Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Burgman owner here. At idle, aprox 1200 rpms I feel a slight pressure of the bike wanting to move forward when I am at at stop. Is this normal for the Burg?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No. You should be able to let go of the brakes and feel no forward pressure at idle.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
New Burgman owner here. At idle, aprox 1200 rpms I feel a slight pressure of the bike wanting to move forward when I am at at stop. Is this normal for the Burg?
You might want to look at my post topoc (Clutch Maybe -- Not sure how far I will get) disassembly) as I Theorized in one of my last posts on the topic as to how the clutch works regarding the 4 Springs and the other Springs (black discs) betwen clutch fiber and steel discs.

Typically, I think you do not get much pulling until 1800 or more RPM. I am not going to say - you do not feel anything at idle, but better if you did not as it wouild mean there is some contact on the plates at idle.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If you put it on the centerstand, the wheel should not turn at idle, but usually does if just a little rpm added.
I'll agree with this with one exception. The rear wheel will spin on the centerstand until the engine is fully warmed up. Once it is warmed up then if you stop the rear wheel it should not start spinning again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 650K4 spins the rear wheel when it's cold but with hot oils everywhere, it doesn't. When cold (just started), I can feel my legs fighting the engine a little when pushing the bike backwards but that goes away also when it's hot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'll agree with this with one exception. The rear wheel will spin on the centerstand until the engine is fully warmed up. Once it is warmed up then if you stop the rear wheel it should not start spinning again.
My 650K4 spins the rear wheel when it's cold but with hot oils everywhere, it doesn't. When cold (just started), I can feel my legs fighting the engine a little when pushing the bike backwards but that goes away also when it's hot.
FWIW. I'm in agreement to both posts.

I have found that both my K4 and K7 Exec's have the tendency to spin the rear wheel when the scoots are started with a 'cold' engine, until such times as the engine/oils/fluids have warmed sufficiently. Can't say I noticed this with my new 2014 Burgy which I only managed to get 550km over 36hrs, on the dial before I wrapped 'er up safe in sound in the family garage in NZ and flew back to China. Expect to see that new ride again around October - all going well.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
FWIW. I'm in agreement to both posts.

I have found that both my K4 and K7 Exec's have the tendency to spin the rear wheel when the scoots are started with a 'cold' engine, until such times as the engine/oils/fluids have warmed sufficiently.

YMMV
My 2009 also exhibits exactly this. Everything cold, a little pull. Once warmed up, none.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
255 Posts
1200 rpm idle is a seems a little to high, but that could be due to the cool weather, the fuel injection enrichening system may be causing the high idle on initial startup. It would be interesting to know what the bike idles at once it warms up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I seem to recall 1200 RPM is the factory setting (I was looking at the throttle sync procedure for CA models a few days ago). My new '13 does not spin the rear tire on start up at all on center stand nor do I ever feel any tugs at idle. I can imagine that might be the 'drag' difference to older models.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I seem to recall 1200 RPM is the factory setting (I was looking at the throttle sync procedure for CA models a few days ago). My new '13 does not spin the rear tire on start up at all on center stand nor do I ever feel any tugs at idle. I can imagine that might be the 'drag' difference to older models.
My 2007 650 has been broke down since late NOV. I have been slow to start work on it and slow progres when I did. I thought clutch, have it a apart and made measurements tonight - plates seem in spec after 73,800 miels.

As I rememebr from whe I was riding it -- idle was 1200rpm (factory setting) and when on center stand (warm up cold it always spun the back wheel ). I cannot say for sure when warmed up -- I think it did then also.

When cold and droped off the center stand before departing -- I could feel some drag either at Idle or with just a little increase in rpm above idle). Did not feel that after warmed up.

Makes sense to me -- My MCs (regular shift, wet clutch) are noticeably more drag when pushing around when cold. And some time notce a slight surge when hit the starter with clutch pulled in and in gear while starting. Oil in there is cold.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have found this can be normal depending on idle speed. I have experienced it on my '09 at times. If you have a year that has the manual idle adjustment screw then adjusting it down will reduce it otherwise its just something you have to live with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts