Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some discusion here about riding jackets. I need to purchase gear for myself and the wife. Summers here do get hot and humid so I need a good vented jacket that will afford some good protection. Or do you have to take a tradeoff...more comfort means less protection..etc.
What brand do you wear? My purchase will more likely be on the web, since a large bike shop that carries any selection is a good drive from here. All comments will be appreciated?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ksmall1998 said:
I've seen some discusion here about riding jackets. I need to purchase gear for myself and the wife. Summers here do get hot and humid so I need a good vented jacket that will afford some good protection. Or do you have to take a tradeoff...more comfort means less protection..etc.
I have an expensive German (MotoPort) fabric jacket with a removeable lining and the internal foam body armor. When I bought it several years ago, I asked why it didn't have zip open vents like some of the other jackets. I was told that it didn't need them because the fabric was designed to be breathable. Yeh, right. You sweat like a roast pig if you wear it on those hot & humid days. It sits in the closet - I don't wear it anymore. Ever.

Last Fall I bought an HJC fabric riding jacket( same company that made my helmet). It also has a removeable liner for cold weather, and internal foam body armor. Has lots of pockets. Has 3 zip open vents, 2 in front, 1 in back. I love it. The zip open vents make it comfortable up to the mid-to-high-eighties temp range, if I remove my shirt & ride with just a T-shirt under it. It also works fine when the temp is in the 20's - I use a heated Gerbing Jacket Liner under it then, instead of the supplied removeable liner. HJC has discontinued its clothing line, so it was discontined merchandise - I got it for $100. But there are many similar jackets out there.

The salesman had showed me his First Gear Jackets, which are pricey (over $300 like that German one I have). The First Gear jackets do have vents, but they seemed over complicated with features, and felt stiffer - more uncomfortable. When he went in the back room and dug out the HJC I liked it better. When I found it would only cost me $100, I was sold.

When the temperature gets too high for the HJC, I stow it and slip on my perforated leather jacket. It is full of tiny holes - you can feel the breeze blow right through it. No body armor. Not the greatest protection, but certainly better than a golf shirt - which is what I used to end up with at those temps. I also have perforated leather gloves which I wear when its hot.

There are now perforated fabric jackets, with some body armor, that probably are just as comfortable but with better protection I'd think. They weren't available back when I bought the leather. I probably should give them a look.

Those are my two main riding jackets. I also have a nice (non-perforated) leather jacket that I wear occasionally. Nostalgia, I guess. I've had it for quite a while. But I could do without it.

Where you live, my advice is to get two jackets. One that is perforated for the really hot weather. And a good fabric general purpose jacket with removeable liner and zip open vents for when the heat/humidity isn't as severe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've always had Hein-Gericke stuff. I had the V-Pilot and loved it. Right now, I'm wearing a Joe rocket mesh jacket due to the fact that my current scoot isn't highway legal. If I get the Burgman, I'll be getting an S-Pilot.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wear a Joe Rocket Textile jacket myself. It has the removable liner for cold days and has 2 zip vents in the chest and 2 on the arm as well as 2 vents in the back to let all that good air to pass through. I enjoy it quite abit. I guess I should also state that it has full armour as well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
After Allan found our old post, I want to add that you should get a copy of motorcycle consumer news (about 1.5 years ago) that reviewed mesh jackets. As I previously posted, I wnt with a zero 60 mesh jacket. It has armor and is comfortable.

The best deal out there no matter what jacket you pick is to buy a Joe Rocket dry tek liner for about $30. It is windproof and waterproof. It folds very small. I carry it for those days when the temp either starts out cool or you ride late and it gets cooler.

Eddie

·
Registered
308 Posts
Belstaff

I wear a Belstaff Classic riding Jacket. Waxed cotton, designed for riding. No Armor, but made for warm/cool weather riding. I have a leather, and a full up First Gear top and bottom with armor, and I agree that the 1st gear is stiff and full of features that most wont use. But you cant argue that the 1st gear equipmwnt is poorly made, its great.

I promise if you waer a Belstaff once, you will never go back for a casual riding garment. It looks and feels so right for scootering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts