Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

My first post (question actually) here in this really informative forum.

Just got myself a used Burgman 400 a week back, everything's fine so far, though I'm a bit confused over which model it is.....

The registration card says it's a K3, manufactured in Nov'03 but the Engine's serial number starts with K4 (which I was told meant it's a K4) :?

Any advice would be appreciated on this "identity crisis"! :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. I have two thoughts on this.

1. Since the scooter was built late in the '03 run, they might have already been producing the '04 engines.

2. The engine might have been replaced.

I think #1 is more likely.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the "cubby" doors on either side of the handlebars swing to the outside after being opened, it's a K4. If they are "rigid" and don't swing to the outside, then it's an 03.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and welcome guys!

bechtoea: Do you mean if the "cubby doors" pops up (they don't swing to the outside...) after pressing the release button, it's a K4?

·
Registered
806 Posts
william-liu said:
Thanks for the help and welcome guys!

bechtoea: Do you mean if the "cubby doors" pops up (they don't swing to the outside...) after pressing the release button, it's a K4?
Ok, if you push the button on the storage areas left and right of the handlebars, the doors pop up.

However, on a K4, once popped up, they swing to the outside for easier access to the storage area. They look like wings when you do this.

There is another change you can look for. On the K3, the "FONT" of the text on the gauges is a normal font. ON the K4 and newer, it's more of a "BOLD ITALIC" font.

So, doors that swing out 90 degrees and the gauge font were the changes between a K3 and K4.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it, thanks for the help!

****, think I've got a K3 then...... no "cubby wings"!

*sigh*

·
Registered
806 Posts
What's the digits on the speedo look like. Normal or bold italic?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look like the normal fonts to me....

Funny thing about the engine serial number though.... Does anybody's K3's engine serial starts with K4XXXXXXX?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts