Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house is on a fairly steep hill in a development. One of the frustrating things about the Burgie’s transmission is that you cannot just coast down the hill when first starting out. I would do that regularly with my previous cycles in warm weather just to give the engine an additional few moments to warm up, sometimes even jump starting it to “save” the starter motor and battery.

When you try coasting on the Burgman, the clutch always engages around 14 mph with somewhat of a “jerk” as the engine revs are pulled up by the tranny. 14 mph seems way too slow for the conditions and I’m constantly checking mirrors to be sure I’m not blocking anybody behind me.

Well, today, I tried coasting down the hill in POWER mode. It will get up to at least 24 mph before the clutch engages which is an acceptable speed for my purposes.

If anybody else is in the same situation out there, give it a try.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you tried manual mode in OD?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've not experimented too much with the manual shift function.
Will the upshift to OD be allowed at such a slow speed, or does the computer limit that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe it will but the sure way to find out is to try it. I don't have any such hills to try it on unless I go for a long ride. I also do think that when you come to a stop the computer will override what gear you have it in and will force it down to 1 (low) gear so you'' have to either go back to automatic or plan on manually increasing the gear when you then begin to roll again.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Point that bad boy down hill, rev it up, and rock-bump it off the center stand so that you can CATAPULT down that road!!!! :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
If you just want to coast, try bringing the bike to a stop, then let it coast, but do not hit the gas. The clutch shouldn't engage, as it is centrifigle (sp), driven off the engine. The problem is if you do give it gas, and the clutch engages, it slows the bike down very fast and puts you to the handlebars. I put mine in power mode going down steep inclines so I can use the engine braking and not get the run away coast down the hill.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brewman said:
I've not experimented too much with the manual shift function.
Will the upshift to OD be allowed at such a slow speed, or does the computer limit that?
You can upshift into gears that aren't "optimum" to a point, but if you try to upshift such that the engine RPM would be less than 1,000 then the gear indicator will just flash a few times and the tranny won't shift.

·
Registered
449 Posts
IronRanger said:
If you just want to coast, try bringing the bike to a stop, then let it coast, but do not hit the gas. The clutch shouldn't engage, as it is centrifigle (sp), driven off the engine. The problem is if you do give it gas, and the clutch engages, it slows the bike down very fast and puts you to the handlebars. I put mine in power mode going down steep inclines so I can use the engine braking and not get the run away coast down the hill.
The clutch will engage (not quite unexpectedly) in the annoying manner you described even if you don't give it gas. I was splititng lanes (San Diego) the first time this happened. Now I go down that hill with the throttle in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts