Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I was out in below freezing temps my skull got pretty cold , any ideas ? balaclava , Hot-Hands heat packs , ear muffs ?

Experience / suggestions appreciated .

TheReaper!

P.S. I refuse to set my head on fire :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't ride in cold weather (under 50*F) any more but I used the head stocking to good effect along with a very well fitting full helmet with shield. I'd look for a thin balaclava so you don't have too tight a fit. A long one will cover your neck.

Heavy gloves bought at the snow mobile counter helped as well. Some have the index finger separate and three fingers together. Never used those but they look like the index finger would slowly freeze by themselves. I've used hand warmers too. The newer ones last up to 6 hours and are quite warm.

I have some very heavy leather gloves lined with thinsulate or something very similar. They are good to 20* or so IIRC. I used them on a full dress Harley - those fairings did a good job of keeping the wind off your hands which help immensely. YMMV on a Burgman. You might consider a larger windshield for winter use if you ride a lot. I've seen some riders around here that use snowmobile suits - they look bulky but are very warm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the balaclava from CycleGear's Freeze-Out line for like $12 and it worked great. Of course we were only in the 30's, not below freezing as you are.

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Another option is a hooded sweatshirt. Pull the hood up over your head and then put your helmet on. Keeps your head warmer and cold air from going down your neck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another option is a hooded sweatshirt. Pull the hood up over your head and then put your helmet on. Keeps your head warmer and cold air from going down your neck.
+1 on the neck! I use a lightweight balaclava (did I spell that wrong???) that goes down over the neck and it makes a world of difference. I got one from Cycle Gear too, but have not tried it out yet. It's a little heavier than my old one. Point is, in cold weather, no matter how warm your head is, if your neck is exposed, you will be miserable.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I got the CycleGear balaclava too and it works great for me. Your glasses tend to fog if you're sitting still though.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If your helmet has vents in the rear that can not be closed, put a piece of foam in the inside holes to plug them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gerbings just came out with a heated balaclava. It has a 10 battery life. I guess you change batteries then. I rode to work the other day in 0 degrees at 60mph. I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner. I was not cold. I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Last time I was out in below freezing temps my skull got pretty cold , any ideas ? balaclava , Hot-Hands heat packs , ear muffs ?

Experience / suggestions appreciated .

TheReaper!

P.S. I refuse to set my head on fire :D
Grow your hair long and a beard like the guys on Duck Dynasty? :D

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I use the Hoodie as well.
If it is above freezing I just bunch it up behind the helmet to stop the neck draft and below freezing I put the hoodie over my head inside the helmet to keep the noggin warmer.

PS- I wear an armored Hoodie (also from CycleGear) so I can wear a winter parka over it and stay warm and protected.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heated balaclava

Gerbings just came out with a heated balaclava. It has a 10 battery life. I guess you change batteries then. I rode to work the other day in 0 degrees at 60mph. I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner. I was not cold. I LOVE IT!
It's a 7 volt rechargeable battery set up that heats the ears , they claim it last UP TO 10 hours .....what ever that means ?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Several new jackets have rain hoods built into their collars that should also work to keep out the cold. Check out the Olympia Ranger and Firstgear TPG jackets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Long sleeve shirt with hood works. Check your local Big 5 (or other sporting goods store) for thin balaclava and try it on for the right fit before buying it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have no idea how you can fit a hoody under your helmet? I use a thin balaclava and my helmet then fits real tight!

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
You don't want it to be a thick hoody for sure. Even with a thin one the fit is tight but after a few minutes you get use to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts