·
Administrator
21,780 Posts
:thumbup: :D

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Record-Breaking Cold Sweeps Through California

Subfreezing temperatures in the Central Valley threatened to damage the billion-dollar crop Nighttime temperatures in the state’s citrus growing region fell to an average of 28 degrees

Seems that faster you guy's go the Colder you will Be.

Been keeping my speed down to 30 any faster and you just about freeze :x

warm up Gear helps, Stay warm Guys & Gals

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Went out for a ride today, thank goodness for heated grips,
My biggest issue was the back of my jacket rising, and getting a chill on the small of my back,

Any suggestions, ? I connected the trousers and jacket together with the zipper, didn't help much, tried tightening the base of the jacket, again no joy

Going out again tomorrow supposed to be high 40's

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You Can Try some Velcro Strips, there sale 2 to 20 inch or 1 feet rolls Or Velcro Adhesive Strips just Peel & Heal :D

Elliott,

·
Registered
183 Posts
MacDoc said:
next post likely be from tropical Australia for the second season.
We are heading up to 39 here in Melbourne Australia on Friday; that is 39C and it will be very hot. I rode from Canberra to Melbourne in 40C heat two days before Christmas. I was OK while riding but extremely hot when stopped for a break.

MacDoc - I will be riding my 650 up to Cairns and Port Douglas in a couple of weeks so I may see you up in FNQ when you are down under. It is a 3000km ride and I plan to do it over 6 days so as it is not too tiring. I will be taking the inland route through outback NSW and QLD as the coastal route is too busy at this time of year (summer holidays in Aus).

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Keep me posted - I'll be moving to Cairns permanently in a few years so good to have some contacts elsewhere. Will likely the bring the 650 Exec for touring and move to a lighter dual sport.
I've seen one Burgman 650 in the Cairns area - had a trailer on so might have been touring through.
I miss the comfort on long jaunts - 400 km or so on the KLR I'm about done....1,000 km on the Burgman - no problem.

I'm hoping with a better screen and seat this year for the KLR to at least have a 600 km range.

If you intend to do some of the paved backroads I have some decent knowledge and of course you must go up to the Daintree and Mila Mila area.

mind its the wet season

more pics of the area here

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m269 ... ia%202012/

·
Administrator
21,780 Posts
Got up at 4:45 AM, did the Military 3 S's tho I don't shave much off. :D Got geared up and hit the saddle at 5:30 AM and rode 60 mile up SNOQUALMIE PASS to watch the sunrise on a New Year. It was 24 F when I left, and at the SNOQUALMIE PASS LODGE it was 15 F. Trip was 48 miles up and 50 back. With thermal pants, full thermal underware, wool socks and my normal riding jacket and rain gear my main core was fine. The foot and hands got real cold even with the grip heaters. I added some boot and hand warmer packets at the top of the pass and that fixed that issue. GLORIOUS sunrise!!! :cheers:

·
I'm Retired
9,365 Posts
You should've called. That would've been fun.

Chris

·
Administrator
21,780 Posts
Spur of the moment thing. I was going to"Meet UP" with a small group for a ride this morning at 11:30 AM but the group grew to over 15 and the route was small back roads and I know how those Harley riders like to cruse. We would have been a rolling roadblock and I will not partake in that type of ride. Too many times a car/truck will pull out to pass the group going 45 MPH, get half way, find out they can not make it, then FORCE their way into the group at 60+ MPH.

·
Super Moderator
20,097 Posts
Old thread, but I couldn't resist.

Went for a short (15 minute) ride yesterday, it warmed up to 38 (f) with full sun. This morning it was 7(f). not going for a ride today, but it's at the ready next time it's above 40 with sun.

And yes, there was salt on the road, but my bike is 10 yrs old, and some claim it's worth nothing, so why not :wink:

I have always been a believer in "If it's too good to use, why own it" :D

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
It was 5 deg this morning SE of Columbus, and it's about 12 or so now (with wind chill). Sucks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Presently here it -30C or -22F, 125-150 mile more north it to be about -38C or -36F about, we get cold from Siberia for 7-8 day, nest 2-3 day be very very cold.

Good thing now, no moskito, no bug, no high humidity. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice and warm here.... 9 pm and its 55 outside.

The ride home was about 75. Its a tough life, in Lake Havasu City , Arizona :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Went to work yesterday with the bike have to ride 13 miles each way at Interstate, highway and city speed. At 1 pm temperature was 25*F with sunshine. Was nice. At 11:00 pm, time to back hone, it was 17*F. not so bad. I use the same equipment than if the temperature was in the 40's except one more jacket, always the same AGGAT ( mesh jacket, 3/4 helmet etc..). No electric stuff. Everything was stored inside the bike outside.

if you want cold, that' s f#[email protected] cold. Near my hometown in Quebec, Canada.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
cactuspwr said:
At 11:00 pm, time to back hone, it was 17*F.
I'm riding to/from work in similar conditions but, in the past month have seen a lot of temps between 0 and 5F on the way home. What gloves do you use and, are you happy with them?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You guys remind me of times that I rode in the early 1980's. Snowmobile suit, insulated boots, leather gloves with separate liner from the Army/Navy store and Hippo Hands worked well when the temps dropped to the teens. The Hippo hands were great at keeping the wind and cold from piercing my gloves.

Now I use my heated grips when the temps drop down to 50 degrees farenheit, although truth be told, I am using summer weight gloves. :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
cactuspwr said:
Went to work yesterday with the bike have to ride 13 miles each way at Interstate, highway and city speed. At 1 pm temperature was 25*F with sunshine. Was nice. At 11:00 pm, time to back hone, it was 17*F. not so bad. I use the same equipment than if the temperature was in the 40's except one more jacket, always the same AGGAT ( mesh jacket, 3/4 helmet etc..). No electric stuff. Everything was stored inside the bike outside.

if you want cold, that' s f#[email protected] cold. Near my hometown in Quebec, Canada.

Very good idea photo of thermometer, that is temperature in this area, me should have taken such photo, thank you for post photo here on BUSA, it to be colder tomorrow. Hydro Quebec break record today with supply of 38,900 Megawatt of power, it to be again more Megawatt than this tomorrow, good thing Quebec produce more power than this.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Hmmmmm.....nice snow-tread on that rear tire, Magnus. :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts