Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my Burg today and noticed a weird spot on my WS. It looked like a thin film of something. I washed it and it came off but when drying I found that it wasn't just a spot. Where I washed it it is clear but on the edges it is hazy. It has the look of clear coat when it starts oxidizing and flaking off. Does anybody know if Suzuki put a clear coat on the WS?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I believe so. Both of my bikes have a film that has flaked off over time. Various washings and cleaners have left them both spotted and unsightly. They still work just fine, so I haven't tried to replace them. But be careful, cintinued scrubbing will flake off more of it.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If your screen is polycarbonate it will probably have a silane coating for UV protection.

Some have optic and scratch resistant coatings too.
Solvents and abrasive in polishes/cleaners are very bad for polycarbonate, (ammonia isn't good)

If you break through the coating it can cause pitting and erosion, discolouring and brittleness over a period of years, especially if exposed to sunlight.

Acrylic is better optically and less prone to scratching but can shatter and not so good to hit in a crash

Don't use Xerapol for refurbishing polycarbonate, its for cleaning acrylic/Perspex. It has a small amount of solvent as well as abrasives so it can redistribute some of the material and fill the valleys as well as smooth the high points.

Novus No. 1 is for polycarbonate

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can say for sure that the New Mexico sun will cause the coating to flake off in one year! Before I bought it it lived in a garage and only had 500 or so miles on the clock. Almost exactly one year later of being ridden almost everyday and being parked outside and half the screen's coating is now gone.

Anybody know just what kind of plastic Suzuki uses for their windshields?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It is probably Iupilon polycarbonate from Mitsubishi Engineering Plastics
Have a look around the screen and it will say on it and give a safety spec/certificate number.

Most likely it will say "Iupilon AS 6&7 M-1040M DOT 293"

Same as Honda etc use ( you often see this code quoted as a part number, it isn't)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I washed my Burg today and noticed a weird spot on my WS. It looked like a thin film of something. I washed it and it came off but when drying I found that it wasn't just a spot. Where I washed it it is clear but on the edges it is hazy. It has the look of clear coat when it starts oxidizing and flaking off. Does anybody know if Suzuki put a clear coat on the WS?
Noticed this on mine too...
may try some Turtle Wax....
at least, the bugs won't stick as bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts