Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these helmet mounted communicators? They are made and distributed in Canada. $180 US for the main unit and another $40 for the passenger headset. ($210 and $46 cdn) They allow for rider to passenger communications, cell phone input, music input and bike to bike communications. The only draw back to them that I can see is the bike to bike transmission is in the 900 MHz band. Neither FRS or CB will recieve transmissions from these devices. I was thinking on a set for my wife and I for rider to passenger communications and then for bike to car communications. The problem being what do I use in the car to receive the transmissions from this device? (other than spending another $180 for the car)

Every review I've managed to find on these is positive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
70 Posts
Arby, We use these on our snowmobiles and they are incredible. It is so nice to be able to talk when you're crusing across a field and warn someone of a danger or just to listen to music through the communicator. I bought the Passenger communicator also. I would recommend these. I did not get the club channel, so basically both channels are universal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mwolf for the feedback. The two universal channels broadcast in the 900 MHz band. Do you know of any other handheld devices that will recieve transmissions in this wave band?
I was thinking of jacking an MP3 player into the music input and keeping it in my jacket pocket. I think this should work fairly well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Arby, I have not had any luck finding any other radio that will either pick up the trasnmission from the Collett or another radio that the Collett can receive. I quess that is some what of a down fall, but on the other hand, with all of the FRS radios out there, this would just cause a lot of unwanted radio garble. I know while we were riding our snowmobiles, we would on occassion pick up some static, and in one instance we actually came across some other riders that had a different version of the Collett and of corse we picked them up just fine. I also know that we came across some riders with the ChatterBox units, but we could not communicate with them. It is possible to contact Collett and ask them out right if there are any and on what band the need to be on. I have not done this, we just played with the channels. Good luck. Again I know we enjoy them.

I think you will find the MP3 to work very well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any idea of these work with flip-front helmets?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bruce,

Shouldn't be a problem at all since they use a flexible boom mic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Collett's web site says their communicators will work on all types of helmets including the modular. As Bill said, the microphone is on a flexible tube that is designed to 'snake' in under the edge of a full face/modular helmet and be positioned in front of your mouth. The only difference is in the mounting of the transceiver on the helmet. With the modular helmet you mount the unit a little farther back so as to not interfer with the hinge action of the helmet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ride with both Full face and Open faced helmets. As Arby and bill mentioned, it is not a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts