

Riding the 400 is like being at-one with the bike – think ‘right’ it goes right, think ‘left’ it goes left (this is the flickability factor). Riding the 650 is like having a beautiful partnership – there is a bit more communication between me and the bike. I say ‘go right,’ the bike says ‘OK.’ I say ‘nice turn’ it says ‘back at ya.’ Both are equally fun, but in different ways.

Yes the 650 is much more powerful, and it’s a much more responsive, smoother power. It gives you more riding options. Where I might hang back on the 400 if I spy a potential problem with the car ahead, I have the additional option to accelerate away from the problem on the 650. The 650’s engine is mounted on the frame, not on the swingarm like the 400; this increases the sense of stability (if not its actual stability). It’s much heavier weight gives it the ride-ability advantage on Interstates and windy conditions. On long rides this translates into less rider fatigue. Its’ weight is a notable disadvantage in pushing the bike around in the garage or backing up out of a parking space. I’m comfortable and confident on both bikes, but I’m always consciously aware of the weight of the 650 – it’s less forgiving if you lose concentration.

Here’s how I use my bikes:

• Solo – going on local errands: the market, the gym, the hardware store: 400
• (Pre-retirement) commuting to work in downtown LA, 18 miles, mix freeway/streets: 400
• 2-Up – going on local errands: to dinner, to the movies – 400
• Solo or 2-Up: driving 20 miles on the 405 Freeway to visit my mother: toss-up, depends on my mood
• 2-Up: Sunday brunch in Malibu via the Malibu Cyn./Mulholland Hwy twisties(80 miles roundtrip): 650
• Day trip to Santa Barbara via Pacific Coast Hwy (200 miles roundtrip): 650
• My annual summer “Scootercade” thru California (2000 miles, most on State highways or county roads) includes Sierra passes, coastal Hwy 1, wine country, redwoods, deserts, etc: 650

I ride my 400 almost every day, and put on about 4000 miles per year.
I ride the 650 maybe twice a month and put on about 3500 mi/yr.
I hope I never have to choose one over the other. But if I did, it would be the one I would want to ride every day.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes very good comparison and good to hear from someone with both- if I were urban and not doing a lot of mileage the 400 is a bit more nimble as was my Silverwing.
But for the long days and hard twisties it's the 650. Remarkable machine.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
blackcat54 said:
Hey Jeff,

Your 400/650 comparison is the most insightful and useful I have come across to date!

Dennis
+1

·
Registered
158 Posts
Having owned both 400 and 650 Burgmans, I can say the 400 is a great scooter with all the attributes and advantages of a scooter. The 650 may look like a scooter, but rides and handles like a motorcycle. I enjoyed the '06 650 in Florida so much that I bought another '11 650 for use in Ky.. Scooters are great, but I missed motorcycles until I bought the 650 and that resolved the problem. So, guess I'm saying if you want a scooter, keep the Majesty. Just my two cents...

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I agree with the postings about the 400 and 650 Burgmans. I have owned both and like the 15% increase in mileage and lightness of the 400. Over the last year, I bought a Honda Silverwing. I like the smoothness and power of the twin. The Burgman 400 and Silverwing have similar wheelbases and uses the same tires. I ride both equally. The Silverwing gets less mileage than the Burgman 650 and 400. I ride a combination of freeway and urban driving. The Silverwing is like a scooter, while the Burgman 650 feels and cost to maintain more like a motorcycle. A motorcycle costs about double to maintain as opposed to a scooter. I've been on a scooter for 8 years now, I never look back. My Burgman 400 has been with me in San Antonio, Portland, Albuquerque, and now Honolulu.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I too am considering the 650 Bergman but my Majesty is a 2005 & has over 70,000 miles on it.
I would never describe a Majesty as being "smooth". When you are sitting at a stop light you can feel the thumping of the engine. I do look forward to the idea of the smoother twin cylinder engine & I note that the seats of both of the Bergmans are lower than the Majesty.
They also have the novel idea of rear view mirrors that allow you to see behind you instead of a view of your shoulders.
I also have a hard time reading the instrument panel under many light conditions. I love the panel at night but in the daylight it is often unreadable. When I bought my Majesty it was clearly superior to the 2005 400 Bergman but that was no longer true after the Bergman was updated.
I doubt I could get much of anything for mine in trade & will probably keep it as a second bike. The insurance is only $75/yr plus the license plate. The problem I had doing that before was that every time I needed my 750 Virago the battery was dead so I finally sold it with only 90,000 miles & 17 years on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 Burgman 650 Exec...and I LOVE it so much I am willing to sell/trade it for the 2013! The best there is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy in reading this it gives one some things to think about, I own a 2008 Majesty and have about 5300 miles on her and I am looking at buying the 650 Exec in 2014. I wanted one because it has a lot of cool extra's the engine displacement the accessories available to them etc. but now I am looking out a different window, I am taking mine on a trip to Eureaka Springs, AR this fall at the Ozarks scooter rally and I have never rode my scoot for that long of a trip, I have done some 300+ and 500+ rides on her and she handles it well. But one big question is do I really need all that power? Great thread and excellent comments.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Better to have the power and not use it than need the power and not have it. And there will be a time when you will need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree whith chris. I am going to sell my 2009 Burgman 650 exe.
Ive owned it for 4 years now and I traded it in for an T-max.
Sorry guys but I think I am not a B650 lover. Why? Well I think its to bulky for me as a commuter.
Its fuel consumption is high (1:17km) and its hard to push around in the garage.
It reacts strong on gas changes at low speed and the cctv makes a strange high sound.
There are also things I dont use, like the manual gear,( D is the best choise) and electric screen.
The best position for me is screen down. Like I said, its not the bike for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts