Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my Burgman in the shop. I had another thread describing my problem, which I will update when I get the EXACT information of what happened.

Anyway, since he was in the CVT, I asked if he could measure my belt since I didn't know exactly what the state was. (The previous owner had passed away, and his widow did not know the exact state of some of the maintenance.)

He said it looked good, and said that it was 30 mm at it's widest, and then said that it was 20 mm at its narrowest.

I looked up the specs online, and now I'm a little confused by this description. Are there wide points and narrow points of the belt? Does it wear unevenly? Or could he have been referring to a different dimension, like the height?

He said it looked good, but 30 mm seemed wider than I thought they started at, and 20 mm seemed way too narrow.

I will call him back today, but I just want to make sure I ask the right questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
It depends on where is measuring the belt, if he's measuring the inner (bottom) then 20 would be good, 30 up top is good as I understand it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Here's a page from the service manual. Looks like 24.1-25.1 mm is normal at its widest.

The belt is in a trapezoidal shape, called a V-Belt, width-wise, all way round, there are no wide or narrow parts, just the V. It wears evenly. So he probably measured 20 at the bottom of the V and 30(?) at the top of the V. That 30 is confusing. Send him this page and ask him to do it again.

View attachment 21537

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I made a couple measurments on mine when I took the case off at 5500 miles. Friend (X-MC Mechanic) saw it and said - belt being even at top of secondary pulley when at bottom of primnary pulley (bike not running) indicates belt not worn much.

Micrometer (best I could get it in there and hard to say how much pressure you put against the belt with the micrometer when making measurement).

Anyway, for what it is worth - I measured 1.04in to 1.07in I think it was.

That would be say 1.04 inches x 2.54CM per inch 2.64CM (26.4MM).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Groovy, so it sounds good. I hadn't had a chance to check out the CVT since I got it, and the belt life has been one thing that has worried me.

Would 30 mm indicate that it's a fairly new belt then?

Also, you have a service manual on your tablet? Nice! Can one buy one a digital service manual? Or is there one freely (and legally) available online somewhere?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Actually, a new belt is hexagonal in shape and, as it wears, tends to become more trapezoidal. During this wear period, from hexagonal to trapezoidal, the belt width will remain largely unchanged. Once the belt cross section becomes fully trapezoidal, you will begin to see a decrease in belt width with continued wear.

I don't see how the belt could ever be 30mm and still fit.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
If the belt actually is 30mm,
it is not the correct belt.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What Liamjs said, and according to the instructions you just measures you the width as shown in diagram pic 3... It should be 25 mm max 24 mm minimum

·
Registered
709 Posts
What Liamjs said, and according to the instructions you just measures you the width as shown in diagram pic ... It should be 25 mm max 24 mm minimum.
I agree if it's 30 mm and somebody has put another Most likely cheap belt on there

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the CVT cover off and look at my belt width as well. Is there a way to peek in and measure the belt without pulling the whole cover off, i.e and inspection or access hole?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the CVT cover off and look at my belt width as well. Is there a way to peek in and measure the belt without pulling the whole cover off, i.e and inspection or access hole?
Nope.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
NO...you will need to remove the cover,
so the belt width can be measured accurately.
The cheap digital micrometer sold at Harbor
Freight, or other tool supply, can give you
a good idea of belt wear.
The link posted in a previous comment in this
thread will give you the measurements.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not with any acceptable level of accuracy.

=============================================

Also, to further clear up the confusion over the shop manual width specifications:

The two belt specs listed in the shop manuals are the minimum acceptable service limit, and the absolute replacement limit;

However by using confusing column headers Specification and Note he '07+ shop manual does not make this as clear as it could. The '03 to '06 manual which refers to the two specifications as STANDARD and LIMT which is somewhat better.

'07+ specs:

'03 to '06 specs:

The Specification and STANDARD dimensions refer to the minimum acceptable width (at the belt's widest) that a belt can be considered as fit for continued service.

The Note and LIMIT specs are the widths at which the bet should be replaced.

On my '03 a new belt is nearly 26 mm wide (25.9+), some 4.1 mm wider than the "STANDARD" specification--therefore it would not surprise me to find that a new '07+ belt was 30 mm wide...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts