Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've had my eye on a Burgie 650 for awhile, but since I would probably only be using it for local commuting & leasure, some Suzuki salesmen have suggested that I might be better off with the 400.

I have some questions about the 400 and would appreciate feedback from current 400 owners.

In general, what would you consider to be the pros & cons of the 400?

Does the 400 have good handling?

Does the 400 do well on the freeway? can it keep up with traffic?
does it have enough power to perform passing safely & easily?

Is the 400 a mechanically sound bike? Anyone had any serious or on - going problems with the 400?

Is the 400 easy to maintain? Is it expensive to have shop-serviced?

How well (or not) does the 400 handle things like loose gravel, railroad tracks, and steep grades?

Can Gusty Winds be a problem for the 400?

What is the average gas milage of the 400?

Is the 400 big enough to trip traffic light sensors?

What would you consider to be a good OTD price for an '04 400?

Do you still have to perform Winter Storage procedures on a 400
like you would on a motorcycle?

Thanks for reading this, hope to get as much feedback as possible. Bye!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Will this be graded on a curve?

1.) It's all good.
2.) Yes.
3.) Yes, yes, yes.
4.) Yes, no.
5.) Yes, depends.
6.) As good as can be expected.
7.) Not really. Does way better than my old Reflex.
8.) Around 65.
9.) Yes, unlike the Reflex.
10.) Around MSRP for OTD, but depends on your area.
11.) What is "winter storage procedures".

Dang, I felt pretty good until that last question.

Peace.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Good summary Bleeder,

Gregory, if you go to the search button at the top of the forum, you will get more information R.E. ea subject (almost info overload).

·
Registered
466 Posts
In general, what would you consider to be the pros & cons of the 400? It's not a 650 then the 650 is no 400. Less weight.
Does the 400 have good handling? Yes, I've embarrassed some sport bike guys.
Does the 400 do well on the freeway? can it keep up with traffic? does it have enough power to perform passing safely & easily? It will go quicker than traffic, 70-75 is a breeze.
Is the 400 a mechanically sound bike? Anyone had any serious or on - going problems with the 400? Yes. No.
Is the 400 easy to maintain? Is it expensive to have shop-serviced? Yes. I do it myself.
How well (or not) does the 400 handle things like loose gravel, railroad tracks, and steep grades? Don't know, as good as any bike, steep mountain passes two up it gets a little wheezy. About like a small car.
Can Gusty Winds be a problem for the 400? No problem.
What is the average gas mileage of the 400? A lot! I went 145 miles on the last tank full.
Is the 400 big enough to trip traffic light sensors? No problem.
What would you consider to be a good OTD price for an '04 400? ???????
Do you still have to perform Winter Storage procedures on a 400
like you would on a motorcycle? What's winter storage?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lots of questions and I can say from my point of view all is positive from my experiences after 5,000kms with mine. It averages 68 mpg (imperial gallons) in the city and handles wonderfully. I take it on the odd highway scoot and I am planning a camping trip with it in August. Thats how confident I am that it will handle carrying all my camping gear and cruising down the secondary roads of Western Washington. Problems?? None so far. Would I buy it again. You bet I would!! The 650 would be good for cross country but I have other bikes for that kind of trip.

The draw backs of the 650... more complicated (bucket under shims), worst fuel economy, higher insurance and heavier vehicle. If you have the chance to road test either one I know you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reply to all the same questions I had also.

I just went from a 750 Shadow. I bought the 400 Burger 9 days ago. As good looking as my Shadow I will not miss it. The burger handles better as it is lighter. Just got to the 500 mile break in last ride about a 1/2 hour ago. It was the first time I opened it up a little. The cars in front of me were doing 70-75 and I was right on their rear and wondering why they were not going faster. Oh by the way my wife was on the back. I cannot believe the useable power the bike has. There is no lag time for shifting. I was worried that I should have bought the 650 but I am glad now I went with the 400. The 400 insurance was 120 cheaper than my Shadow per year. It is lighter more agile than a 650 or shadow. One of the main reasons I chose the 400 over the 650 is less to go wrong. No digital dash, simpler transmission, less brakes to maintain, 125 pounds lighter than the 650. For in town riding which is 80% of what I do it is awesome. Maint is simple with regular oil changes and tranny oil. Have not had it on gravel yet but I am sure is does fine. Just checked my last tank and I went 175 miles on 2.65 gallons which calculates to 66 mph. Storage is awesome which I did not have on my shadow. I also love the backrest for the driver. I don't wear out the back as soon. The 400 comes with passenger back rest so no additional money there. The shifting option the the 650 is overkill. Why would anyone shift when you don't have to. I would gamble that the 400 Burger has about as much usable power as the Shadow 750. Good luck on you decision and which ever you buy you will love it. Mark M.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forgot to state price.

Paid 4600.00 OTD Bike had one mile on it. Had to fight a little to get that price but flashed cash at the dealer. Find an 03 leftover and make a deal. Be sure and tell the dealer that the 05's are coming soon so an 03 is two model years old. Good luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Mark, I ride the 400 too and have a '02 750ACE Deluxe in the garage that I never ride anymore as a result.

$4,600 OTD!!!!!! "Flashed cash at the dealer" my ass, you must've flashed a GUN.

Peace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, Very helpful!

And just to clear up confusion about my "winter storage" question,
perhaps what I should have said is if you are not going to be
riding your Burgie during the winter or for any extended period
of time, should you, as you would with a motorcycle, do things
like put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, remove the battery, reduce
tire preasure, change the oil & fluids, etc, etc ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
We know what winter storage is, we were just cracking wise because we ride'em through winter, not store'em. I see you're in the Bay Area so you should not have to perform any of the storeage procedures you mentioned because you can ride it, if even just once a month if you choose, in the winter.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Gregory,

We DO unfortunately have Winter here in Omaha. :cry:

Here is what I do.

- Change engine oil before first snowstorm.
- Wash scooter
- Leave battery IN scooter, but plug in a Battery Tender Jr to keep it charged.
- Fill gas tank, and put in gasoline Stabilizer.
- Change oil again after a few Spring rides.

December through January last Winter I got to take it out for 3 rides. I've always stored my machines this way. The manuals usually advise removing the spark plugs and squirting oil in the cylinders. I don't do that. I keep mine basically ready to ride, and in an average Winter I'll get out maybe once a month. Cold isn't a problem because I have electrically heated gear. I do avoid riding when there is a lot of salt on the roads to avoid corrosion.

Works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts