Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on my 1st long ride next weekend from South to North Florida. Never having gone that far in one day in the winter time I asked some riding buddys for suggestions. It seems my list was complete on what to bring and maitenance checks on my bike. They did make a suggestion that I thought was unique. They said go to Publix and get their plastic bags they use for bread and wear it on top of your socks in your boots. They said it really insolates and keeps your feet dry and warm. I'll try it. I'm planning on wearing long johns, an Eddie Bouwer down jacket under my leather coat and insolated winter gloves.

Any other suggestions from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Wearing rain gear on the outside of your riding gear helps a lot.

Air is trapped in the weave of the material on the riding gear. Like a wool shirt, it'll stay there and act to help keep you warm...if you can trap it in place. Put the rain gear over it and the riding gear will act as another warm layer for you.

A neck gaiter will help a lot also. You can pull it up over your nose if you're cold enough and stuff it over your ears. That one piece of gear helps me a lot to keep warm.

You'll want to look for any place that cold air can get inside to you. On a long ride, it isn't just uncomfortable, but dangerous. As you cool down, your judgement and reactions suffer.

Chris

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Cold must be relative... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm going to a mission trip meeting tonight. Temp on the way home should be 37F. Maybe he's got vision problems and switched the numbers? :lol:

Chris

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alexrider said:
Am I missing something? The temperatures will be 75+F from Miami to Tallahassee next weekend.
According to Accuweather the temp in St Augustine next weekend will be in the mid 55's at night and the early morning hours.
If you are used to 75 degree weather in South Florida 55 degrees riding at night can be very cold. We don't see any of that white stuff down here only snow birds this time of year.

It is nice to be able to ride all year long.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It was 46 degrees in SW Fla at 6am. Left the Burgman in the garage.
Heated seats in the SUV was nice and toasty.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
At 55 degrees all I would do is use windproof gloves and an insulated jacket under my summer mesh riding gear. I wouldn't opt for long johns until the temps get into the mid to low 40's. Below 50, I might opt for windproofing as Daboo suggests. Can make a huge difference in comfort. Problem with long johns is once they're on, you're stuck with them. Wearing them in 70 degree weather would kinda s**k. Flexibility is the key in FL. Choose stuff you can add or remove as needed. I tend to dress for the warmest temps I expect and carry extra stuff to augment if necessary.

The bread bag trick is simply a method to windproof your ankles. The rainsuit carries that concept to your whole body.

Last year if I saw the morning temps at 45 (like today) I would break out the winter suit and then regret it on the ride home when the temps hit the low 70's. So today, I dressed for the ride home and added a neck gaiter and insulated windbreaker under the mesh jacket for the ride in. I always carry 2 pairs of gloves (one mesh and one wind-/water-proof) as well as a rainsuit anyway.

·
Registered
842 Posts
HEY Man..Did you steal my gear...LoL
Chatman128 said:
At 55 degrees all I would do is use windproof gloves and an insulated jacket under my summer mesh riding gear. I wouldn't opt for long johns until the temps get into the mid to low 40's. Below 50, I might opt for windproofing as Daboo suggests. Can make a huge difference in comfort. Problem with long johns is once they're on, you're stuck with them. Wearing them in 70 degree weather would kinda s**k. Flexibility is the key in FL. Choose stuff you can add or remove as needed. I tend to dress for the warmest temps I expect and carry extra stuff to augment if necessary.

The bread bag trick is simply a method to windproof your ankles. The rainsuit carries that concept to your whole body.

Last year if I saw the morning temps at 45 (like today) I would break out the winter suit and then regret it on the ride home when the temps hit the low 70's. So today, I dressed for the ride home and added a neck gaiter and insulated windbreaker under the mesh jacket for the ride in. I always carry 2 pairs of gloves (one mesh and one wind-/water-proof) as well as a rainsuit anyway.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was wondering about the strange monograms in the cuffs. Figured it was a typo.

wayneman said:
HEY Man..Did you steal my gear...LoL
Chatman128 said:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
2 pair of wool socks from cabela's keep my feet warm unless its seriously cold, in which case i wear the boots i also got there.wool also keeps u warm even if wet - a very nice plus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts