Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old HP would not boot this afternoon. I was having problems for a while with the screen locking up and would have to hit the power button to get out.

Below is the screens I got and I tried to reload Windows 10 but lost all the apps in the process but saved my files.

My older computer (5 years old) was not upgradable to Windows 11 so I now have Windows 11 and I'm going to start to use Microsoft Edge from now on instead of Google.

Took me a while just to figure out how to get back here so there is a learning curve!

I got a Dell Model:i3910-5870BLU-PUS with a 256GB SSD so see if it will last longer then my hard drive. List was $699.99 and sale price was $549.99. I got an open box model so dropped it to $500.00. Plus no payments for a year.

I think I did ok for last minute shopping.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My older computer (5 years old) was not upgradable to Windows 11 so I now have Windows 11 and I'm going to start to use Microsoft Edge from now on instead of Google.
I have an "older" computer as well ... and just like you, I was told it was not able to accept Windows 11. So I downloaded Linux Cinnamon Mint 64...burned it onto a DVD disk...and installed it alongside Windows 10. The last update I got for Windows 10 disabled my computer from rebooting. Even after restoring it back to date previous to the recent update...it still attempted to install the update again with same results. This is when I decided to install Linux. It's free to download and never a charge for anything at all. It updates regularly and is more-or-less immune to virus as viruses are written to affect Microsoft products and LInux leans more toward the Mac OS. Go ahead and try it on your "older" computer! You'll be glad you did! It's all I ever use any more. Here's a link for you ... Download Linux Mint 21 - Linux Mint ... make sure you choose the Cinnamon edition as it is the most full-featured. You will find that Linux is easy to use. Anyone who's used Windows before will be able to take to Linux like a fish to water! Good luck!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
My 13-year-old Lenovo Edge 431 just keeps cranking away without problems. It started with XP, upgraded to Windows 7, and then to Windows 10. It won't accept Windows 11 but Windows 10 is supported until October 2025 so I see no need to worry about it. I did upgrade my hard drive to an SDD a couple of years ago and the difference in speed astounded me: It used to take about a minute and one-half to boot up, and it now takes 15 seconds. It was like getting a new PC. However, everything I've read indicates that SSDs do not last as long as HDDs, but that's a price I'm willing to pay in exchange for the performance boost.

I do a daily incremental backup of my user files on an external SSD on my desk, and I also use Carbonite to keep another backup "in the cloud." If and when I experience a complete failure, I will be inconvenienced but I won't lose any data. This stuff is too important to take any chances, IMHO. I use my PC much of the day for several organizations with which I'm involved.

I gave up on Google Chrome years ago. Google retains and sells far too much information for my tastes. I stick with Mozilla Firefox as my browser and Duck Duck Go as the default search engine, so my footprint is smaller than it might otherwise be. When I'm doing something I really want to protect from prying eyes I flip on my VPN and essentially go dark. It costs a lousy $40 per year and is worth every cent.

·
Registered
912 Posts
No offense to anyone, writing or reading this thread . It gets confusing. Most think of browsers and search engines as the same. Again it’s easy to confuse.
For anyone interested, here’s one of the more simplified explanations:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Been running Mint since 2009.
MS Office equivalent and compatible is installed with the operating system, as are all other basics.
Anything that is not automatically installed is easy to find and install via the package manager.
The "MATE" edition is less resource intensive, quicker, and, by their own account, most stable.

You can create a "live" dvd, or USB stick, and try Cinnamon and Mate, without installing anything on your hard drive.
Both are customisable for appearance. You can even mimic Windows XP or 7.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm just struggling to figure out what you guys are talking about. When I was in college I was techno-geek on the cutting edge. So if any of you need an explanation of an abacus....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts