Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
How cold is cold? My Burgman 650 stays out in all weather. No cracks or splits. Rain, snow and sun.
Ice Burg 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
We interrupt this thread to bring you an important message.....

Clean the garage Dave_J ?

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That pic makes me sad....I'm on the verge of reporting you to the ASPCS. (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Scooters)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I never seen a seat split like that before. Not sure what year your model is but it seems to be poor quality control. I don't know if Suzuki would assist you with the replacement. I think your options is maybe an upholsterer could fix it, buy a used seat on Ebay, Craigslist etc. or have the seat redone by Russell Day Long or Corbin. The last option is the most expensive. The cheapest option is Duct tape!

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
weather wouldn't cause localized damage. a needle and thread artfully applied should fix this, yup, upholsterer!

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
These seats are formed from 1 piece of thick vinyl laid over a seat mould and then heated in to shape. Those split seams are not real seams where the two pieces of material are put together. It is a hot melted decorative seam. By doing this melt to form the seams looks, it does weaken the material just at those points. If something will fail it will do it, most times, at the weakest link.
We had another member have sort of same issues last year. I was going to ship one of my spare seats to Las Vegas area but UPS wanted $300 for shipping.

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I didn't know that about factory seats. Makes sense that if they heated it a little too much it could get a thin spot.

When I shipped a seat recently, I found USPS to be much cheaper than UPS. Was still around $100 if I recall. Of course, depends on how far you're shipping among other things.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never seen a seat split like that before. Not sure what year your model is but it seems to be poor quality control. I don't know if Suzuki would assist you with the replacement. I think your options is maybe an upholsterer could fix it, buy a used seat on Ebay, Craigslist etc. or have the seat redone by Russell Day Long or Corbin. The last option is the most expensive. The cheapest option is Duct tape!
I considered perhaps vandalism but I also doubt it. This is a 2017 650 and last winter it was garaged. I have moved and now it stays outside but under a cover. Yes perhaps poor quality. If I have it re-upholstered, will I loose the heating system of the seat?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I considered perhaps vandalism but I also doubt it. This is a 2017 650 and last winter it was garaged. I have moved and now it stays outside but under a cover. Yes perhaps poor quality. If I have it re-upholstered, will I loose the heating system of the seat?
The upholstery shop should be able to re-skin it without messing with the heat. They will need to know it is heated so the fabric they use is heat safe.

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Further to this problem, I am planning on fixing it myself using vinyl and gluing this vinyl to the inside where the damage is and making sure the edges join up precisely on the outside. My question is, once I have removed all the staples, will the entire seat cover simply lift off from the underneath foam construction?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts