Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 with 15K miles. When I replace belt and sliders, found out that nothing left on clutch pads, metal to metal and they ruined the bell. I had to order and replace the whole assembly ($476).
Is that normal wear and tear ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow. Must have been a lot of very slow riding to get that much clutch wear. I've got over 21K miles and can hardly tell my clutch shoes are worn!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm assuming you have the 400 due to the belt and sliders comment.

K7 was the first year of the new design and Suzuki didn't have things sorted out with the bigger engine. My first clutch only lasted 5k miles.

In K8 they switched to a five shoe clutch from a three shoe. Had to switch the Bell also to the tune of $600. It's much better and lasted 28k miles. I Replaced just the clutch recently. the bell was fine. Make sure they install an 08 or later clutch.

Another 07 "upgrade" was the muffler gasket. Make sure you get the 08 or later model when replacing it. Any rear tire replacement will require removing the muffler and thus the gasket as well.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My 07 clutch lasted until 35k. Did install a 08 used one from a member of this forum that had switched to a DP clutch. His had 3.5k on it & worked just fine in my 07 400. Plus couldn't beat the price.:D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The excessive wear might be because of the way you ride it. Don't take off gently. Take off hard and then ease up when the clutch is fully engaged.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
There may have been a Design flaw on the 07' Clutches i purchased one and it failed in about 4 weeks Metal to Metal.

Stock is not bad But to Slow! Overall.

right now running 2 shoe Polini

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There may have been a Design flaw on the 07' Clutches i purchased one and it failed in about 4 weeks Metal to Metal.

Stock is not bad But to Slow! Overall.

right now running 2 shoe Polini
There was obviously a design flaw, otherwise they would have kept it in the later madels. But the fix was good for the most part. I still get glazing every 5k miles or so. Just replaced mine in August and I already hear that familiar hum when is take off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have a '07 bought new and just changed out the belt, rollers and ramp guides at 26000, 3 shoe clutch still has over 70 % pad left. ride it hard from the roll off then back throttle off to where you want to cruise at. Severely worn clutches are nothing but operator error. By the way belt and rollers etc were all still in spec, changed because of age only.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Severely worn clutches are nothing but operator error.
So riding mostly two-up or living in Mountainous areas or lots of stop/go heavy city traffic riding cannot excessively wear a clutch... Only operator error can wear a clutch severely. Got it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
So riding mostly two-up or living in Mountainous areas or lots of stop/go heavy city traffic riding cannot excessively wear a clutch... Only operator error can wear a clutch severely. Got it.
Aggreed, operator error

A Heavy Person Can Destroy a Clutch and Belt and other Components,

I Only Weigh about 160 Lbs, But a Heavy 350-500 Punds person can take it's Toll On the Transmission Parts Fast, even Snap the Belt, Never had any Issue with any of my Parts Falling apart, But 2 Up like Liamjs, Said can wear these parts down fast as well, you have a 175 + 170 = 345 Lbs It's clear to see that These Scooters was not Built for Big Heavy Riders, Japan Riders are never Fat Always in shape and don't Weigh no more then 140-160

SO Question is that It would Last Longer for a Person that Under that Weight.........

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I checked my ‘07 clutch shoes at +20K miles and the shoes were in good condition. I tend to ride hard on the throttle and +17K of the 20k miles was with light weight Malossi rollers or the J Costa variator both which increased the rpms significantly during acceleration from a stop.

Also, I had more noise with my 2 '08 400s bike's clutches than I did with my '07 400 clutch.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We use the burg as a tourer, two up. Georgia, PA, Michigan etc. Lots of twisties and mountain/hill country. As I said ride it hard, quit slipping the clutch on roll off. Get on it, got It!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts