Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I rode to work as I do every day, about a 15 min ride. I got out of work and the bike would not start. The starter ran, but gave an FI error and the FI light flashed on and off. There was also no smell of gas. I tried Ledude's handy wire trick to get a 'C' code from the ECM, but through reading the service manual I discovered that if the FI light is blinking then there will be no codes to retrieve. Further reading led me to believe it was one of 5 or 6 sensors that if the ECM does not sense then it shuts off the fuel.

So I bought myself a new meter and had planned to start checking voltages and continuity. I started with the ECM as it was a sensor I could see when the maintenance (side) hatch was open (Burgman 650 2013). I proceeded to wrestle with those nasty squeeze-pull connectors in the cramped space just forward of the radiator bottle, as I was squeezing, wiggling and pulling, one of the wires (the brown one) broke from the connector.

I thought to myself, "that was too easy", I tugged on the other one a bit and it was solid. I knew I would need to disassemble the plug and re-solder the broken wire, I decided to just cut the other (I first marked the plug casing so I would know which hole the brown wire goes to) fast forward...

With the wires re-soldered and the plug reassembled I plugged it in and the bike started on the first try! The roads in the Boston area are AWFUL, and it seems impossible to ride without hitting all kinds of severe road imperfections and potholes, I had beed concerned as my Tupperware is suffering in fitting and so are my knees.

When I first looked at the CMP sensor, I noticed that the wires leading to it were very taught - strained even, almost no play in the wiring harness to provide any relief, even after repairing the connector they are still taught. I think I may add some extra slack wire to them this weekend and inspect the rest of the sensor connections for strain.

The moral of the story is.. If you have a 2013 650 and hit lots of bumps, inspect your CMP sensor wires for strain, if they are about to go, they will when you tug on them, so use care. See if you can relieve the strain by carefully pulling down and wiggling the harness. Consider cutting and extending the wires to prevent a sudden loss of love when you are far from home.

Oh, also something else that's either good or bad is that if the continuity fails while you are riding (like mine did), you won't know it till you turn off the bike and then try to start it again. The CMP sensor monitors the rotation of the cam and if it's turning it tells the ECM that it is ok to activate the fuel pump. This how the bike knows to stop pumping fuel (among other things) when you turn off the bike.

I hope that by writing this I have saved someone's bacon!

Happy scooting!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Personally I don't like the taught wiring thing , I would show that to the dealer before some thing else goes wrong and while it's still under warranty .

TheReaper!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts