Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a number of posts from folks saying that the B400 is too small for a big person and therefore a B650 is the way to go...

B400; OVLength=89" B650=89"
B400; OVWidth =29.9 B650=31.9 (probably the mirrors)
B400; OVHeight=54.1 B650=56.5 (ground clearance, tires, & shield?)

So what's confusing me is why is the 400 too small physically for some people but the 650 fits ok???

Bill...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
There is physically more leg room on the 650 due to the engine configuration.

The 650 seems to be favoured by taller riders as it offers more leg room. The 400 is favoured more by the shorter riders as the saddle height is lower and offers better footing to those with shorter inseams.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
What allwalk said is true but I also suspect a lot has to do with the
"I WANT" a 650 sooooooo the 400 must be to small. :)
Sitting on both it is really hard (for me anyway) to call .
factor in the extra weight of the 650 and you tend to forget how close they are.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have a 34.5" inseam (fairly long legs). I sat on the Silverwing, a Burgman 400, and a Burgman 650 in the showroom when I was shopping. On both the Silverwing and the Burgman 400, if I turned the handlbars full left or right, they contacted my legs. Not a good thing. The Burgman 650 did not have that problem.

Now it is possible, even probable, that a modification could have alleviated that problem. Perhaps as simple as adjusting the bars upward a bit, or perhaps fitting different handlebars or a GenMar riser kit. But of course when shopping for a new scooter, buying something that would require immediate modification just so that I could ride it safely wasn't very appealing. And truthfully the bigger engine, more advanced transmission, radial tires, and triple disk brakes of the AN650 promised a higher performance level, and that was very appealing to me.

In 2003 when I bought mine there was no used market for these scooters. And no aftermarket accessories were out there yet (Corbin seat, etc). The big scooters had just arrived on the scene. But now there is a used market, and there is a fair selection of accessories. And if I were shopping for a used scooter and found a great deal on a AN400 or a Silverwing now, I might consider it. I am 95% certain that I could tweak either of them to fit me. I'd still probably prefer the performance of the 650 over the economy of a smaller scooter, but I wouldn't eliminate them based on ergonomics.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The raw dimensions of the 2 machines does not go half way to describing real world ergonomics.

I have a 34 inch inseam and 'fit' on a 400 (just) and if I was doing extended tours on it I would deffo need some modifications to create a couple of inches more legroom. Interestingly the handlebars do not foul my legs during a turn.

Now the same legs ( :wink: ) in a 650 and I have significantly more room and I am very comfortable - but could still do with more room - a couple of inches and it would be perfect.

I often champion the 400 as the better machine for most people with the caveat 'if it fits' - and I do honestly believe that.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hey - its a scooter. I gotta butt cramp on my corbin after 19 miles yesterday. Cool thing is is that i was able to move around and mitigate the left cheek issue. who says you cant stand on the floorboards!?

What is neat tho is when i slide by an 1800cc cruiser at 60 with my bad self all splayed out (as they are) and i know they are sayin' - "what - ?"

i think that the available floorboard space is pretty generous. Even tho I had gone only ~20 miles - i knew i was ready to go another 110 without getting that uncomfortable. but then again - i aint the "boss" when it comes to "physical-fitness."

It was a beautiful day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For me, the problem with the 650 was the "width" of the seat, making it impossible for me to stay fully seated and plant my feet flat on the ground at the same time. If the 650 seat my legs had to straddle was closer in size to that of the 400, then the extra bit of "height" might not have been considered an issue with me.

Another thing that may be coming into play regarding the 650's sense of being "larger" is the fact that it does have a noticably "bulkier" configuration, causing the 400 to appear to be more "streamlined" by comparison.

''Tropical Storm Adrian''

:spam1:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Tropical Storm said:
snipped
Another thing that may be coming into play regarding the 650's sense of being "larger" is the fact that it does have a noticably "bulkier" configuration, causing the 400 to appear to be more "streamlined" by comparison.
''Tropical Storm Adrian''
:spam1:
Hence the terms 'Lardy' and 'Svelte' :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
When the cop is on the left side of ya on a multi-lane interstate highway and he's checking your speed doing an actual 75-76mph and shaking his head in disbelief that it's a scooter, it won't matter if it's a 400 or 650, it's still a scooter!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts