Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Parlez-vous what it say ?

Sprechen Sie Deutsch ?

I am a Jelly Donut :

Clipped from the article for other lazy americans.

Written by Alexis Ferrante
04.02.2020 at 16:30

“Goodbye maxi-scooter Suzuki Burgman 650
End of the road for the maxi-scooter GT after a two-decade career
No new Maxiscoot 650 for Hamamatsu
Suzuki Burgman 650 puts the garageThe Burgman including the Burgman 650 ! This is THE GT maxi-scooter market, a maxi-scooter that has continued to evolve since eighteen years to the point that it has become the maxi scooter GT. In fact, it's simple, there was the TMax for sports maxi-scoots and the Burgman 650 for the GT. The competition is then locked to the two monsters to offer replicas.

Well the Burgman 650, it's over. The production is stopped and there will be more. It is not a question just wait for the release Euro5 but rather to see permanently dismiss the reference GT scooters.

I must say that Suzuki had not revealed many new regarding scooters since the last changes observed involved the Burgman 400 in 2017 . The market for large scooters were mainly European and coherent from a global perspective with smaller cars. All the manufacturer to stop its highest-end model.

Appeared in 2002, the Burgman 650 is a veritable institution since it was he who launched the fashion for big cars cut for comfort, as opposed to Yamaha TMax that put him on the sporting side. The maxi-scoot Japanese has been a real success for the manufacturer Hamamatsu who manage to sell the 83,000 copies in a decade without changing anything. It is in fact in 2013 a new Burgman 650 has emerged evolving in style and equipment.

Competition has made since becoming stronger with the emergence of other brands. But sales of the Burgman 650 continued to turn around 500 models each year in France over the last years.

While new developments were required by next year to maintain the Burgman Catalog by bringing it into compliance with Euro 5 , the Japanese firm took the opposite option, the engine can not easily pass with a simple Euro5 Upgrade. It would take a true complete new engine, which is not on schedule. The production of the 650 has been definitively halted and it is not expected that a new version is created.

Only the Burgman 400 is still present in the catalog and should continue while the Burgman 125 should also stop after the flow of inventory pending Euro5 version for it. However, another model of maxi-scooter, different displacement and another segment, could happen in the near future.”

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
It was easier to read it translated to German than English. A few syntax errors French to English.

There is a button at the top to pick language.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Still the reporting of a journalist on an online news web site and not a confirmed official notice from the factory. In fact the worse that is happening at Suzuki is that they have simply stopped talking about it or listing it for future years. Considering they really only go out one or two years in their catalogs that is not a statement of permanent demise just yet. Same could be said for the original Valkyrie from Honda several years ago and that came back totally redesigned after being missing from all documentation for those several years. Same as other models from almost every motorcycle maker for at least one of their models. Yes, some models are discontinued indefinitely (means no one but the factory knows for sure). Some for a very long time and then come back in modified form years later. Has happened before and will happen again. Not saying the Burgman 650 will definitely be back, but only time will tell for sure. An official Delorean is permanently out of production. That's 'cuz the company no longer exists. Suzuki is still around.

I'd still like to think that Suzuki has something in mind to fill the function of a large displacement Super Scooter.

BTW- I use Chrome on my Chromebook and there is an option to auto-translate that seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I got one now and will pick up a 2018 model a couple years after LeDude.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm blaming this on Europe!

I've got 19k miles on my 2014. At my current run-rate, I've got over 7 years until the bike hits 50k. By then I'll be 75 yo, and most likely will be aging-out of multi-day touring. Still, an impulse buy in 2022 or 23 would not have surprised me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I blame this on Elon Musk. That stinker has every automaker scrambling to go electric. Bicycles too are going electric. It's harder for motorcycles because the sound and the look of the engine are important sales features. For scooters, it's an obvious upgrade. Drive components are hidden and nobody cares what's under there anyway. Why develop a new gasoline engine at a time like this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bad news for owners and enthusiasts. I saw this article on FB, from a French magazine:

Quite sad isn’t it?
Now let’s wait for something new, hopefully with “real” suspensions (the Burgman’s suspensions sucks IMHO). Who knows.

Have a nice ride with your scooter.
Davide.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
A member posted this yesterday.

But, YES, sad.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
there are many battery powered "devices" replacing the old style, swmbo has warned me I need to upgrade the power stroke or I may be replaced by a "rechargeable" :eek:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
according to RideApart: 2020 Could Mark The End Of The Road For The Suzuki Burgman

"
Another one bites the dust.
The Suzuki Burgman is a staple of the scooter segment. It’s been around for a little over 20 years, and several versions have since been introduced. In the U.S., we have access to three of them—200, 400, and 600cc—but that could be about to change. Rumor has it that almost all the versions of the Burgman are being replaced by new scooters. To set the record straight, French site Moto Station reached out to Guillaume Vuillardot, business manager for Suzuki France, to question him on the matter. It looks like there’s truth to the rumor after all.

The reporter got to ask Vuillardot a few very pointed questions about the future of the Burgman family. While Vuillardot’s first answers were prudent and vague, the writer eventually got him to open up and be more candid about the situation. According to the interview, the Burgman 400 will be the only one to make to cut and to receive Euro 5-compliant upgrades. The 125 (sold in Europe), 200, and 650 versions will be pulled before the end of 2020 and replaced by what Vuillardot refers to as new urban commuting options.
He adds that those “new options” will also be scooters or, to be specific, he answers the reporter’s question with “we can absolutely call them scooters.” Maybe this means that the new vehicles won’t be scooters in the classic sense of the word?

Interestingly, according to Moto Station, the Burgman 400 isn’t the best-selling version of the model; the entry-level 125 and flagship 650 are. The decision to keep the 400 around might stem from the fact that the model was redesigned from the ground up in 2018. Sales of the Suzuki scooters are, however, very slim compared to their Honda and Yamaha counterparts which could explain why the manufacturer is looking at a new urban mobility strategy.
Of course, the interview focuses mainly on the French state of affairs—Vuillardot doesn’t mention any global impacts. However, considering most companies renew and discontinue their models across most markets based on the new European emissions standards, it wouldn’t be surprising for the decision to affect Suzuki’s North American lineup. The current Burgmans are only Euro 4 compliant and manufacturers are expected to up their game to meet the new Euro 5 regulations taking effect this year. "

😢

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
Well a few things wrong in that post but...
The 2018 AN400 was NOT a 'Ground up' revamp. You can remove a 2007 engine and put a 2018 engine in its place with maybe a couple changes. I'd bet you could swap the triple tree too. Just body parts are 'Ground Up'

Now if they, Suzuki, were to upgrade to Euro5 spec's using 400cc's then give us a parallel twin with a better CVT. The 650's CVT with a twin 400cc would fit a lot of needs. Suzuki did offer the 650's CVT on a 250cc Skyway in Asia.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Can we merge these posts about the same subject/content?

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I'm not seeing an option to do that. It's possible I'm just missing it, but so far no.
I guess we could just close one of 'em and let the other run.

Can we merge these posts about the same subject/content?

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
I'm not seeing an option to do that. It's possible I'm just missing it, but so far no.
I guess we could just close one of 'em and let the other run.
There is a way but its a bit different. Its shown in Crickets post to Moderators.

·
I'm Retired
9,377 Posts
You've already read it from other sources. Here it is from another.

Chris

___

The Rumors Are The Suzuki Burgman May Get The Axe
Wade Thiel WADE THIEL FEBRUARY 7, 2020
2020 Suzuki Burgman 200 ABS
It May Scoot To Scooter Heaven
Rumors have been swirling of the Suzuki Burgman’s impending demise. In an interview with Moto Station, Guillaume Vuillardot, business manager for Suzuki France, it was said that the Burgman 400 will be the only model to continue under Euro 5 compliance. That means the 200 and 600 Burgmans that are sold in various markets will be no more.

Vuillardot was a bit cagey at first about the topic but then said that the 400 would be the only one to continue on. What’s interesting is that the Burgman 400 isn’t the best-selling model. That would be the 125cc model sold in European markets. Suzuki doesn’t sell many of these scooters when compared to the other companies playing in that space, but I know several folks who like the Burgman. It’s still an important player.

It’s important to point out that Vuillardot is talking specifically about Suzuki France. That means the Burgman 200 could continue to live on in the U.S. It was not confirmed that the model would be discontinued here. Suzuki has continued to sell the Hayabusa in the U.S. despite the fact that it does not sell it in other areas of the world. It will be interesting to see if the company decides to keep all variations of the Burgman rolling in North America. Time will tell, but if you’re interested in a Burgman, now might be the time to buy before Suzuki does something to it.

·
I'm Retired
9,377 Posts
I'm blaming this on Europe!

I've got 19k miles on my 2014. At my current run-rate, I've got over 7 years until the bike hits 50k. By then I'll be 75 yo, and most likely will be aging-out of multi-day touring. Still, an impulse buy in 2022 or 23 would not have surprised me.
Jeff, you need to get out and ride some. I have 50K on my 2014, and 14,400 miles planned for trips this summer, not counting commuting. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Jeff, you need to get out and ride some. I have 50K on my 2014, and 14,400 miles planned for trips this summer, not counting commuting. ;)

Chris
Alas, I can only ride one bike at a time. The 400 is my day-to-day. The 650 is my touring bike. I was about to brag about my own upcoming 2500 mile trip this summer, instead I'll just slink off. . . .

1 - 20 of 49 Posts