Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising home last week , on my burger and a flatbed truck dropped a 6in. long half inch socket extension on the road in front of me . I was too close to breaking and time and I didn't have an exit path to the left or the right as I was in the center lane . I did the MSF quick swerve maneuver and missed it with my front tire. Unfortunately, it caught my rear tire and drove it all the way through the tire . This caused the tire to immediately to deflate. I was able to maintain control by maintaining my speed and slowly exiting to the right .
I put the bike on its centerstand and I was shocked to see a huge puncture as if a large hole had been drilled in the tire . The shop told me it was the largest hole they had ever seen a tire . From this I learned several things , too hopefully help out other forum members .
1. make sure you don't ride two closely to the vehicle in front of you .
2. The MSF maneuvers really do work . If I had not taken a class I do not think I could have avoided a nasty spill or worse .
3. It really is a good idea to stock a set of extra tires in the garage ! 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tire damage... but am very glad you were not injured. That's the most important thing!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pauljo said:
Just curious. How did you get it from there to the dealer?
I was very glad to have roadside service added to my insurance. I was able to pick any service and I found a fellow that had a rig setup for bikes.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I think the biggest thing for people to learn about your incident is that the Burgman was still stable enough to get you to safety because you didnt panic. Don't get me wrong I give your riding skills some credit as well.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
Did you add the half inch socket extension to your tools :lol:
:sign5:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy said:
Did you add the half inch socket extension to your tools :lol:
the shop kept it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Makes me wonder if the driver saw what happened...wonder what thought went thru his mind...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It all happened behind him. Probably, the first time he found out something fell was when he needed the extension on a job.

8) Claude

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That's why learning to break and swerv is so important, you have but a fraction of a second to react. Well done !

·
Registered
494 Posts
Glad to see you kept it under control and didnt get hurt! I was actually thinking about taking a refresher course this year. I clipped a BIG rock on the Buddy scooter and smashed the down pipe in half. The bus driver that was behind me told me at the next light he was shocked I didnt "kiss concrete" as I almost did crash. Luck kept me upright. Looking into the Advanced course first thing Monday!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts