Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have posted this situation before. I love 2009 AN400, but hate the fact that I need to hit 3,500 RPM before the clutch engages and starts to move. I have 10k on the 400.

I heard I can change the clutch shoe springs to a weaker one. This will engage the clutch sooner.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
298 Posts
weaker ones will engage the clutch sooner, but is that what you really want? It will lug the engine running outside of the power band causing slower acceleration and could be harder on the drivetrain.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I agree with andyman7931. You're asking to make the bike perform outside of what it is designed for. If you can find clutch springs to do what you want, you may not like the performance you end up with.

One alternative you may wish to pursue, is a HiT clutch. It's a costly alternative though. I find it locks the clutch up around 2800 rpms and there's no lag in acceleration when I twist the throttle. It's expensive though, and no guarantee you'll be happy with it. I have the older model. joes4570 let me try his newer model to see if I could get it to work properly. I changed springs in it, thinking that would make a difference. I lightly roughed up the clutch pads to see if that would help. The effect he was getting was a slipping and grabbing on acceleration....kind of a jerky motion. I've sent it to Buggy Parts NW and they along with Paul Wu from Union Materials are working with joes4570 for a solution now. So I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances. It may be the answer you're looking for though.

Alternatively, buy one of those cruisers with car engines bolted on. You can move forward at idle with that many ccs. You'll also bake yourself on the engine heat, but that's to be expected if you sit on a car engine. And you'll get car gas mileage, or worse. ;) :) But you can engage the clutch at 1500 rpms or so.

Chris

·
Registered
828 Posts
It was just a matter of a click and another post with same title hits the site, so is there a way to buy those springs online?
im looking to be the first one to test this if no one have done it before, so instead of buying Hit clutch it will be a cheap modification that will reduce clutch slippage and could make you feel better when moving at lower RPMs. I'm looking for quiet ride and MPG+, which mean better touring experience to me.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Not Sure!! But there are White,Red,Yellow,Green,Blue.. The one's i use are the White ones, Malossi sales them in all Colors...

Elliott,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Stop trying to make it something it is not, give it some throttle and go and save your money on weird doo dads that don't work as well or as long as sotck.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The thing is when you ride more than one bike, you will love something in one of them that is not available in the other.
My majesty do not require efforts on throttle to make it move, i little bit throttle and it will take off and keep speeding up due to the CVT shifting.
Suzuki require a wrist twisting to do the same thing with it.
I have disassembled the CVT to replace the springs, but i couldn't find any springs in local stores with same shapes, so i just polished the rollers groves in the variator and sanded the clutch shoes and bell, also i have replaced the bearing that hold the driven pulley shaft into the CVT case.
I searched for malossi clutch shoes springs but non of them have some guide specifications to make sure it will fit my clutch.
If i can buy the springs online, i will do the job again without hesitation, because i have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think you will be very disappointed with fitting less powerful clutch springs. One of the bikes I look after has them. It lugs away from standstill and is very slow. It vibrates a lot as it moves off. The Burgman engine is just not set up to perform like that and it does hammer the belt. It's meant to rev freely to 4k or above to take off. It does no harm and is not the cause of clutch judder as many think. Poor or missing clutch maintenance is the cause of any judder.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I say try it. If it doesn't work out, then putting it back to the old is such a simple procedure that doesn't really harm anything if it doesn't work out to your liking. Tinkering is good for your soul!:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi, I understand you wanting a more relaxed start but why not just fit heavier rollers to the variator and leave the clutch springs as they are?

The heavier rollers will ensure the variator pulley will change the belt drive ratio earlier and will in turn give you an earlier clutch engagement. Because the heavier rollers will increase the variator pulley effective diameter for a given engine rpm, that in turn will spin the clutch unit on the driven pulley faster and result in the clutch engaging at lower engine revs. Far easier than changing springs. :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hello Gio!! it's already have 33g rollers the heavier one available, I'm looking to replace them with 25g dr pulley sliders 24x18mm.
mine is different, it has 6 rollers not 8.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When you say its only got six rollers are you saying it has not space for the other two ? I assumed it was a standard Suzuki variator with space for 8

1 - 16 of 16 Posts