Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a chance we made get a second Burgie this year, seeing as how the Suzuki $99 per month deal is going through September (U.S.). For that price, I'm seriously considering upgrading by making the second bike a 650. Sushi is a much-loved 400 but I would like to do more group rides and sense the 650 could keep up better.

Questions:
1. Am I too short at 5'1" to handle this size bike? With the 400, I can flat-foot on one side and comfortably feel OK with the other foot's contact. I know it weighs 100 lb. --Yes, it qualifies as Lardy-Assed, NormanB! :wink: --more than the 400, but know how to pick up a bike and adapted quickly to the 400. (Lift weights regularly when my arthritis isn't acting up.)
2. Does anyone routinely do group rides on a 400 and feel the 400 serves this purpose well?
3. Are there other reasons you'd suggest we simply get a second 400?

Thanks in advance,
Bryna

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Bryna

At those prices and at that deal I would buy a La...... - you know :wink: - in a heartbeat.

As to handling one ( in terms of feet down) at your height - you really need to test ride and maybe factor in a customised seat (see Betty's post on this - hers looks 8) ) to reduce seat height further.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The 400 should be able to handle any group ride you go on. If the performance of the 400 is an issue on a group ride, the ride leader and second are not doing their job. If it is a matter of wanting a 650, you really need to go to a dealer and test ride one. See how comfortable you feel handling it. Remember there are options to help you with the seat height (cut down the seat, taller boot soles, etc).

I think either bike would be a great purchase. Just choose the one you prefer. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NormanB and Bill! Yeah, Norman I agree re: the price.

Bill, the 400 has done fine on the couple of rides I've been on. I think I'm just interested in a bit more power at the top end. (Gawd, I sound like Lynn's bro who added 100cc to his H-D Fatboy so he could go 120 no problem... :shock: Not my thing, just a little more umph for highways to feel a bit more secure.)

The boot-raiser might be the cheaper of the options to start off with. Though lowering the seat and installing a memory foam pad or something while we're at it might not be a bad idea. :idea:

And I guess I can deal with the bike's "L-A": a friend calls me a "big broad biker dyke" and I like that just fine. 8)

Bryna

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Invincsum said:
(Gawd, I sound like Lynn's bro who added 100cc to his H-D Fatboy so he could go 120 no problem...
A Harley at 120 mph...no problem? Yeah, right!
Bryna, sit on a 650 and if you can "flatfoot it", you should have no problem handling the bike. Remember to adjust the butt-rest forward and back to see if that makes a difference.
If you and Lynn get a 650, her bro WILL have a problem then :lol:
Don

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Don,

Thanks for the advice! Funny thing with Greg (Lynn's bro): he was so happy for us getting the first scooter...but I think he thought it was a small Vespa or something.

When Lynn pulled into their driveway one day on Sushi, Greg was shocked. :shock: And very impressed with the Burgie! Ha! :D

Bryna

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I tried the 650 today. Bottom line, I am too "vertically challenged" for the bike as it is. (Or it is too tall for me, depending on one's perspective. :wink: ) When I tried to turn it into a spot, I could barely grap enough ground with the balls of my feet (despite excellent boots) to do so. I didn't take it out of the parking lot but learned a valuable lesson.

So...I think we'll be getting a second 400. I'm bumped though. I don't suppose there's any decent way to lower the 650 as one can with a regular bike? (I know I can try shaving down the seat/getting thicker boot soles but this alone might not be enough.) Guess my next bike up will be a Ridley! (I'm spoiled by the auto tranny! :D ) At least I'll be able to flat-foot that.

Will place an order for a 400 tomorrow when I see the local dealer before a shore-run ride.

Bryna

1 - 7 of 7 Posts