Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a number of posts about replacing the clutch on the 400 at 15,000 miles. There is nothing in the owner's manual about that - and 15,000 miles does not seem like a very long time for a clutch to wear out.

I ride my bike to and from work, with maybe half of that traveling through stops signs and traffic lights and the other half on divided highway with a 55 mph speed limit. I take the occasional day trip on it. Though I have the usual "Burgman Squeal," I have gotten used to it in the year since I've owned my 400.

Can anybody point 1o 15,000 as a regular maintenance requirement or have a bunch of you had failures of your clutch at or a little past 15,000? I have about 15,500 miles on mine (of which I have put 9,300 on it since I bought it about a year ago) and I know I will need to replace the drive belt the next time I change the oil at 20,000. Should I just go ahead and plan on a new clutch too?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
look at the clutch pads, the amount of wear determines when you need to change them , just like brake shoes., I had 20,000 on my 08 400 clutch and it looked nearly new before the pig ate it , belt was still well within limits at that point too

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
A buddy had 40,000 miles on his before needing to change the clutch. All depends I guess on how much stop start work you do and how loaded up your are. Replacement clutch seems a very easy job to do though. Not too expensive either. :cheers:

Re the squeal...why not clean out the clutch bell housing and deglaze the shoes next time you do a service. Or ask your dealer to do it. It cures the problem. My dealer does it every other service to make sure there is no squeal. It's a very quick and easy job and should be part of the service schedule in my mind.

·
I'm Retired
9,377 Posts
+1 on the preventative maintenance. The squeal is most likely caused by slow acceleration, like you'd get if following the break-in instructions. Deglazing the pads and applying the throttle a bit more briskly will keep it from coming back. Taking it apart and doing the preventative maintenance every other oil change is simple to do. Since you're in the same area to change the final drive oil, it is only a few more minutes of work.

My OEM clutch last 33,500 miles till I started getting a metal to metal sound. While most of my riding is on the freeway, there are many times when the freeway turns into a parking lot and I was just crawling along, barely moving. That had to add a lot of wear to my clutch.

I'd buy the belt to have on hand at 15,000 miles and then change it only when needed. As for the clutch, I'd just keep an eye on the clutch pads. Chances are you won't need to change it for another 15,000 miles.

Chris

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How to check the Clutch Shoe Pads without remove the Clutch Bell
[youtube:1nr9mvfh]JNYsSdWp7ug[/youtube:1nr9mvfh]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
your welcome!

I am going to make a new video to show the wear / miles on variators, dr pulley sliders, belt, and clutch shoes soon

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Don't wait to long to Replace your Worn out Shoes , it could cost lots of Money and Clutch Replacement , you won't even Notice that your riding Metal to Metal, it rides like Normal. :lol:

Gary L,

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hammer said:
Mitch, I see that you had the belt off the pulley. That's not necessary is it? Thanks for the vid. :thumbup:
oh no, don't worry about the part with belt... I was doing other things... no need to remove the belt or anything to check the shoes with a little mirror... just CVT cover to remove

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Mine lasted to 37,500 but I do very little stop & go riding. CVT belt went 27,500 but just, could have left me :walk: at any time. :wink:

·
Registered
282 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
look at the clutch pads, the amount of wear determines when you need to change them , just like brake shoes., I had 20,000 on my 08 400 clutch and it looked nearly new before the pig ate it , belt was still well within limits at that point too
So it was the pig who did the squealing while eating your clutch LOLhehehehe

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 32,000 miles on mine with no clutch problems yet. You should inspect it when changing the belt at about 14,500 miles. It is just like a drum brake; if you have plenty of thickness on the friction pads you are good to go. You might want to spray some brake cleaner on the drums and pads. If you have an air compressor it would be good to blow it out also.
CAUTION: Do not get brake cleaner on paint or dye; it is an effective pain remover.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
i here ya Bro, De greasers, etc, etc, there a pain every where even the Breaks Disc, best thing to use on the Belt is Alcohol , Lacquer works well, when cleaning Belt & Clutch Surfaces. any thing that evaporates is real good.

Gary L,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts