Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh, grandma, what big keys you've got...
they are too fat to fit on key rings but makes nice concealed weapons.

·
Registered
75 Posts
keys

Why, oh why, can't I get a replacement fat key? The dealer says if I want a fat key with the magnetic coded wrench I have to order the whole lock assembly. If I do that I still won't have the three keys I need. Only two keys come with the lock. I need three keys. Sure I can get a locksmith to make a third key but then one of us will be riding with the fear that the ignition cover will get closed and the third person won't be able to open it.

If I have the key number and the bill of sale I should be able to order the key!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reposted here in "FEEDBACK" from general discussion section.

Right now I carry a regular flat key on my key ring and under no circumstances do I want to carry another big fat key. The ignition shutter cover would be ok if it took the same special key to close it as to open it. It can be closed by ANY Suzuki key or even a wide screwdriver. Right now is is a bear trap waiting to be tripped. If it gets closed there is no way for me to open it without going home to get the spare. I'd have no complaints if Suzuki would make fat blank spares available at a REASONABLE price. Having to buy the whole lock assembly, to get a new key is even more unreasonable.

To me, it is a deal breaker and will be a BIG influence to return to Honda for my next bike. I DON'T WANT TO CARRY A FAT KEY AND I DON'T WANT TO PAY INFLATED PRICES FOR A THIRD KEY. PERIOD. NON NEGOIATABLE. I WON'T DO IT......ARE YOU LISTENING MR. SUZUKI????

·
Registered
611 Posts
By chance, my wife's fat key for her AN400K4 and the one for my AN650K3 open both of our ignition covers - so to buy a seperate one and get 4 more blanks isn't that bad of a deal (we'll both have 4 that way). But if you sell them with 4 blanks - then why didn't we get 4 in the first place?

I would also like the key to be smaller. I have gotten used to taking my Suzuki keys (DR650S, GSX1100G, GSF1200S), vutting most of the head off - and drilling a new hole for my key ring. But I can't do that and still have the special cover key...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Both Nan and I have had our keys mysteriously bend in normal use. Hers had to be straightened in order to fit!
The keys are just plain too big.

If I can figure out how to do it, or if somebody else works up a kit, I'm probably going to install a Hardley-style switch. The switch is locked in place with a barrel key (nice and small) and once unlocked can be turned off and on without the key. I'd also want to put the headlight on a relay so that it doesn't come on until the starter has been run.

The only thing I'll lose is the remote trunk latch. Something could probably be rigged inside the locking glove box.

Until then, I may just apply a drop of super glue to the shutter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, I agree the keys are so big and the keyring hole in such an odd position that I ruin keyrings trying to get it on.
The only keyring type that I have found to work is the following:

RETURN TO TIFFANY heart tag key ring, small. Sterling silver.
$80

1 - 6 of 6 Posts