Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the help of everyone here, I've gotten the sliders working very nicely. And, I'm thinking about toying around with the clutch now. It seems the bike gets to 4000 rpm when I'm taking off and it lifts a bit off the line. Not enjoying that too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do to the stock clutch to get rid of this? It used to lock up and get going at 3000 or so. I know I have plenty of pad left on there. I'm just not sure if it's glazed over or what. Don't know how to tell either. I tried looking into the hit clutch, but can't find it for the 03-06. Thanks for the continued support.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pull off the clutch bell check the bell inside to see if it is smooth and not gouged, deglaze the clutches with fine sandpaper, clean out all of the black from dirt and belt
dust
I would also pull off the cvt and clean sliders or rollers and clean up that area.
Make sure cvt is smooth. look on you tube on how to do the cvt removal and clutch.
you tube has lots of fixes for clutch and cvt plus belt specks, if you need a clutch look at Dr. Pulley's on net they sell a hit clutch plus rollers and or sliders.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been inside there many times lately. What does ruffing the pads up do? Will they grab the bell more? Is there a way to make it engage at a lower rpm? I've tried to find the bit clutch, and can't seem to find anyone what has it for the 03-06. Only the 07+.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
What does ruffing the pads up do? Will they grab the bell more? Is there a way to make it engage at a lower rpm?
It will reduce slippage, and so yes, grab the bell tighter. I believe with glazed shoes slippage does occur not only at starts-off but during the ride also.

You can of course change the clutch spring weight to a smaller value and thus make it engage at lower rpm, but there's some minimum point below which the shudder develops, due to lack of momentum for the given load. With the HiT you can also play with the pillow springs to tune up the secondary clasp.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The RPM that is displayed is the engine RPM. If it used to engage at a lower RPM then either: 1) you went to DPS and used lighter weights (18gm vs the stock 19gm) or 2) your clutch springs have gotten stronger for some unknown reason or 3) your v-belt is wearing or 4) your variator/driven plates are wearing. Glazed shoes are not going to change the point at which your clutch engages. They may affect your overall experience once the clutch engages (shudder and squeal).

On my 2011, the clutch engages at around 4K, does the little hesitate delay, runs up to 5K and takes off. This is with 20gm DPS. When my variator and v-belt were significantly worn I would hit 5.8K on takeoff. It was spritely but not very good on MPG.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it fully engages at to low revs you will likely get shuddering due to you feeling the firing pulses from the engine.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It used to engage at 3000 rpm with the old belt and 20 gram sliders. I have 19 gram sliders and a new belt on now. Why it all changed is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
if the shoes are glazed you may feel an abrupt jolt when clutch is finally engaged and it also happens at higher rpm. I had an engagement around 5500 after highway ride and much lower when cold. My .02 is that either the clutch or the bell needs service.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I don't feel that jolt. Is there a way to play with the springs on the oem clutch to make it engage faster?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was very helpful. Thank you. Now, what parts of that are just for the 07+? I'm not sure about the cooling with the air filter. I need to get a new one anyway because it wasn't put on quite right by the first owner and got a bit messes up. Still on there though. The springs are what I want to replace. Does anyone have the exact size spring I would need? I would take it apart and measure myself, but it's my daily driver.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Hope '06 owners will chime in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On a related note, I just replaced the belt and rollers (both OEM) on my '06 400 and pulled the clutch off to check it. The pads were worn to the point of the outer metal edge of the clutch shoes being scuffed. The strange part is, the bell itself doesn't appear to be scuffed. It seems very shiny and smooth. I've purchased a new aftermarket clutch, and I'm wondering if I should (slightly) "rough up" the inside of the clutch bell before re-installing the clutch. I haven't seen any posts mentioning it. Has anyone tried or heard of this on a centrifugal type clutch?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If the bell touch surface is mirror polished, it needs roughening but only gently. I would recommend medium to fine grain size. The surface should not reflect images, but no more than that. There are such posts on the site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts