Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VERY FIRST POST

thanks for being here you guys, i need a question answered. just bought a 07 400 yeserday and after joining the forum,i searched "clutch shudder" and got all kinds of info but im still learning the site and havent found what the actual fix is supposed to be.

i called my local dealer and they told me that there isnt a recall on this issue for my Vin number and i felt all they wanted to do is get an appointment and get 95 bucks to check it out....since i do the same job at a GMC/Buick dealer, i know the drill.

im likely capable of doing the work myself as im very familiar with scooters CVT's ( just a tad smaller though)

would love to get a pointer on whats wrongt, which parts do i need and best place to buy

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Not a problem----just run the engine up against the brakes for 10 seconds...then goes away, may glazebe on shoes of rear clutch----happens to me whether bike or ridden hard or easy----just part of design----Honda SilverWing 600's do it, too. I have had both SilverWing and 2 Burgman 400's from new. Just ride and change belt/roller(slider) with OEM at Suzuki recommend intervals.. Don't worry in now near 250,000 miles on rrubber band drive scooter=only one broken belt.
 

·
I'm Retired
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but from reading through countless posts on the shudder and having two of my own that haven't squealed, here are some thoughts on the subject.

First, prevent the shudder and whine from occurring by blipping the throttle to 4000 rpms when starting from a dead stop. The pads engage through centrifugal force. More rpms, equals more force. You don't want them to slip too much, or they overheat like you're finding.

To get rid of what you currently have, try what John Grinsel wrote. If it doesn't work, open up the CVT case and remove the clutch bell. Take some sandpaper to the glazed clutch pads and remove the glaze. Reassemble and try again. The shudder and squeal should be gone.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chet_Benson said:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5FA8ED8FCA1FE85C&feature=mh_lolz

thanks for the youtube videos, was there one of those specifiacally you were referring too ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daboo said:
I'm not an engineer, but from reading through countless posts on the shudder and having two of my own that haven't squealed, here are some thoughts on the subject.

First, prevent the shudder and whine from occurring by blipping the throttle to 4000 rpms when starting from a dead stop. The pads engage through centrifugal force. More rpms, equals more force. You don't want them to slip too much, or they overheat like you're finding.

To get rid of what you currently have, try what John Grinsel wrote. If it doesn't work, open up the CVT case and remove the clutch bell. Take some sandpaper to the glazed clutch pads and remove the glaze. Reassemble and try again. The shudder and squeal should be gone.

Chris

thanks Daboo, that sounds like the a good plan !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
john grinsel said:
Not a problem----just run the engine up against the brakes for 10 seconds...then goes away, may glazebe on shoes of rear clutch----happens to me whether bike or ridden hard or easy----just part of design----Honda SilverWing 600's do it, too. I have had both SilverWing and 2 Burgman 400's from new. Just ride and change belt/roller(slider) with OEM at Suzuki recommend intervals.. Don't worry in now near 250,000 miles on rrubber band drive scooter=only one broken belt.

thanks a bunch John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
GLAZED CLUTCH PADS.........sounds right on!!!!!!!!! I had that with a new 400 when breaking it in..and trying to follow factory guide......!! WRONG!!!! I took apart the CVT and deglazed the clutch pads..............NO MORE SHUDDER OR SQUEAL..........NOW! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
john grinsel said:
Not a problem----just run the engine up against the brakes for 10 seconds...then goes away, may glazebe on shoes of rear clutch----happens to me whether bike or ridden hard or easy----just part of design----Honda SilverWing 600's do it, too. I have had both SilverWing and 2 Burgman 400's from new. Just ride and change belt/roller(slider) with OEM at Suzuki recommend intervals.. Don't worry in now near 250,000 miles on rrubber band drive scooter=only one broken belt.
When holding the brakes and revving engine for 10 seconds, what RPM's do you recommend to hold at during that time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a quick update...called the local zuki dealership where i have purchased 2 rides from them in the past but not this burgman. they ordered a new cluch assembly for me and are going to replace it under warranty for that recall that is on them. woohoo ! the parts arrived the other day and i just dropped the burg off today so they can do the work on Tuesday....NO CHARGE to me is a very good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
nitrogary said:
just a quick update...called the local zuki dealership where i have purchased 2 rides from them in the past but not this burgman. they ordered a new cluch assembly for me and are going to replace it under warranty for that recall that is on them. woohoo ! the parts arrived the other day and i just dropped the burg off today so they can do the work on Tuesday....NO CHARGE to me is a very good deal.
nitrogary.........!!!!! When you get the scoot back from the dealer with the new clutch assembly - Folloe Daboo's suggestion about "blipping" the RPM to about 4,00 when starting out from a standing start!! By doing that - the clutch will fully engage against the bell..........immediately!! When I first got my new scoot - I TRIED following the factory break-in instructions and ended up with glazed clutch pads and a squeal that sounded like i was trying to kill a pig...''SQUEALING". :thumbup: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
v8eyedoc said:
nitrogary said:
just a quick update...called the local zuki dealership where i have purchased 2 rides from them in the past but not this burgman. they ordered a new cluch assembly for me and are going to replace it under warranty for that recall that is on them. woohoo ! the parts arrived the other day and i just dropped the burg off today so they can do the work on Tuesday....NO CHARGE to me is a very good deal.
nitrogary.........!!!!! When you get the scoot back from the dealer with the new clutch assembly - Folloe Daboo's suggestion about "blipping" the RPM to about 4,00 when starting out from a standing start!! By doing that - the clutch will fully engage against the bell..........immediately!! When I first got my new scoot - I TRIED following the factory break-in instructions and ended up with glazed clutch pads and a squeal that sounded like i was trying to kill a pig...''SQUEALING". :thumbup: :lol:
GOTCHA !
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top