Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Clearview XXL Windscreen arrived today. Due to several requests, I took some pictures of the New Clearview XXL vs the stock windscreen, the new Clearview vs the original style Clearview
that I have been using, and the New Clearview XXL on the Burgman 650.

They can be viewed at:
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/pauljo_clearview

Taking pictures of clear objects isn't easy - did the best I could. I think they came out well enough to show the differences between the screens.

The original screen was designed by Clearview without having a Burgman 650 to prototype & test it on. They did a remarkably good job, in fact I think it looks a little sleeker than the new design. It worked for me much better than the Givi had. Although it doesn't have as pronounced wings in the hand area, not much wind actually hit my hands when riding. I didn't have much helmet buffeting either, but my visor would snap shut at about 45 mph. Tall guy - needed slightly taller shield...

A couple of weeks after I bought it, they obtained a loaner Burgman 650 from a customer, did some windscreen prototyping on the actual scooter, and had some folks road test the prototypes. The end result was a screen that is slightly wider - and that has very pronounced wings in the hand area. The wings come extremely close to contacting the mirrors (which makes me a little nervous about paint wear because I think the screen will actually contact the mirrors if it takes a good wind gust from the front).
But they also added the XXL to the line, which is 1 inch taller than my old XL was - and being 6'6" tall, I can use that extra inch.

They were also kind enough to give me a 30% discount on the XXL, since I had purchased the early model. Unfortunately they initially shipped me a screen one inch shorter than the one I had, instead of the taller XXL. But they sent UPS to pick it up from me at their cost, and sent me a new XXL out of the next production run. They are really decent folks to work with.

I haven't ridden it yet with the new shield, but I will tomorrow. I can see over the XXL OK - it seems about right from sitting on the machine. They do make plenty of sizes for folks that are less tall.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allwalk said:
It looks great Paul, thanks for the photos. I see your concern where the shield comes close to the mirrors.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. There must be some kind of clear adhesive material that I can stick on the mirror underneath the windscreen. I don't mean scotch tape either... something a bit more durable and neater looking.

Anyone have any idea's?

·
Registered
733 Posts
pauljo,

A piece of " U " shaped rubber strip should look ok and do the job ??

Greg ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
pauljo said:
allwalk said:
It looks great Paul, thanks for the photos. I see your concern where the shield comes close to the mirrors.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. There must be some kind of clear adhesive material that I can stick on the mirror underneath the windscreen. I don't mean scotch tape either... something a bit more durable and neater looking.

Anyone have any idea's?
Get some door edge guard at any car parts store. You can usually get it in black, clear, chrome or (YUCK!!) gold. It should have adhesive in the groove. Stick it on the windscreen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What about using that product they are using on the front hood of cars to prevent stone chips? I believe it's a 3M product. It is a clear vinyl that is hard to dectect once it is on. When I had my wind deflector installed on my Ody it didn't quite cover the quarter panels at the front and the installer added about 2 inches of this material. You should be able to get it at any good tint shop or automotive glass installer shop. Or a cheaper alternative would be those little peel and stick silicone 'buttons' they use to keep wind deflectors from rubbing the paint off the hood of your car.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely having a problem with the left mirror being touched by the windscreen when I ride - and it started to put a small mark in the paint. And there is only about 1/16" or so of Clearance between the windscreen and the right mirror. The windscreen is aligned properly, but when I tighten down the screws for that black cover that goes in front of the windshield, I lose clearance on the left side more than on the right for some reason I haven't figured out.

I looked around the hardware store, but I didn't find anything good. I tried some 1 1/2" wide clear scotch tape, but it isn't really thick enough - it'll wear through very quickly I think.

I'll check the auto stores next. I'm reluctant to grind down the screen, although that would work.

Anyone else having this problem with the XXL Clearview?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought some clear soft vinyl door edging at an auto parts store. I put a 4" strip on each size, where the windshield comes over the mirrors. Of course the edging itself now contacts the left side mirror. But its probably better than having the hard plastic windscreen edge touching the mirror housing. I'll see how this works out.

I can't understand why some folks seem to have adequate clearance in that area, but I don't - unless Clearview changed their mold for the XXL.
I tried calling Clearview, but their offices are closed until next Tuesday (April 20th).

The wind protection I'm getting from the new XXL is great. I can ride with my helmet visor part way open even at speeds over 80 mph - even passing semi's at that speed. I like that, especially as the weather gets hotter. (It used to slam shut at about 45 mph with my older Clearview windshield.) There is some of that back draft effect (like the Givi), but it doesn't bother me that much.

This is the best windscreen I've tried on the 650, so I need to get past this issue with it contacting the mirror housings.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wll I finally got my Clearview XL installed on the 650 and I just love it. I have to look through it but I don't mind as it has completely removed the wind noise and helmet buffetting. My question now is: What is the definitive answer on the use of water sheeting products (i.e. RainX) on this type of plastic? If it is not recomended what is the next alternative?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Harold. I use slipstreamer mc plastic polish. quite a few people use Pledge furniture polish. Never use rain x

·
Registered
53 Posts
Use Lemon Fresh Pledge furniture polish in the spray can. NOTHING is better.

It is the BEST for cleaning windscreens and making rain bead up on rainy days. I have been using Lemon Fresh Pledge for over 30 years on motorcycles. My last touring bike was a 1977 Honda Silver Wing Interstate. After 20 years of hard riding, the windscreen and plastics were just like new. Use Lemon Fresh Pledge on your seat upholtery, all plastics and even on your engine. All are kept new looking. Even protects tires to keep them looking like new.

Especially great at removing BUGS that are splattered over the wind screen, even the corrosive Love Bugs.

Fred

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
And they say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" after a recommendation like that I am going to try Lemon Fresh Pledge. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Having just got the first 2 wheeler that I actually care about the appearance of, I want to know what everyone uses as a cloth? Will paper towels scratch the finish? Is there a particular type of cloth you prefer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
People have been recommending “Pledge” furniture polish to me for years but I never tried it, because it just did not sound right to me. When I bought my Burgman the salesman threw in a can of “Protect-ALL” polish/wax/treatment/protector all in one spray for all surfaces. This product worked great!, and it smells just like “Pledge”…I wonder… :?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts