Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned of a 2005 Burgman 650 for sale with about 5k miles. Asking 3500. I currently ride a 98 Suzuki Marauder, and had a 2006 Yamaha Majesty - scooter was totaled last summer.
I'm looking for advice on things to check, and if there are any issues with the 2005 to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For what it's worth: I bought my 2005 Burgman Executive, with 4200 miles on the clock, in 2010. It has now done 10,736 miles with no problems whatsoever. A lovely bike all round.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a 05' Burgman 650.

I have 18k miles on it, bought it with 9k miles

The 05' and up are Great bikes.

If maintenance was done, and properly, you should have No problems at all for a long time to come.

Make sure the "BOLT" is replaced, or just buy the "BOLT" and DIY, cheap insurance less than $10.00, easy to replace.

Check tires & tire mfr dates, if not new negotiate a min. $300 lower price.

I had came from a GL1800 Goldwing to my burgman 650.

It is my new long distance commutator, and can do things my Big Goldwing could Not.

If you are not afraid of a wrench, the B650 can be transformed into a much different bike, into a great handling much improved suspension-ed bike, that will have a Much improved comfortable ride, that will amaze and surprise you, every time out for a ride.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd have to say that the K4 is a great bike also. A couple hundred bucks spent on the Polish adapter was all it needed (all the other mods I made were just "nice to haves" in my opinion, but I think the Polish is "required").

After making a 2,200-mile trip down the west coast to central CA and back last month, all I can say is that I'm really thankful to have a reliable Japanese bike, because my cell phone carrier has such lousy coverage in remote areas that there was no way I could have called for AMA towing service for most of those 2,200 miles!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'd have to say that the K4 is a great bike also. A couple hundred bucks spent on the Polish adapter was all it needed (all the other mods I made were just "nice to haves" in my opinion, but I think the Polish is "required").
Shhh, now we will have to pay more for used '03-'04's. :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would be a little concerned about the fluids, after all they are 9 years old now. And since the bike has low milage they probably were never changed. If the current owner has changed them, I would have no issues. If not, maybe you can express some concern about the cost of bringing it up to standards. After all, they are delicate little motors....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would be a little concerned about the fluids, after all they are 9 years old now. And since the bike has low milage they probably were never changed. If the current owner has changed them, I would have no issues. If not, maybe you can express some concern about the cost of bringing it up to standards. After all, they are delicate little motors....
I bought a 2003 Silverwing last summer from a repo man who bought it from the bank right after he did the repo for them . The bike had 1200 miles on it and it had been down in a slide , just about every piece of plastic was scraped or mangled . The bike sat in his garage for years then he sold it to me . He put a new battery in it and it started right up without a glitch . I took it for a test ride to make sure there was no frame damage , then bought it on the spot for $1,500 . I brought it home and changed all the fluids , so far no problems and it runs like a new one . I've bought scooters and bikes that have sat for 20 years and never had a problem other than some fuel issues with a gas tank or a carb cleaning .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I got my 2005 in September with 3500 on the clock. As of yesterday, I'm up to 10k, and I only use it on weekends (I commute on my 400). Just did a ride through Death Valley last weekend (700 miles). I wouldn't hesitate to go cross country on this bike.

Just change all fluids, coolant especially and stopper bolt. And have a great time. It's a wonderful bike!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just did a ride through Death Valley last weekend (700 miles). I wouldn't hesitate to go cross country on this bike.
There's a lot to see in DV, some great stuff off dirt roads and hiking. I love that place.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I've got one friend that is coming up on 60,000 miles on his 05 and another that was over 70,000 on his before he traded it on a newer model. No mechanical issues on either so the 05 models in my opinion are about as reliable as any other year model.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There's a lot to see in DV, some great stuff off dirt roads and hiking. I love that place.
Ya, it was beautiful in spring time. Wouldn't want to ride through it any later though. It was 95 degrees, in early April! I don't even want to think what August would be like. :cool:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ya, it was beautiful in spring time. Wouldn't want to ride through it any later though. It was 95 degrees, in early April! I don't even want to think what August would be like. :cool:
The wildflowers look like they are nice currently in certain areas. http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html During the summer it doesn't drop below 100* even at night, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input.
Fluids, tires, run some SeaFoam thru it - pretty much same as my Marauder a few years back. I'll need to look into the CVT bolt thing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks for all the input.
Fluids, tires, run some SeaFoam thru it - pretty much same as my Marauder a few years back. I'll need to look into the CVT bolt thing.
Cvt bolt not a big deal. Just had mine done. Dealer charged $10 installed.

Also, my dealer did a recall repair on the 2005, a fuel pump retainer ring replacement, free of charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts