Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Burgman folks!
Well, I did it. I purchased my first maxi-Scooter... but at first I certainly had reservations. Here's the story... I drove 5 hours to the Suzuki dealer. The closer I came to the dealership, the more reservations I had! Unlike many of you who were thrilled about the prospect of buying a new Burgman. I have learned from my studies in counseling that fear is more often than not a sign to go forward, and not to retreat. (Also, I knew that the impact of my brother being killed in his own airplane two years ago had an impact on how "accidents" can happen in how sudden death can be.) So I told myself I will see how it goes at the dealership. The salesperson (the guy who originally told me that the Burgman 400 did not come with a windshield, and who did not at first reveal that it was a 2003 versus a 2004 model) had to leave on a business trip. An assistant showed me how the various gizmos on the Scooter worked. Then he told me that since I did not have a motorcycle endorsement, I could not ride the Scooter (realize that I had not driven before a large Scooter, including the Burgman 400),. I just looked at him (I probably had the look in my that said "well, this deal is over!") He caught himself at the stupidity of his statement, and said , " well, just drive it on the side streets." When I took off I expected to feel a big honkin Harley was between my legs! Note that I did not want a feel of a big motorcycle (years ago I used to own an old Indian... With a suicide clutch!). I was amazed at the smoothness in ease of the drive, and returned to close the deal. Then I discovered two small scratches on the front fender. As I approached the finance person with the idea that I wanted $100 taken off for the scratches, the salesperson had already noticed the scratches and arranged for ironically $100 to be taken off) ... that cemented the deal. Out the door it cost me $4699. The finance Lady (who was a real sweetheart) responded to my interest in the dealer cost for the Scooter. She pulled out the invoice and it indicated $4746. She told me that the salesperson often gets rid of cycles if they sit around for too long because it cost them money. Of course, there's always the possibility that Suzuki pays the dealer or some kind of bonus when a Scooter is sold.

As I drove home with the Scooter in my trailer, I thought of all you folks who had responded to my inquiry regarding a Burgman purchase. I also thought of the camaraderie I felt from communicating on the Internet with all of you. So thanks! Okay okay, I need some more info! So I will list those separately, in the event you want to respond.

Bob Dorsett

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on getting the 400 Bob. Seems you got a great deal on it. I'm sure you'll have a blast with the Burgman. If the scratches bug ya, a little touch up paint works wonders. I had my 400 less than 2 weeks before I had some minor scratches on it.

Bill

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Jim said:
Thats why God made bugs, to cover the scratches.
And here I was thinking it was to try and keep me out of triple digits on a Burgman. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Congratulation on your Burgman, and a good deal,
You ask the questions and I feel sure someone around here will answer :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations, Bob! And welcome to the wonderful world of the Burgie 400! We adore ours and have already put 1K miles on it in just less than 2 months. :D
Wishing you many happy and safe miles ahead,

Bryna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts