Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, forgive me for asking these questions one at time, but they just keep coming up in my head. OK, here is the question: "Does the high cost of buying new, or recent (to get ABS), outweigh the savings of buying used (pre-ABS);)?" Before answering this question, or giving your opinion, please realize that I don't won't money or dropping a bike to be the motivating factor. I, and my wife, need to put safety in perspective also!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ABS is a great safety feature but it is not the "end all" for braking. Learning how to properly brake and practicing is FAR more important. I read a study and after ABS became standard on cars there was an increase in accidents involving certain braking scenarios. The reason they came up with is that people were relying on the ABS instead of proper braking technique. It was the highest with new drivers that started with ABS but even seasoned drivers did it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Get the ABS. The Burgman is big and heavy and the assistance the ABS provides can make a difference. With it, the Burgman stops very quickly, without lockup or skidding. I have another bike as fat and heavy, without ABS, that takes more effort and distance to stop.

As noted, you still need to know hpw to stop safely without ABS to make the most of it. Panic stops are a good thing to practice.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Although most recommend it, and it's good for aiding in braking for many, I personally don't care for it ABS in any vehicle.

It's one factor of control I don't have.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I, and my wife, need to put safety in perspective also!
You've pretty much answered your own question. If safety is your motivating factor, then get the abs model, if only for the piece of mind.

It's not necessary and a good, well practiced rider can pilot a bike a bike just fine without it. I've been doing it for 35 years.

But, abs has been around for the better part of a decade on the Burgmans. A good deal of used bikes have it. So if its just a matter of a few hundred dollars, just get the abs and feel better about your purchase. I'm sure the wife will feel better.

In the immortal words of Jeff Foxworthy speaking on families, "If mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy".

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ABS saved my life without question on my 400z abs model just a year ago. I've biked for over 42 years and never needed abs. Never thought I would. I know how to brake, I have been a bike instructor for over 12 years and never had abs at that time. But this one time, riding my Burgman it was the only way I survived. It gave me the chance to scrub off speed at maximum braking pressure, while still being able to steer not only around the obstacle but oncoming traffic. I would have gone down for sure without abs and been killed. I was doing over 60mph at the time and the situation was a deer running out of the hedgerow at near point blank range into my path. Everyone in their cars thought I was going to be a gonna, including me. First time it's happened to me like that. ABS everytime for me now! In answer to your question: no...the cost of new or near new is well worth it if you can get a better bike with abs.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think of ABS the same way I think if Air Bags. I hope I never need to use either but if you need them only once, they might be a lifesaver.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was doing over 60mph at the time and the situation was a deer running out of the hedgerow at near point blank range into my path.
You are unlikely to have been killed.
Former member here hit a deer at 60 mph - kept it upright and drove it home.

How do I know this.??

I have his seat that the insurance company wrote off :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get the ABS. Real world streets are too strong of a mix of surfaces and sudden braking events. If it saves you just one fender bender during your ownership then it just paid for itself (at least). It makes even more sense if you do any long rides when, at the end of the day, your reaction times and attention will be worse than at the start. Or if you'll be riding in any wet conditions.

People can talk about optimal dry surface braking at length but when I took an Advanced Rider class on a BMW bike with ABS I was able to stop shorter than all the other (non-ABS) bikes aside from one Triumph Speed Triple (known to be an awesome-braking bike) that was pulling stoppies. And it did not require any special skill or feel at the controls. I have no doubt that a skilled rider can stop shorter than me under optimal dry conditions. Add in real world street surfaces, some weather, and six-plus hours of riding? Bet on any monkey with ABS.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Get ABS, it could save you or passenger serious injury and life, it can keep bike up and prevent disastrous slide.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ABS is the biggest reason I traded in my 09 non-ABS Tmax for a new 650 Burgman with ABS. In all the time I owned the Tmax, 4 1/2 years, I never once locked up the brakes. But all it takes is one OH Sh#@ moment on bad/slick pavement and down you'll go. I always like having ABS on a bike and will gladly pay extra for it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with all that has been said, however, I have owned both a 2006 non ABS and 2011 650 with ABS and can't say that I preferred one over the other. I made an emergency stop with the '06 when a car pulled out in front of me, and was able to make a straight stop without to much drama. In fact, I am always impressed with the brakes these scoots have, but then I also ride a Royal Enfield with what some might call marginal brakes. Given the choice, ABS will always be the wise one. However, not having ABS hasn't stopped me from buying and ridding a bike. There many factors to safety. The safest is probably not owning one.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
ABS is the biggest reason I traded in my 09 non-ABS Tmax for a new 650 Burgman with ABS.
Similar....one reason I sold the 2005 non ABS 650 for the 2009 ABS version.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If I was worried that much about ABS, I wouldn't take up the dangerous sport of riding.

Dodging, ducking, swerving, looking, awaiting danger, cliff hanger moments is all part of motorcycling...

I personally would not let ABS make or break the deal. Run multiple practice emergency stops and get a feel for the brakes, always applying slightly more to the rear so the front doesn't nose dive.

ABS will assist you in the way of anti skid, however there are thousands of people that think ABS is some kind of genius system that no matter what happens you won't crash.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
If I was worried that much about ABS, I wouldn't take up the dangerous sport of riding.

Dodging, ducking, swerving, looking, awaiting danger, cliff hanger moments is all part of motorcycling...

I personally would not let ABS make or break the deal. Run multiple practice emergency stops and get a feel for the brakes, always applying slightly more to the rear so the front doesn't nose dive.

ABS will assist you in the way of anti skid, however there are thousands of people that think ABS is some kind of genius system that no matter what happens you won't crash.

Yup

+1

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a 2009 Burgman 650 without ABS. I was taking the advance motorcycle course. The instructor said, "Now we are going to practice the swerve/emergency stop". He stood about 30 feet in front of us and told us to come at him at 20 MPH. If he put out his left arm, swerve left, right, swerve right, both arms stop as fast as we could. Well, I was suppose to stop as fast as possible. Of course I had full riding protection and was going slow in a large empty parking lot. Applying both brakes, the front wheel locked up and down I went. The front wheel skidded and I had lost control. Minor damage to the bike. Cracked the windshield and scratched the mirror. I don't think there is any way to tell how hard you can press the brakes before you skid. In an emergency you don't have any time to think you just act instinctively.

About three months later I traded it in on a 2012 650 exec with ABS. I have never locked up the brakes since then and didn't want to try it with the ABS. I might try it one of these days using just the back brake to see how it feels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts