Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing a weird problem with my 650 :confused:

When my 2006 Burgman 650 Executive is cold the F1 (Dealer Mode C58) light comes on when I drive away. At that moment it has trouble with his first "gear". When I stop it decouples but when I drive off again it has trouble like it's in second gear. The other gears seem to work fine it seems.
Stopping and turning the engine off (with the key; all power off) and starting again solves the problem after 1-3 tries. Always in the first KM or two.

The dealer replaced the PPS, checked for dirt and water in the CVT but couldn't find a cause. They suggested to replace the Control Unit (just like the Service Manual suggests at this point).
I have paid €1,100 already and don't feel like throwing another €1,000 or more (unit costs €900 here!) at it so I bought a 2009 Executive Business Edition for €3.650.

However the problem keeps nagging at me because when the engine is warm after 1-2 KM the problem (code and symptoms) is completely gone.

Could the rising of the engine temperature fix the problem? Bad contacts then? Broken print that warms up and connects? But where?
Broken condensor? Broken wire? I would say if the CU was defective the problem wouldn't go away after 1-2 KM.

Please think with me, all tips are welcome.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Did they take the CVT apart and inspect the belt and functioning of the primary and secondary pulleys. I would be more inclined to think the code was being set by a slipping belt due to a foreign substance or pulley malfunction than an ECM problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they take the CVT apart and inspect the belt and functioning of the primary and secondary pulleys. I would be more inclined to think the code was being set by a slipping belt due to a foreign substance or pulley malfunction than an ECM problem.
Thanks for your reply.
They said they checked the belt and checked for water and dirt in the CVT. Maybe they only checked the filter though. I wasn't there but it took them 3 weeks solving nothing (it's even worse now).

But if these parts are the problem howcome the problem is gone after 1-2 KM every time?
Every time the engine is completely cold the problem is back.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Well as a for instance, if the secondary pulley were sticking a little and not responding to the changes of the primary pulley you might get the code. However the sticking might cure it's self when the assembly warmed up and the lube softened a little.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Wiring I would suspect first followed by internal CVT and last/least likely powertrain controller.

It's possible what you have is a intermittent wiring short like on the '06 I bought. While my short caused the bike to go into dealer mode after being on the center stand just like I had switched it into. It would seem that the place where the harness rubbed through was a problem because I think it was in '09 they added a protective tape where mine shorted. It's the upper engine mount left side right where the step through section is. All the wires to the CVT/center stand/etc run there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys.
It's not easy solving these kind of problems but i'll sort it out eventually (or not).
At lease I have another, newer, one now so that gives me more options.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I would say you could swap the ECM from your 09 into the 06 to see if that cures the problem but the throttle body change between 06 and 07 means the ECM from the 09 will have different programming than the 06.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say you could swap the ECM from your 09 into the 06 to see if that cures the problem but the throttle body change between 06 and 07 means the ECM from the 09 will have different programming than the 06.
That's a good idea.
Is that fairly easy to do? It's behind the dashboard right?

It has been dry weather all day and this afternoon the problem didn't occure. I think more and more it's a humidity related problem.
I'll give it some more time. Since it only gives me some trouble the first km I can live with it for a short while.
Next week I get my 2009 Burgy which I first want to give a good cleaning and lube job.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Swapping them out is fairly easy. Just remove the rubber strap that holds the ECM in place and undo the plugs then slide it out of the holder. You do have to take off some body work to gain access to it though.

You will have to find someone with an 05 or 06 that is willing to let you try their ECM though. The 05 and 06 bikes share a common part number for the ECM.

The 07,08 and 09 share a common part number but it is different than the one for the 05 and 06. You cannot use the 09 ECM in the 06 bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts