Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but having had bikes for 40+ years, maintenance normally ends up with me lying on the floor fiddling about with various low-slung bits on the bike. This is downright uncomfortable and gets clothes mucky! Tried knee-pads etc, but they didn't do the trick, although better than nothing.

So I bought one of those closed-foam camping mats - I know Walmart sell them in the US, and in the UK lots of army surplus and camping stores, as well as the ubiquitous Amazon and Ebay for a few pounds/dollars. Result? Can lie full-length on the floor in (relative) comfort and cleanliness now. True, I could get a bike lift, but its a lot more expensive!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If doing maintenance is an excuse for getting away from the wife, you can just put a camping bed next to the motorcycle lift :)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
As my mother once put it:
"Give a man a fish and you can feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend
Get him a shed or a garage and you can stretch to week nights too" :)

Those camping mats are great. Apart from insulating against the cold garage floor I use the for protecting components in transit and all kinds of things.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a tarp and throw a well used quilt over it. Not that I'm too cheap:rolleyes:, just had then laying around.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
How about a pair of 'work coveralls ?'
Also have a couple of dense foam pads that
I use as knee pads....sold as seat cushions
in the concessions stand at a high school
football game. Just the right size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a couple pairs of cheap coveralls from the thrift store that I use... when I remember
or bother to get them out.

But the best thing I found to use is big chunks of cardboard from big boxes. Sometimes
scavenged on trash day instead of letting it go to be recycled. It works pretty well. It offers
some cushioning and insulation from the cold hard concrete floor. It will absorb drips and
splashes of oil. (but not fast enough if you spill a lot... but will eventually) Multiple layers for
even more cushioning ability (No more sore knees!!) Fold it up and set it aside if it's not too
bad and can be used again later. Or just dispose of it when you are done.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use a folded Movers blanket.......cheap, comfortable, easily positioned, insulates you from the floor, absorbent, and easily replaceable.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The furniture blankets that UHaul rents
are made from recycled blue jeans...
the blankets that Harbor Freight sells cheap
are made from the same material.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I use those 1/2" thick interlocking, closed cell foam mats. Cheap on sale, they don't seem to absorb oil/dirt and you can wipe them down. Leave in the garage during the winter. I spread them around the bike or car and do my thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts