Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a lap top, just one more "toy" I don't need, but something to play with, and if my desk goes down it could sub for a while.
Ebay has a lot of Dell C100 & C610 units for around 400.00 . I guess these are older units because I can not find them listed at the Dell site--Why Dell, I don't know except my desk unit is one-- anyone know if the price is right -or maybe another overlooked brand - don't need a power house but I would like a screen around 14"
TIA :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Randy - Most of the major mfgs (Dell, HP etc.) have web sites that (as you probably already know) have some pretty good deals on computer hardware. Buying a used computer isn't someting that I think that I'd bother with...well, I would, but then again I have a pretty good handle on Operating Systems, software etc. If you don't need a lot of computing horsepower, there are some prtty good deals at all of their sites. Just my .02

However, if you want to go the used route then be ready to adopt what ever gremlins that the current owner has aquired. It's tough to see beyond the used units low prices. I understand. I know there are hardware pros in this forum that can add better advice than this...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would stay away from (1) used notebook and (2) buying notebooks from ebay at all.

First of all, notebook is not as serviceable as desktop machine. If something dies in notebook, you will probably have hard time finding parts and doing service on that thing.
As for ebay, as far as I know, notebook deals lead scam statistics on ebay.

I monitor http://www.dealnews.com/ - it is a great resource for deals, coupons, etc. I often notice deals for new notebooks for as little as 599 - and you get new one, with warranty coverage for only 200 more compared to used @ 400 from ebay.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like Dell. Check out refurbs on their site. Got my wife a laptop thataway. Actually, come to think of it, it started out as my laptop. :shock:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I own 2 laptops from Dell. One was a refurb and the other brand new and both work great. Refurb was $450 2 years ago and the brand new one Inspirion 6000 was $900 a month ago.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Yeah Dave - I have had to do this a few times with many different variations to the "theme."

I am glad you have such a secure grasp on you OS. When your 14 year old Son screws up your stuff, just let us know. - specially when youre hooking up perifs... We might be able to throw you a bone also.

ffffffftttttttpppppp!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry Pete, that was a low blow. I work on OPOs's (other peoples operating systems) all the time. It can be a struggle even without the young un's playin' around in there. Sometimes the adults can be just as bad or worse! I don't use Windows anymore but still have enough knowledge to help those in need get back up and running. I'm looking forward to the arrival of Longhorn so I claim ignorance. (Some folks say I don't need Longhorn for that!)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
zokay dave. that was sorta of a whack.
be nice man. be nice.
i was happy to get my PC offa its knees in only 12 hours. with NO help. but like i said i have a fairly good grasp on this stuff.
pedz.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy,

As a former Dell Tech, I should be able to answer most questions you might have. What do you want to know?

If I was considering a used Dell laptop, I'd buy from DFS (Dell Financial Services) on eBay. When looking at DFS machines, any listed without the operating system are no longer under warranty and do not come with an OS loaded nor CDs to install it. Those that do have an OS listed, are still under a factory warranty period and it should be possible to extend it. Take the service tag listed in the auction and look it up on the Dell Support Site and you can find out how many days of support is left. Also pay attention to if it has "Complete Care" listed. Complete Care is accidental damage coverage and will cover user related damage like if you knock it off the deak or spill a drink on it. Most of the DFS machines are "off lease" rather than factory returns. I have a Dell L400 ultralight I bought from DFS and have been very happy with it so far.

If you want to spend a few dollars more, you can get a NEW Dell Inspiron 1000 notebook w/ Celeron 2.2GHz, 14.1in XGA, 256MB, 30GB, CDRW, 56k/NIC, 8-Cell battery, XP Home, 90-day Warranty $749 - $250 off coupon code: 1Z6Q6QN2SX6D9R (exp 4/28/2005, 5:59am CST) = $499 + $49 shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts