Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Comfort-Max Gel Sheepskin Pad

This one is cheaper than the Airhawk pad at cyclestuffusa.com. Both, however, are very pricey. I do want to get rid of the numb buns (and yet, keep riding) but I am a cheap0. Any recommendations for me, including "splurge on one of these babies," will be welcome.

I really am looking for a cheap way to make the longer rides more comfortable. Recommendations which have been ruled out for now, but perhaps not forever:
1. AN-650
2. Corbin seat

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

cheap0 said:
I really am looking for a cheap way to make the longer rides more comfortable. Recommendations which have been ruled out for now, but perhaps not forever:
1. AN-650
I don't ''believe'' the 650 has any better of a seat than the 400.

·
Registered
677 Posts

TheDarkCutlass said:
I don't ''believe'' the 650 has any better of a seat than the 400.
No, but it's probably more comfortable on longer rides. More weight, less vibration, bigger wheels.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Here's what I carry http://www.rei.com/product/723134. I keep it in the trunk and if I need it, I pull it out and strap it to the post for the seat rest and off I go. It takes very little air in it to provide a cushion that kind of "floats" your weight.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

cheap0 said:
This one is cheaper than the Airhawk pad at cyclestuffusa.com. Both, however, are very pricey. I do want to get rid of the numb buns (and yet, keep riding) but I am a cheap0. Any recommendations for me, including "splurge on one of these babies," will be welcome.
http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?pid=202 $124.99 which I price matched at http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp which has Satisfaction Guarantee: Returns accepted up to 90 days after purchase with no restocking fee for an exchange or a full refund.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just ordered the Ortho Deluxe with sheepskin cover, it looks like just what I needed as my tailbone is where the seat bothers me the most. Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of these before. After I get it and have a chance to try it out I'll report back with what I think of it.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Dennis, appreciate it if you will report after you have had a chance to put a few miles on the Ortho Deluxe as I find the stock seat very ununcomfortable and I am looking for a solution beside spending the money for a Corbin or Russell Day-Long.

thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got my Airhawk yesterday...love it! I just took my wife around the block a few times and let her ride on the Airhawk. She just had me buy her one as she says it totally takes away any tailbone pain she was feeling and eliminates some pain she was having in her hips.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I have a Saddlemen sheepskin gel pad on my 650. I had one (Spandex-type cover) for over 9 years and used it on several bikes and it really did the job for me. The cover was showing some wear so I bought the sheepskin-covered pad for a change.
http://www.saddlemen.com/gelpadsfirst.html The large fits the 650.

Don

·
Registered
265 Posts
Okay I promised a report after I got it, so here goes.

I ordered it on a Wednesday and got it the following Tuesday which just happened to be my 60th birthday.

First of all it's very thick, it adds about an inch and a half to two inches to the seat height, so if you're inseam challenged it probably wouldn't work, but for me i like the added height.

It fits the Burgmans (650) seat almost perfectly, it has a strap on each side with metal hooks that hook to the bottom edge of the seat pan, but they aren't really needed because of the Grippy bottom material, it doesn't slide around at all, the strap is held on with velcro, I just took the strap off, it makes it easier to take it off and stow it under the seat.

Now for the bad news I didn't find it any more comfortable than the stock seat or the Wal-mart cushion that I had been using, I had also tried using the wooden beads. For short rides it seemed fine, but last Sunday (August 31) I took a almost 300 mile test ride and after an hour my butt was hurting just like with all the other things I've tried.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
After much internet searching, I also ordered the Ortho Comfort Deluxe Sheepskin Pad and found Dennis M's report to be quite true. The measurements of this pad seemed to be closer to the size of the Burgman seat than anything else I could find. The pad is ¾ inch of gel with memory foam on top of it. The pad is enclosed in a zipper pouch that has a sheepskin top and a grippy bottom. The pad measures 18 inches wide at the back and tapers to 7 inches wide at the front with a front to back depth of 17 inches.

The width of the pad fits quite nicely at the back of the seat, however, it does not taper quickly enough so the overlap rubs on the inter thigh area as well as making it necessary to spread ones legs wider thus adding to the discomfort of the pad being so wide in the middle seat area. I thought about trimming the pad but this would result in the zippered pouch and sheepskin being larger than the pad. In reflection, the pad may have been more comfortable if it had been a little narrower than the Burgman seat rather than larger. I just received the pad yesterday and made a quick ten mile ride so the jury is still out, however, I don’t think it will be any more comfortable than the stock seat.

I did like the height of the pad as it raises me enough to be able to see over the top of my Clearview rather than through the top edge of the shield. Another plus is the extra height lets you stretch your legs out just a little farther. It is not for someone with a short inseam.

The pad is supposed to have memory foam so maybe it is going to be a case of just breaking it in so that it conforms better to my backside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts