Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an 05 400 for the past several years and just picked up a K11 and I am happy with the changes and the performance of the bike with one exception, being the clutch, which feels completely different from the 05. Under heavy acceleration from standing start it feel like it is slipping up to about 10 MPH and then it grabs. It also does not release from the drive line until the bike slows to about the same speed which would be a plus for mountain riding. I also feel like it could be slipping at lower cursing speed, But the previous owner had a GIVI windshield installed and I am not sure if it from unstable air on the windshield. Does anyone have any information on any similar clutch performace.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are lots and lots of posts on the site on this topic...I don't mean to say you shouldn'y ask again, I just point it out to alert you too dig on this site more and you will find lots of useful info on the topic.

My first thought is perhaps the clutch is glazed, that is a known issue. It sometimes squeels if this is the issue, but can make for slow pickup up under load and perhaps slippage. We will grind a little surface on the face of the clutch pads to rough it up, and grind down slightly the leading edge of each pad. Dont think this is necessary but merely a remedy for glazing and a performance measure you can take.

A more common thing ppl will suggest, and I have done, is break torque and burn the clutch a little to deglaze it. I have had limited success with this. If it was me I would pull the cover off of the clutch to see if it looks really glazed now, before I did much.

There are certainly other things that could be causing the issue besides the clutch, not the least of which is the difference in the clutch itself and characterisitics of the newer bike. (5 versus 3 pads). Spend some time learning and getting used to the new bike before you settle in on opinions if you can, I was quick to point out differences in my 08-400 and 13-400. These two bikes are not near as different as your 05-400 and 11-400.

Congrats on the new bike in any event.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
how many miles on it? have you opened it up to check for dust in rollers ? where are you? do you have any refreshing beverages?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are lots and lots of posts on the site on this topic...I don't mean to say you shouldn'y ask again, I just point it out to alert you too dig on this site more and you will find lots of useful info on the topic.

My first thought is perhaps the clutch is glazed, that is a known issue. It sometimes squeels if this is the issue, but can make for slow pickup up under load and perhaps slippage. We will grind a little surface on the face of the clutch pads to rough it up, and grind down slightly the leading edge of each pad. Dont think this is necessary but merely a remedy for glazing and a performance measure you can take.

A more common thing ppl will suggest, and I have done, is break torque and burn the clutch a little to deglaze it. I have had limited success with this. If it was me I would pull the cover off of the clutch to see if it looks really glazed now, before I did much.

There are certainly other things that could be causing the issue besides the clutch, not the least of which is the difference in the clutch itself and characterisitics of the newer bike. (5 versus 3 pads). Spend some time learning and getting used to the new bike before you settle in on opinions if you can, I was quick to point out differences in my 08-400 and 13-400. These two bikes are not near as different as your 05-400 and 11-400.

Congrats on the new bike in any event.

Thank you for our comments.

I was concerned that it could simply be my unfamiliarity with the 4 verses 3 pads which is why I asked. The bike only has 1,700 miles on it and I have no reason to suspect any rough treatment by previous owner. I guess the only way to know for sure is to pull the cover and inspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts