Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know this topic is not new but I have hunted around and only recieved partial answers on the very basic question "What connector should I put on my scoot for heated clothing?"

A very valuable resource in educating oneself on this question is the Powerlet site and in particular this page:

(http://www.powerlet.com/powerOutletInfo

I learned a lot about the choices availabe to me but am still unsure of the answer to my question above. It *appears* that the following is true:

1) Many motorcycles use the Powerlet socket, and

2) Many heated clothing vendors make use of the Coax or barrel style connector.

I am at a loss to explain this apparent discrepancy. I hope someone can clear the air here. I've spent a few hours looking at websites for heated gear, connectors, and the forums and still seem to be missing something.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I really like the Powerlet socket, but the only bikes I know that use it are BMWs. I had a BMW vest which came with it, so I installed one on my Concours. Nice positive connection and it simply isn't going to work loose. But now I need a new one and I'm going to see how it comes equipped before making the power plug decision. I can install anything but I need to buy the gear first.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
These are some i know people use and they have the connectors here too http://www.compacc.com/apparel-heated-motorcycle-clothingI think the Powerlet and similar (barrel) are generally used because they will pull clear if you come off or get off and forget to unplug - vs something more connected could be in itself dangerous. You will need to make sure you have a good power connection - just connecting to an existing circuit , will probably overload it , so you either can install a Power distribution box ( like the PC8 from eastern Beaver) or just directly connect to the Battery - with the cable coming out under the seat

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most all heated clothing comes with a barrel type connector which in the case of the Burgman you would hook up to the battery

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are some i know people use and they have the connectors here too http://www.compacc.com/apparel-heated-motorcycle-clothingI think the Powerlet and similar (barrel) are generally used because they will pull clear if you come off or get off and forget to unplug - vs something more connected could be in itself dangerous. You will need to make sure you have a good power connection - just connecting to an existing circuit , will probably overload it , so you either can install a Power distribution box ( like the PC8 from eastern Beaver) or just directly connect to the Battery - with the cable coming out under the seat
I just got the PC8 from eastern Beaver. A very slick little package. I got it after I installed some Oxford grips on my B400 and realized that a switched circuit was desirable. This is what got me started thinking about a connector for heated cloths as I figured I might as well get it all put together at one time.

I'm thinking I'll mount the PC8 against the battery cover plate as most wiring projects seem to go forward (grips. lights, V-meter, GPS) and that location gives me good access. Besides that side of the storage space is too shallow for much else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used a heavy duty sae 2 pin connector (fused) and connected it directly to battery. I spliced the other end into the electrical switch at jacket. I bought an extra connector and wired it into my float charger. When bike is in storage I just plug the float charger to the connection that I use for my heated suit. The connector hangs out about 1.5 inches under front of seat when not in use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have vest and gloves from XO2 for both of use. The fused fittings are connected directly to the battery terminals, and I hand the plugs out under the seat. That makes connecting and disconnecting relatively easy. The units also come with heat controllers, and I would recommend these. see http://www.exo2.co.uk/motorcyclists-motorcyclists-c-17_5.html?page=1&sort=20a

The Burgman runs these without problem as the current draw is not too high. The Fabroc material does not suffer from damage that "wired" heating systems suffer from.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Powerlet Rapidfire gear

Last year I wanted to buy some Gerbing heated gear but they were not at the Novi show. So I got the Powerlet gear. I got some 'show discount' but all online retailer have now about the same price I paid.

I got the glove liner, jacket liner and their wireless dual controller. The jacket liner has a full and half setting. Since I am unsure about using the full setting on my KLR650 I have the jacket liner set at half power.

Then, you can use the controller to get any heat setting you want. I have ridden in the low 20's and even the half power setting on the jacket liner is plenty as I set it about 6 O'Clock position on the dual controller. I think I could get burns on the hand at full heat setting. But midway on the controller is perfect. i can take pics if there is interest. But its really simple.

The connection to the battery is very simple and there is ample wire length. On the Burgman 650 there is plenty of room between the seat for the cable to come out. The seat does not pinch the cable. Its not very elegant looking but I can totally tuck it in so its not visible when not in use.

I just take the wireless controller with me bike to bike in the glove compartment or use velcro. The cable to each bike's battery is about $15 dollars so this saves from having to disconnect from one bike and hook up to another. There is also an adaptor available that allows you to use the connector with a battery tender. That adaptor is cheap.

Thanks
Simba

·
Registered
119 Posts
I recently purchased a Gerbing jacket liner with a dual controller and the pouch that clips to your belt. I put the controller in the pouch and clip it to my pocket and plug it into the power cord that I attached to the battery as directed. No motor heat to destroy wires on these Burgmans so I let the wires hang and touch the tunnel. When I get off I know I'm still plugged in that way. I just unplug myself and stuff the power cord under the seat. Temp adjustments are easily made while riding even with my winter gloves on. Nothing fancy required.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I use Gerbings gear and have routed the power cable from the battery into the seat hump (through the holes for the seat hump sliders). The socket is hidden between the hump and the seat so it virtually invisible when not in use, but it can be easily accessed when it comes time to plug in the pouch mounted controller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts