Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cheeky heads-up, this. I have read a number of posted inquiries to the effect of "is this a good deal or what?" and "whaddya mean a cheap machine hasta be in bad shape" or maybe "I saw it on ebay for three-kay, why doncha sell me your cherried-out 650 for that much?" Mumble, snarl, gnash, shriek.

So here's a project that's been percolating or maybe curdling in my mind the past couple of weeks: how about chronicling my own experiences with such a "hot deal AN400" for the benefit of folks who might be considering going for the less-than-golden item? New plastic should arrive in 2 weeks; digicam is at the ready. And I am trying to make a mental imprint how it feels now, before starting the project, having my confidence intact.

Anyhow, it might provoke some helpful dialog from you mentors out there, and some long thinking on the part of newbies considering that route... Suggestions on what to look for, write about, omit?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
A few suggestions :
  • Pictures are always welcome[/*:m:3an1u3u7]
  • Cost of replcement parts[/*:m:3an1u3u7]
  • A tally on all the cost.[/*:m:3an1u3u7]
  • How much time you spent on each item[/*:m:3an1u3u7]
  • Any problems you ran into[/*:m:3an1u3u7]

You might also look at the gallery :

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/gdavis13

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
James

It would be great to share your experience with the forum.
As Bill says a schedule of parts (part numbers), price and shipping costs would help inform others who are undertaking or considering this route. Of course pictures will help to digest the project.

Hey and good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Parts is Parts

James,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA!

I to took took the plunge and am waiting on the arrival of a discombobulated scooter purchased from (gasp!) eBay. I am expecting the worst so hopefully I will be pleasantly suprised. I plan on documenting with pictures the entire restoration process as well as the costs, time frames, laughter, tears...and such for the forums.

It will be nice to compare notes with someone else in the same boat. Mine is a 2003 650 in blue....initial pictures will be posted in the forum as soon as it arrives mid February or so.

I'm certain you will find everyone willing and able to assist with some good advice and certainly some levity.

Best of luck, Godspeed and Happy Scootering!

Dee

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update here. A week or so ago, two sealed cartons of mystery arrived from ronayers.com. Well, not actually containing anything mysterious, but suggesting an adventure into uncharted territory. Because of course those nice clean and imaginatively crafted hunks of plastic need to become part of das svelte. And so far it has gone pretty well. Let's see... Consult the forum's gallery, especially Norman's contributions; print out pages from the online microfiches; get the digicam ready; put on very old clothing; adjust the lighting; and....****, there's no putting it off any longer, I guess.

Things are progressing. The right side front box is in place, after a somewhat groping disassembly of front end covering. Put on Givi windshield while things were apart. As I take the pics I upload them and run them through Photoshop/ImageReady and Illustrator (for arrows). Sorting and captioning will happen when the thing is finished. I haven't been a faithful time-clock puncher, but many hours invested so far. I am probably half way finished. Need to find an aerosol can of metallic silver for some of the parts I did not replace which, next to the fresh new ones, look a bit dowdy.

Dee, I hope this doesn't sound discouraging. What may not have come through in my narrative so far, is that as a non-mechanic mechanic, I have thoroughly enjoyed this ongoing challenge.

The oil looked & smelled like sludge, felt slightly gritty.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
If you want to make sure of a color match, you can get the paint from Color Rite. Their prices are a bit high, but might be worth it if you're concerned about color matching.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discouraged?

Discouraged? Who me? Nope! I'm looking forward to jumping in with both feet, um arms, maybe elbows, teeth? Even though this will be a lot of work the end result will be worth it. AND...much better for commuting than my 50cc scoot!

PS: I'll check in when I actually get it...I just may be discouraged then! ;)

Dee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts