Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2012 400 has about 9500 miles on it.

I have been doing all the maintenance frequently, especially when it comes to the variator, belt, and clutch items.

My last clutch de-glazing was at 6000 miles, and other than the accumulated dust and sanding of the clutch shoes, there have been no issues. being winter, my riding has only been about once a week. On the past 2-3 rides, I noticed that the clutch juddering was starting to come back along with a slightly "metallic" sound, which would only last for about a second or two.

Today I stripped everything down to take a look and this what I found. All 5 shoes were this way and the clutch bell was scored. I searched the entire inside of the case inside and out with a fine-tooth comb and absolutely cannot find any metalllic fragments anywhere else. Nor can I locate any damaged or chipped metal anywhere. The fragments were easily picked out with a small sharp pick and the others literally fell out when I sanded the shoes with 80 grit paper.

I doubt the shoes are manufactured with metal particles in them, as I recall many, many years ago that some brake shoes were done in this manner. Any idea what may happened here, is there somewhere else I should be looking for a problem, or most importantly, can I or should I so ahead and put everything and hope for the best?

·
Registered
341 Posts
That looks pretty bad. Mine looks sort of like that but not as bad. I have an '08.
That complete clutch will need replacing soon - I think...

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Interesting and a bit weird - metal damage to the bell hosuing and embeeded in the shoes?

I do not have an EDUCATED opinion being a new Burgman 400 owner (bought used one with 5100 miles in Dec of 2013 and have 8200 miles on it). I would probably UNEDUCATED put it back together and run it -- but maybe worry about bearings or something.

I did take the CVT cover off at 5500 miles or so, just to ahve a look. I did not take the bell housing off (only used a mirror to look at the clutch shoes thickness).

I am beginning to think Scooters leave a lot to be desired in terms of transmissions compared to a MC. My Burgman 650 is out of commission (CVT I guess as the Clutch looks OK - disasmebled that and posted on here).

But, I had 73800 miles of maintermnace free as far as the CVT was concerend before the breakdown. Had one other major breakdown (Regulator blew all lights and the ECM 12 V input -- I was able to fix that).

All I know is -- I have never had any problems with my MCs (at 71000, 87000, and 44000 miles on three different ones).

But, I like riding the Scooters.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
A grain from emery paper might have caught hold of a shoe or just left in the bell area after last maintenance and did the damage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked at everything within the entire case including the variator and DPS's. Nothing else shows any signs of the metal anywhere - all of it was strictly within the bell and on the shoes. I thought there might have been something within the clutch assembly itself that I could not see from the outside, but nothing sticks out as unusual. Once engaged, there is no power loss or slipping or noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
AROTH, that damage is a result of a foreign object intruding into the bell as you rightly say. But that's very rare indeed and virtually impossible in everyday use. I would be looking again within the whole transmission area for maybe a piece of broken variator fin (just a tiny piece could do it) or a piece of stone/granite or other debris. Are the transmission cooling filter, frame and bolts still fully intact? No holes in the filter...look carefully. Has anything however small come away from it? Other than that, it's difficult to say where it has come from. I once saw similar on a 400 last year where the owner had unwittingly introduced a foreign object into the transmission case during maintenance but it took sometime to cause a problem. We believe is was a tiny self tapping screw that had dropped into the bottom of the casing which then had found it's way into the bell but there was nothing left of it to make a definitive analysis. The shoes will be fine. Just sand down a little to make sure they are smooth. The bell will be fine too but of course will wear the shoes a little differently and may result in the need to replace the clutch a bit sooner than normal. Sand it carefully before use.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's what i was thinking too. After sanding the shoes a crystal could come off the paper and it's harder than metals. However if OP is sure it was a metal object, then your guess is good as mine.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mine was similar at about the same miles, it looked
better the last time I looked, not in the slightest concerned,
it did look like it was something that had been embedded in
the lining at manufacture, strange but it does not seem to
effect the clutch it is working better than new at 18,000 miles ish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
A grain from emery paper might have caught hold of a shoe or just left in the bell area after last maintenance and did the damage.
That statement made me think (imagine that). If a grain off the emory paper is harder than the metal and gets ingrained in the clutch shoe, it could heat up and collect more metal until you have what the OP showed.
That makes me very afraid of what I may have done when I serviced my whole CVT system not 500 miles ago.
I guess I will go back in and check everything out (and put on my new belt) before I take my upcoming long (for me) trip.

This thread has been very helpful for a newbie (me)!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I still think this is a very rare thing, no reason to panic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're correct, Quantum, I was sure that something got inside or broke off from somewhere, but I have looked over everything about 3 times now and all seems intact. Variator fins, chips on or in the case, filter in excellent shape, etc. - just don't see squat, so I guess we'll never know for certain. Everything gets thoroughly wiped down and air blown before re-assembly.

I'll do another thorough once-over tomorrow before re-assembly. All shiny metal flakes have either been picked out or fell out on their own during sanding. Other than the noise, it was doing great.

Thanks all for your replies.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Aroth, I don't think you need to be worried. Once you clean everything up it should be fine. Even the bell. It's definitely not anything to do with the clutch pad sanding material. It doesn't do that if any of that medium is left inside the bell. It just gets ejected through the air outlet exhaust or embedded in the clutch pads where it does no harm whatsoever. It's possible something entered into the transmission from the back of the clutch inbetween the pads during a wet ride where water has carried road debris into the bell. It's not usual but could happen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was able to mount the clutch bell on my wood-working lathe and use some emery paper to lightly smooth it out some as it spun around - just very little pressure. As you can see, there is only one noticable groove in the middle. No big thing - the rest of it now feels as smooth as a baby's freshly powdered butt.

Your probably correct, Quantum, probably came in thru the rear as there is absolutely no other damage anywhere else.

I will be putting everything back together tomorrow. Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it was mine I would just remove the metal bits from the shoes. I would not bother to smooth the bell nor the shoes - they will do it during normal operation anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts